Not boosting properly (tested EVERYTHING, can't fix)

Im having the same problem with my car. I sort of suspect my turbo going bad because ive been driving with a leaky oil feed line that leaks oil all over the turbo, however, my turbine spins smoothly with no play at all (intake side); Its really weird. I still have to do vacuum tests on my vacuum lines but i replaced them recently, but, i when the motor is running, i can hear a light continuous sucking of air (if you make "kissing" lips and inhale, it sounds exactly like that), and when i pinch the vac lines, it stops; i dont know if that means anything.

I also did notice two bolts missing and one loose from my exhaust mani. I can actually smell gasoline when my car is running, though, i do have a cat-less midpipe and thought it just might have been that.

As far as losing boost from a bad cat, i have no cat, but i did the non-fouler trick but I still kept triggering CEL that would go away and re-appear. I thought it was from my SRI with no tune and the CEL would only come on when i was pushing the car, but now im guessing again.

Im stumped as well and hope to find answers soon. If i find any answers I'll post on this thread and please do the same. I have my own thread open to regarding this issue but i dont know if i should delete it or what the etiquette is on that. I kinda want to leave it open though because even though we have the same issue, the details between our cars are different (you've already done plenty of tests, i havent. your car has mods, mine is stock)

Last edited:
take it to a muffler shop they can drill a small hole an put a camera and check to see if everything is okay.

Not to just jump on the bandwagon, but I'm having the same effing problem. Only hits 5psi of boost... And my fuel mileage has gone to hell- was getting 26mpg, now only 21mpg...

Im having the same issue, mine will only boost to 5psi at WOT and bearly will boost in 1st. But I think I found the problem right in the middle of my exhaust manifold there is a small bearly noticiable crack causing the exhaust to leak out before the turbo its unnoticable when the car is warm because the cast iron is so sensitive to the heat and will just expand and close it just enough so do you dont hear the leak.. are you getting any kind of exhaust leak ticking?

I have the same issue, at WOT right at 5psi, and almost no boost in first... But I have no leaks in the exhaust and this started suddenly along with the horrible fuel mileage. I manage a large, independent repair shop and have tons of new equipment at my disposal, but can't find anything obviously wrong. I've smoke tested the intake system and the exhaust system and all is okay.

This is the exact same problem I'm having at the moment...let me know what you find..

Im having the same problem with my car. I sort of suspect my turbo going bad because ive been driving with a leaky oil feed line that leaks oil all over the turbo, however, my turbine spins smoothly with no play at all (intake side); Its really weird. I still have to do vacuum tests on my vacuum lines but i replaced them recently, but, i when the motor is running, i can hear a light continuous sucking of air (if you make "kissing" lips and inhale, it sounds exactly like that), and when i pinch the vac lines, it stops; i dont know if that means anything.

I also did notice two bolts missing and one loose from my exhaust mani. I can actually smell gasoline when my car is running, though, i do have a cat-less midpipe and thought it just might have been that.

As far as losing boost from a bad cat, i have no cat, but i did the non-fouler trick but I still kept triggering CEL that would go away and re-appear. I thought it was from my SRI with no tune and the CEL would only come on when i was pushing the car, but now im guessing again.

Im stumped as well and hope to find answers soon. If i find any answers I'll post on this thread and please do the same. I have my own thread open to regarding this issue but i dont know if i should delete it or what the etiquette is on that. I kinda want to leave it open though because even though we have the same issue, the details between our cars are different (you've already done plenty of tests, i havent. your car has mods, mine is stock)

Got a P2006 and a P0660 last night. Have no more than 4lb. of boost now. I disconnected the wastegate completely and still wouldn't exceed 4lb. of boost. I'm pulling the intake piping to check for shaft play, and removing the downpipe to see if the valve isn't seating on the housing. I'm thinking I'm going to need a turbo. Anyone bought one of the ebay T25's?

Yeah man get those bolts replaced. Any exhaust that's leaking out from there isn't spooling your turbo. I had the same problem, but new bolts on and the difference was night and day. Might be something for the OP to check as well.

Yeah, it was a stuck wastegate. Wouldn't seat against the housing. Removed, repaired, and installed in a couple hours.

yea how did you repair the wastegate flap? My issue is during the day When I 1st drive it the power is decent boost is maybe 5-6psi. but after a while the will only boost 1-3psi and the turbo is not whining as loud as it usually does. However at night, when it was colder, she was boosting around 7 or 8psi whenever I asked and. I did have a exh. manifold bolt missing on the upper left side, so I replaced it. Now the upper right bolt is missing.

Last edited:
The steel sleeve that goes through the turbo housing had somehow (gotten really effin hot I guess) move about 1/4" out.. I took a torch and heated the housing up and hammered it back in. After I got it back to where it should be (there were witness marks) I took a punch to the turbo housing to help make sure it wouldn't happen again. I manage a large independent import repair shop, so I had all the tools and equipment I needed right there and had it done in less than two hours. I thought about taking pictures, but was in a hurry. I'm on my phone right now, but when I get on my computer I'll try to show you what happened/what I did to repair it using pictures I find online.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I just grabbed one of the turbos I had lying around so I could show what happened.

here is a better picture... yes this my turbo and I never built full boost tell about 4k

crap003.jpg

Last edited:
I can confirm that this issue happened to my car as well. No full boost till ~4000-4300rpm. Can visibly see the rod sticking out too far with an inspection mirror and a flashlight.

Has anyone figured out a way to fix the wastegate sleeve without taking the turbo off?

It took me literally less than two hours to R&I the turbo and get the sleeve back in. Not a huge deal. There's no way in hell that you're ever going to get it fixed without it being off, so just remove it.

Latest posts

Back