Protege JDM cams question

so I guess the answer is yes its worth adding them with the turbo too? or are this just made straight up for N/A set ups?

Alright cool, just wanted to make sure lol

(silverp5)

I will see what we can do on getting some dyno information on a MSP.

-Derrick

I saw some dyno's of these cams on an otherwise stock MSP almost a decade ago...

It didn't give crazy gains (more than they do on an NA FS though)...but it did a great job of flattening out the mid range curve...it created a noticeably smoother transition between off to on boost...stock MSP's have a pretty peak mid range when the boost finally builds a little...which makes the car feel a little faster than it really is as all of a sudden there is considerable torque...but the cams will move that output a little higher up on the curve, which in a lot of cases is more useful...I didn't ride in a car with them installed, but I would assume just by the numbers it noticeably reduced lag and would DEFINITELY help with front wheel traction and torque steer on cars modified more than a stock MSP...

all i'm getting at is that they won't hurt a tubo'd car...these cams are truly not that aggressive in any direction, they simply help the head breathe a little better than it otherwise would (which is just about as bad as possible)...you don't have to have them, as you can get around the breathing problems with other modifications once turbo'd...and may end up wanting more aggressive cams in the long run...but if you want a more 'sleeper'ish' turbo'd car that is a lot more driveable with higher boost levels, these cams will help a lot...

why only on the 02+ protege? why wont they work on an 01? i kinda just want some top end power

They will work fine on a 01 Protege. They work on the 99-00 FP engines too.

-Derrick

CAM SHaft

They will work fine on a 01 Protege. They work on the 99-00 FP engines too.

-Derrick

So I'm trying to figure out if these camshafts are worth it I've built my protege 5 with a t2554R the stock MSP turbo set up but I wonder what kinda gains would I get with these parts?

So who knows the REAL fs ze cam numbers ?

Fsh9 for intake and fs9 for exhaust or what are they?

Not the revised one but the first ones that came out that would give more hp?

The original part# for the Mazdaspeed familia exhaust camshaft is FS9P-12-440 and the revised cam was the FS9P-12-440A, both parts have been out of production for over 8 years.

Our CorkSport exhaust camshaft we offer is based on the original part cam specs.

-Derrick

I know this is kinda old, but is this only the exhaust cam being offered by CorkSport and no intake cam? Also, will the gains of 5-7 be off of just the one cam? Thanks... I really want the CorkSport cam but I really only want to break into the valve cover once.

Corksport offers both cams. The exhaust cam is their replica of the FSZE cam which is why it's labeled as a Corksport cam and they have the FSZE intake cam there also. Scroll down the page a little more. It's labeled as a J Spec cam. The price has went up a lot of it though. Both cams used to be the same price.

yep they have gone up. I'm glad i checked the price lol means when it comes time to sell my jdm intake cam i can make a little more on it to make up for the twiggy costs lol

That yen to dollar exchange rate is brutal thus the price increase on the J-Spec intake camshaft.

-Derrick

They will fit the FP as well, they use the same cylinder head. The idle might be different though due to the smaller displacement.

-Derrick

Would these be a suitable replacement to my stock cams.ive got some wear and need to figure out if i can use these with a built motor,gt28rs at 14+psi tuned and almost completely modified motor/engine. My options are limited and i dont wanna payfor custom ground camshafts if i can do something like this or just get stock replacements.

Back