Radio / Speakers on CX-5 SPORT model

I ordered 2 sets of Polk DB651. I decided to test my luck and not get the "s" slim mount version which have a shorter tweeter pillar and less speaker travel. Hopefully they fit!

Replacing the Factory Speakers in the Sport Model

Here are the full quotes from bluemike in the Speaker Size thread regarding door speaker replacement:

I didn't take any pictures when i installed the new speakers, so i will try to describe it in words:

In order to replace the stock speakers in the doors, I carefully pryed off the door panels from the bottom to the top. They come out a lot easier when you have a little plastic fastener removal tool (basically a little fork shaped pry bar that you can buy at auto supply shops). Note that you have to remove the screw holding the door handle and screw holding the inside door release (which are also hidden behind plastic pieces). This process was very similar to removing the door panels on my old 2006 mazda6, which I found instructions for. I wouldn't have tried removing the door panels on my new cx5 without having practiced on the mazda6 first.

I don't think any larger speakers than 6.5inch would fit in the doors. I cannot vouch for the size of the tweeters that are in the top of the dash by the A pillars because I only have the GX/manual transmission (I believe this is the 'sport' trim level in the US), and it doesn't have the tweeters.

All in all, installing the Alpine SPS-610s was a huge improvement in the sound - much clearer than the $0.05 paper speakers that Mazda puts in these cars.

The stock speakers come in a plastic basket that mounts into the door metal inner panel, and the basket contains the other end of the connector. So, what I did was rip out the stock speaker from the basket (I don't ever plan on putting the stock speakers back), fastening the new SPS-610s into the basket using self-tapping screws, and then soldering the wires from the new speakers into the connector in the basket. The assembled SPS-610/basket assembly goes back onto the door metal inner panel using the existing bolts, holes, etc. So now I have a pretty much "plug and play" system - the new speakers are set into the baskets from the old speakers, and since I kept the connector from the old speaker baskets, I can bolt/unbolt and connect/disconnect the speakers if I need to.

Now I really wish I had taken picture when I did the install. Oh well, next install I'll take pictures :)

Oh.... I would very much be interested in knowing if the Polk Audio db651 fit. The depth will not be an issue since they are about the same depth as the SPS-610, its the massive tweeter on the db651 that sticks out like .5-1" outward, which is why they provide custom grills with the speakers. db651s, the slim tweeter version, fill it with stock grills, but mid bass and highs are better on the db651.

Let us know!

Oh.... I would very much be interested in knowing if the Polk Audio db651 fit. The depth will not be an issue since they are about the same depth as the SPS-610, its the massive tweeter on the db651 that sticks out like .5-1" outward, which is why they provide custom grills with the speakers. db651s, the slim tweeter version, fill it with stock grills, but mid bass and highs are better on the db651.

Let us know!

My reasoning for getting the non slim models was obviously for sound and I hope they will fit based on bluemike's alpine speakers fitting. While those tweeters dont stick out as far as the polks (maybe .25 shorter but they do stick out) so fingers crossed.

Yes without issue. There is more than enough clearance under the grills as these polks have tall tweeters.

Just wanted to confirm that the stock non-bluetooth/touchscreen radio does indeed send power to the dashboard 3.5" speakers. Played around over the weekend and plugged in a generic speaker and worked just fine. Going to order the polks DB351 as well, but wanted to make sure the polks DB651 do indeed fit in the door panels to have a complimentary setup.

I believe color was power green was not. The door speakers should be coming later today by ups so i cant confirm anything about them yet.

Got a bit of bad news here.

The front door speakers will not fit a 6.5" round speaker without a custom inclosure to make the hole much smaller. I dont know what the other user was talking about that put 6.5" alpines up front. I thought there might be a way to reuse the stock speaker housing but its all one piece and very small to actually screw the speaker to. However, on the backs a 6.5" round will fit. However I need some extra speaker wire to finish the install in the back.

My question to you guys is will 6x9 speakers fit in this opening (im thinking polk db691)? or am I looking at a custom bracket no matter what?

and where can I buy extra replacement door clips (whistle)

20120529143952401.jpg

20120529144016746.jpg

20120529144127653.jpg

20120529144517766.jpg

20120529144849149.jpg

20120529145155684.jpg

20120529145203247.jpg

20120529145211117.jpg

20120529145252455.jpg

20120529145309368.jpg

20120529145914438.jpg

Rear door - I was able to use the bracket that came with the polk speakers to connect to 3 of the holes in the door. I had to bend the screw clips outward since the holes were too far away from the speaker hole. It turns out though that the stock speaker wire is just too small and I need to run out and get extra wire to add to the stock so I can have enough to connect the speaker in.
20120529150847225.jpg

20120529150858107.jpg

20120529152354467.jpg

20120529153621521.jpg

Nice write up! I think the other guy who put 6.5" said he had to use self tapping screws into the metal. Looks like the diameter is okay.
Do the 6.5" fit in that plastic housing?

I think it would fit but ud really have to hack the bracket apart and destroy the oem speaker. Im thinking we can fit a 6x9 or even 9" round if they made them. Id rather have the bigger speakers, right?

