Mazda CX-5 Ship Loading Tour in Japan (video)

Antoine

Administrator
Randomly came across this recent clip...Hope this isn't a repeat.

I've taken the tour at Mazda HQ in Hiroshima and saw a similar ship from the factory but we didn't get to see inside...Now we do...Enjoy! :D

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SNoRbXWPJfU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I wouldn't worry...Watching the Driver and the Guide (with his handy whistle) park the car was pure precision...Obviously they want to load the ship with as many Mazdas as they can safely and without damage...There is always the possibility of damage from extreme weather conditions and or mechanical issues with the ship...In that case, any damaged Mazdas will most likely be destroyed...A few years ago, a ship like the one above filled with Mazdas encountered some sort of technical mishap (no fault of Mazda) and tilted damaging thousands of Mazdas aboard...Mazda decided to destroy every single one of its vehicles aboard that ship. Fortunately for Mazda, I believe their cargo was insured. :)

See I always thought those were tow bolts in the front and back of the car. If you put your car in a ditch they can pull you out by putting in the tow bolt and hook to it. I had no idea they were used as part of the shipping process as well. That video is awesome.... I wonder how sick these guys get of driving cars :) Does anyone know how many vehicles this ship will hold? Always so curious how a car built here in Canada near Toronto (only 1 hour away) can cost the same as one that is put on a boat and floated to North America. This is a cool video, I would love to see a 1 hour long TV episode on Discovery Channel on this kind of thing!

Mazda decided to destroy every single one of its vehicles aboard that ship. Fortunately for Mazda, I believe their cargo was insured. :)

I would hope they would just sell it to a junk yard as all those spare parts!!! Would be awesome to pick through, upgrade your 17" tires to 19" get a spare set of rims for when you sell it or for winter tires.

You can find some good reports on that ship incident on line with a little searching. It came up in some thread a few months ago and I looked it up. If I recall, Mazda was so concerend about bad parts getting on the market that they shredded every car. I thnk it was well over 3000 vehicles.

The inside of that ship was ridiculously clean. I'd expect it to look more like your typical parking garge, with a little were and tear. I'f you've never seen one of those ships, they are enormous. The Port of Baltimore has two or three large sites where they load and unload the ships and there are acres and acres of cars waiting to be processed. They are along the highway on Rt 895 at the south end of the Harbor Tunnel. From a distance it looks like a new building has popped up the ships are so big.

The Japanese love to keep everything clean and in mint condition. If you've ever been to Tokyo or any Japanese city, you would be amazed by how clean the streets are. It will make NYC streets look like a landfill

dealer just called me to tell me my cx-5 just arrived in north america... wonder if it was on that boat :p

Excellent vid, I enjoyed that, thanks. I wish I could take that tour of factory, sounds like a great experience.

Thanks sdpadsfan, also hoping to hear from Vorret, as his just arrived in North America, I ordered mine Jul 13 an
d was told 12 weeks for delivery. They have confirmed it will be an Aug build so guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Last October we did a complete transit of the Panama Canal and in one of the locks the ship going through the lock next to us was one of those, and they are really, really big. There are some which can contain 6,500 cars, and I believe there is even a larger one, the MV Faust. We were on a cruise in 2007, and we docked in LeHavre in the commercial docking area. There was a car carrier close to us, and cars were coming off of it the entire 8 hours we spent in port.

Thanks sdpadsfan, also hoping to hear from Vorret, as his just arrived in North America, I ordered mine Jul 13 an
d was told 12 weeks for delivery. They have confirmed it will be an Aug build so guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Once it was built it took about 3 weeks for us to get it.

Back