2010 Speed3 Tricky Clutch

Sparky, Thanks for the info. I will give it a try. My 2010 hatch is not a speed. The wife said no way so only a 2.5. Do you know if my version has a racing clutch? When I reverse out of my driveway, I have to go uphill. That brings out the shudder big time. Think I have been giving it plenty of revs but will try again in the morning. Thanks again all.

Sparky, Thanks for the info. I will give it a try. My 2010 hatch is not a speed. The wife said no way so only a 2.5. Do you know if my version has a racing clutch? When I reverse out of my driveway, I have to go uphill. That brings out the shudder big time. Think I have been giving it plenty of revs but will try again in the morning. Thanks again all.

Fred I am not saying we have racing clutches in these things. I was making an observation and a lame one to boot. What I heard is this is a new design. I wish that guy who spoke on this blog once to chime in again and give an explanation. How far do you rev up before letting the clutch out?

I bought the MS3. It's been well over 10 years since i drove a manual. I did drive 2 cars to over the 150k mile marker on the odometer with no problems before i drove an automatic.
I'm getting used to my 2010 MS3 clutch also. It feels as tho the engagement point is very high on the pedal. I Have to let it almost all the way out before it engages.
What i found myself doing early on was reving up pretty high while i was letting out, and "launching". Was quite a lurch, and chirping tires and such.
I've gotten more used to where teh engagement point is, and lighter on the throttle while letting out to get a bit smoother for normal take off. Like the OP i still feel like i suck at driving a stick. In the back of my mind I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the adjustment (if there is any). When I go in to the dealer for my first service, i will have it looked at.

This is the first manual tranny car that I've owned and driven regularly, but I've driven a few others as well - this one does seem to be much more sensitive around the engagement area than the other cars I've driven (1962 Merc 190SL, 1973 BMW 2002, 2000 BMW M Coupe) but I've gotten used to it and I dont shudder or jump when starting or shifting any more.

However, when I am backing up a hill, it shudders terribly. I hate the sound. I don't know why it does this, but even if I'm gassing it hard with the clutch only partway out it'll still shudder. It's painful.

I dont get any first gear shudder though, unless I just dont give it enough revs to start. The way I drive (I have no idea if this is "correct" or whatnot) is by giving it gas and then letting the clutch out as I give it more gas. It's how I learned, I don't know if it's actually the best way to drive (in terms of clutch wear) but it's smooth and I can do it quickly so whatever.

On a slight side note, my 2003 MSP shudders too when backing up. The service history for the vehicle states that "there were no problems found" when it was brought in to have the issue looked at.

Same for my 02 p5 definitly not relative to the ms3 but mine also shudders terribly when reversing up hill which i have to do everyday. But i can make it not by very slowly gassing and releasing the clutch.

we drive it today, me and the woman, and I found the clutch really easy to use. Even the woman found it much easier to drive then our last few mazda's.

Mind you, we are coming from a very heavy mazdaspeed 6 clutch that is very hard to drive for most until you get used to it.

I currently have 4 cars in the driveway, 2 nissans and 2 mazdas. All 4 have manual transmissions. There is nothing that jumps out as being any different with the Mazda's than the 2 Nissans or ANY other manual transmission cars I've ever owned/driven.

In my 2010 ms3, I'm noticing a "clunking" sound in the 1st to 2nd shift that I'm not entirely happy with. I'll continue to evaluate that though...

I have the same damn issues and i am at 4.9k on it. My 09 did not do this.

I'll never complain of another clutch again after having owned a 2006 Mazdaspeed6. It was INSANE, so much so that they made of TSB for it. Makes this clutch feel like a DREAM.

I can't honestly complain too much about this one. If you're not paying attention it will bite hard but IMO its nothing out of normal spec.

As for the "clunking", I've noticed it in the 1 to 2, 2 to 3, and sometimes the 3 to 4 shift. My car had 5 miles on it when i bought it and it did it then too. Sounds like it's normal to me...i've just learned to live with it. My guess is that it has something to do with the new revisions that were made to the tranny...I recall hearing something about how the ECU freezes for instances during specific shifts to limit some sort of wheelspin. Wouldn't be shocked if the addition of this feature is causing these sounds.

Last edited:
Im no expert in Mazda's, my new MS3 is my first one, but i test drove the 1st gen MS3 and it sounded the same...

Also, i come from owning a Mini Cooper S, and from what i know, all BMW's and Mini's alike have those same noises, i heard somewhere its the dogs crunching. Anyways, w/o all the technicalities, BMW's and Mini's sound like that because they're meant to sound like that.

Perhaps its the same with this gearbox?

I'm not noticing clunking between shifts, but I do notice that it's pretty tricky to do 1-2 and 2-3 shifts buttery smooth. I have a very precise clutch foot, and I still don't get those shifts as smooth as some other cars. My dad (who is never as smooth on clutches as me), had a very hard time being smooth in my Mazdaspeed when he drove it.

My guess is the clunking you guys are hearing is the tranny and/or engine moving around on the mounts due to jerky shifting. And my next assumption is this will result in premature failure of those mounts.

nah, it's not with movements, jerks or anything out of the oridinary that you're hearing it. Even the smoothest shifts possible will do it. It's definately right below the shifter that you hear it. Mounts are a highly unlikely source of this sound.