I think without using the oem bracket, just a speaker adapter, your going to be hitting the back of the speaker with the glass.
Have you tried lowering the window in the rear yet?

I dont have an issue with just removing the oem speaker from the bracket, even if it means destroying it. I am very not likely to be uninstalling the Polks later on anyways.
looks like db651 would fit just fine when the oem speaker is removed.

Last edited:
Yeah that did hit my mind. Maybe ill do the same. Itll save me time and money of returning them too. Ill finish the rears tomorrow and see about the glass. I forgot to lower it before disconnecting the battery.

I got them installed in the back using the polk provided bracket. There was the no fitting issues with the window as it is the same depth as the stock speaker in its bracket. Now all i gotta do is the fronts. I figure ill give it a try with the stock bracket. Another day tho.

20120529203923544.jpg

Last edited:
I was looking at the front 3.5" dashboard speaker connectors and brainstorming what I already had to use without building a custom cable.

Guess what, these little motherboard 3 pin fan extension connectors work perfectly!
ux_a11110800ux0152_ux_c.jpg

Their about $1-$2 a piece on ebay, one seller has (5) for $3.67 shipped.

Two of the three pins fit right into the speaker connector while still attached to the white bracket, the spacing between the pins is right with the last pin sits outside the speaker connector. All together, its a snug / secure fit and you just need to crimp some blade connectors on the other side of the cable and your done.

On the speaker side, I've read reviews on the polk db651 and the main negative seems to be the lack of low bass. So they might have been designed with the idea that a dedicated sub would be in place as well. Going to research some alternatives and maybe head down to best buy or another car audio place to listen to a some before buying.

Great stuff "nizzy"! Many thanks for the detailed pics. Now I know I won’t do it myself... :)

I was looking at the front 3.5" dashboard speaker connectors and brainstorming what I already had to use without building a custom cable.

Guess what, these little motherboard 3 pin fan extension connectors work perfectly!
ux_a11110800ux0152_ux_c.jpg

Their about $1-$2 a piece on ebay, one seller has (5) for $3.67 shipped.

Two of the three pins fit right into the speaker connector while still attached to the white bracket, the spacing between the pins is right with the last pin sits outside the speaker connector. All together, its a snug / secure fit and you just need to crimp some blade connectors on the other side of the cable and your done.

On the speaker side, I've read reviews on the polk db651 and the main negative seems to be the lack of low bass. So they might have been designed with the idea that a dedicated sub would be in place as well. Going to research some alternatives and maybe head down to best buy or another car audio place to listen to a some before buying.

Cool I didn't even think of that. I probably have a few laying around in a box somewhere too. As for the bass. Yes I'm seeing there is very little. I'd like to add a sub into the nook on the drivers side of the trunk in that crevice someday or possibly where the spare tire is.

I had a chance to stop at a Best Buy and listen to some 6.5" speakers. I use to do car audio sales/installs years back so I have some know how..

Speakers I listened to:
Polks DXI650
Pioneer TS-G1644R
Alpine PS-610
Kicker 11KS60

Polks DX650 were 7/10. They really need an amp to be driven correctly. The range was good and balanced speaker. If hooked up to a stock radio, they lack bass response.
Pioneer TS-G1644R were 3/10. They mids/tweeters way over powered mid bass, staging was horrible. Not a balanced speaker, very tinny. You would get a headache after a while listening to these. Very sloppy and minimal bass.
Alpine PS-610 were 9/10. Very nice low bass response, thought a sub was active but wasnt. Fantastic staging/separation and well balanced. If you dont want to upgrade to amp, these are perfect. no distortion at high volumes.
Kicker 11KS60 were.. I didnt spend too much time on these as they really need an amp to be driven. If you hook it up to stock radio, you will be disappointed with the volume and bass responds. Otherwise it was a pretty decent speaker, on par with the Polks.

So why did the Alpine PS-610 get 9/10?
- I want to listen to them in another store to verify the store's setup
- Alpine doesnt offer a 3.5" speaker... only a 4" which might be tricky to install but possible otherwise going to harder to find diff mfg to match

Otherwise is was the best of the bunch for my needs. If your going to be installing a amp then Polks or Kickers are very good too.

I actually have a Rockford Punch 360.6 amp with a 8" solobaric kicker enclosed sub, but too lazy to install it :)

Last edited:
I agree those might be the best. I have these speakers in my Jeep. The fronts I have the component version with the tweets in the dash. I have the regular ones in the back doors. Same setup as the CX-5 really. I would recommend getting the component version for the front and getting a 3.5 adapter to house the tweets.

Anyway, I'm driving these with a Kenwood X600F - 4-Channel amp

They can't handle the bass coming off that. I need to use the crossover at about 75 Hz. Any lower than that and they pop badly at high volume. And yes I have my gains somewhat correct.
So if they are just connected to the stock deck, they would be a good speaker I think. They sound extremely well in my setup. They are enough to get your ears ringing.

Last edited:
Back