water to air intercooler

I know it looks pretty bad but its functional. And I can realy feel a difference at higher speeds and higher rpms..

Nice! I'm a function over form kinda guy anyway, so I like it, LOL.

CHIQLES, nice work in the w2a intercooler setup. I am currently working on a nearly identical system for my project car and I was hoping you could help me out. The car will be used for auto-x and daily driving in the summer. I'm using the same IC as you guys, I bought a small heat exchanger off eBay identical to one sold on frozenboost along with a fan that covers almost the entire thing to keep air flowing, which will be wired to the radiator fan.
1) What direction does your water flow?
2) Where did you mount your pump? Thinking of buying the Bosche Cobra pump, which doesn't need to be below the water source. But a live-well pump like the Rule or https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) have to be below the source right?
3) Do you need a reservoir? If so, it can just be any old reservoir with some hose fittings shoved in with some RTV?
4) As per the temp problem, is it because the car is sitting and the water absorbs the heat from the engine and sun?
5) Should I keep the heat exchanger fan on a separate circuit and control it manually?

1-my water flows from throttle to radiator that way the hot water is always leaving
2 currenty just sitting on the bottom of the tray. but will move once new radiator is orderd. I got all my pumps from the junk yard cheap vr6,bmw,cadillac have them on some models.
3 yes that way the system does not become pressurized. I used any reservior that fit how i liked it.
4 yes my goal would be small reservior and pump in the wheel whel
5 control the pump seprate and have a led switch to tell me things are running ok. And I some times leave the pump on while the car is parked and has not killed the battery yet. My fan is hooked up with the stock fan hope this helps..

FWIW, I had the Rule pump that frozenboost sells with their kits... lasted for about a year and then crapped out. IMO, you may as well go straight for the Bosch pump.

Thanks for the tips guys. As per the flow of water, which way is best to have the pump pushing the water?
A) From heat exchanger into reservoir
B) From IC into heat exchanger
C) Doesn't matter

I only just recently got the materials for the IC, so it will be a few weeks before I get everything hooked up.
DSC_0057.jpg

^^^ yep.

It's not super critical though, because the water temps should never really get that warm, but pushing through the heat exchanger into the IC will give you the coolest possible fluid where it matters. The important thing is that you want your pump to draw directly from the reservoir, and to have the reservoir at a high point in the system.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm now at the point where I'll be buying the fittings, reservoir, etc. I can't seem to find a reservoir that has two large openings, one for water in and the other for water out. Did you guys just modify the tank to accept a brass fitting? How do you keep them from leaking and the fittings from falling out? I don't have tap set, so I couldn't tap the plastic. Only thing I can think of is using a nut on the inside of the tank if possible, then use RTV to prevent leaks around the fitting. I guess a fitting through the cap would work too.

i just simi melted through with the brass fitting and then just screwed the fitting in but dont melt all the way through or you will leak.

If you want me to make my own thread instead of posting in yours, let me know.

I now have the https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) and the https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) in my possession. I have some decisions to make about mounting everything, because I don't think I have enough room to mount everything under the fender liner. The damn pump orientation messes everything up. Current plan is similar to your setup with a few changes: Radiator -> Pump -> IC -> Reservoir -> Radiator. I'm likely going to have to mount everything in the engine compartment, but I don't have to.

What would you suggest is more important for intake temperatures:
A) Intake cone outside of engine compartment
B) Water reservoir outside of engine compartment
C) Water pump outside of engine compartment

I think I'd like to keep the water reservoir in the engine compartment, because then it will be easier to swap out the water. SCCA rules for SM state you can't put ice into reservoir, but it doesn't say anything about swapping in water that was just sitting in ice or wrapping the reservoir with an ice pack in between runs.

answer A is the most important. You want to start with the most coolest air possible. no point in sucking hot air then wasteing energy on trying to bring air temp down.

side note my pump finally went out noticed my throttle temp was 20deg over outside temp. Ill have to look at it when the sun comes out..

Looks like I'm going to have a much more complicated intake build than I had anticipated then since I'll have to cut the metal to get the intake down in there, not to mention the curved pipes and such. Might have to get out to a metal supply shop instead of eBay this time around and see if I can save some money.

Sucks about your pump. Which one burned out?

Loving the use of the Lock-N-Lock container for the reservoir.

Here's a picture of my setup in my other car before I made the intake into a CAI, inspired by you guys.
DSC_0081.jpg

Back