If you heard it in person, you'd agree. It's not clunking like metal or metallic sounding. More like a soft "thunk" vs. "clunk. Hard to put into words.

Yeah, I have noticed the same strange feeling. I've been driving stick for 8 years now and have had many different makes of cars and this manual tranny is one of the hardest i've had to get used to. I've had the car for about 5 days and 1st gear starts are difficult to keep smooth to say the least. The car does seem to really want to launch... which is all fine and dandy, but I don't want to beat on my car. Oh and in case you were wondering, this is a 3, 5door, Grand Touring. Reverse seems ok with mine, but I haven't tried it up a hill yet.

Some first gen MS3 owners reported from their test drives that the '10 MS3 was easier to drive and that the clutch engagement was noticeably improved. Maybe it's not that noticeable?

It's funny, I'm feeling the exact opposite but maybe I just need time to adjust.

I had an '04 Mazda 3 (totalled from behind a week after I paid it off) and I loved the old clutch. It was heavy as hell and my girlfriend hated it but to me it was a much sportier feel. You really had to stomp on it and it gave you aggressive feedback which made me feel more in control.

The new one feels soft, mushy and airy. It's all a bit vague for my tastes. Further, I feel like the pedal placement is much higher which I don't like because I like to hover my clutch foot over the pedal in lower gears. (In my area the driving is about 50/50 city/"highway" which means I shift frequently.) I may be able to address this latter issue somewhat by adjusting the seat and steering column. I've only had the car for 12 hours now and haven't had as much time to play with it as I'd like.

Anyway, I love where they've moved the shifter and the handling seems even better than my '04 but the clutch really bothered me when I test drove and I'm still not digging it. I guess I'll report back in a month but, from what I'm hearing, it sounds like there's no easy way to adjust the clutch to get a heavier feel, eh?

I've only driven one other standard car (2000 Protege 5) but my M 3 Definately feels alot heavier and more picky about where it engages. If I don't pay attention to the shifts I often find myself chirping the wheels. I totally understand about the whole "launching" tendancies too. (It was fun driving through SanFransisco this past summer...

I've got just over 10700kms on the car now and I guess starting to get used to it. I still have lurching changes in the lower gears when I'm not paying attention but I guess its not something you can't live with.

As for the clunking noises I think its kinda like the Mini Cooper S' they had an even louder "clunk" every shift. I don't really mind it, never thought that it could be a problem with the tranny or any of the mounts.

Dude,

Using the parking brake on hills is not wimpy. Check out some of the rally cars and you will see a mega handle they use for lots of applications. Use the brake and do not burn your clutch on hills. Clutches are tough but riding one on a hill at a stop light is no bueno.

:eek:

How was it driving stick in San Fran? Man, some of those hills are insane.

To this day, I still have problems starting off from a stop on hills. I'd consider myself a pretty well skilled stick driver in general, but there's something about hills that I just can't seem to overcome. Using the parking brake is for cowards, but I'll admit, when I'm on a nasty hill and I have someone on my rear bumper, I do reach for the parking brake.

Sometims I think it's more of a mental issue, if I'm on a steep hill all alone, I seem to take off just fine, don't even roll back much, but when I have someone on my rear bumper, I get nervous and I think it psychs me out. I really don't want to roll back into another car.

I think part of my problem is not wanting to slip the clutch at all too. Sometimes on hills you hear guys rev up really high and you can smell their clutches burning... that's one way to prevent rolling back and/or stalling, but I just can't force myself to abuse my clutch under any circumstances.

So what happens to me occasionally, I try to let out the clutch super fast to prevent rolling back, but I also try to make sure I do not rev up too high, so I wind up dumping the clutch hard with fairly low revs, of course if this is not done "perfectly", you will stall... and every now and then (well, maybe like twice a year) I'll stall on a hill.

The MS3 clutch is fairly easy in general though I think. I seem to have pretty good overall "success" when driving this car.

But... man, I think I'd be terrified trying to drive stick in San Francisco... some of those hills look like they're on 45 degree angles.

Hahahah I hear ya (laughing with you, not at you) (iagree)

SF was great, thankfully I didn't have any rainy days while I was there so it wasn't so bad. When I did stop at a light and have guys right on my bumper I did "abuse" my clutch a bit. But not much. Didn't use the side brake maneuver though. I was surprised that all those SF drivers would get right up to you on a hill though. Some of them would get right on top of me... (some nervous starts there). Funny thing is I guess b/c it was such a big deal with the hills I concentrated more on my driving. It was fun! The crazy part about SF wasn't so much going up (although I was wondering at what angle my car would do a back flip on some of those hills!) it was going down. Again thankfully I didn't have any rain while I was there but if its rainy I bet your car would slide quite a distance unless you're driving slowly. It was like going down black diamond ski slopes where you can't really see the middle part but just the bottom.

I think the biggest excitement while on my road trip was when a California cop pulled me over for failing to stop at a stop sign, but thats another story...

Back