Cold Air Inake for my MP3?

Would getting a cold air intake for my Mazda MP3 2001 make a difference in engine performance? It is even worth spending $300 for a good one?

they are all basiclly the same i went with injen i think it was 250, just make sure that it has a place for the sensors and you should be good.

No power gained really. Nothing you can notice anyways. Sound and a slight improvement in throttle response usually...

Try cutting a "path" through your front grille that does a better job getting air into the Stock air inlet. Just removing some of the top plastic piece will help more air come in from the front grille. Free mods are win! :D

Try cutting a "path" through your front grille that does a better job getting air into the Stock air inlet. Just removing some of the top plastic piece will help more air come in from the front grille. Free mods are win! :D

Don't know I wanna do that just yet. That K&N Filter is only $30 bucks. Guess I'll be getting that next! I've had my MP3 since I bought it brand new in 2001 and only thing I've modded are the lights and sound system.

Thing is now I moved and it takes 1 to 1-1/2 hours to drive to and from work, and need more punch to get in and out of traffic!

By cutting the front grille, you can't see it really at all... You can if you look for it with the hood popped. But it's nothing major like you're making it sound

Yea the aftermarket intakes are mostly for show and sound. No real performance gains from just an intake. But it does clean up the engine bay quite nicely..

It takes a lot to make a N/A MP3 quick. Back in 03-04 My MP3 was modded and i barely edged out a Intake, exhaust EM1(99-00) Civic Si. Kept up with My buddy's 96 GS-R with just an intake, And my Buddy's 89 CRX with a B18B LS swap.

I had the following mods:

Injen RD Cold air intake
Ractive 4-1 header
Custom cat-back exhaust
ACT 6puck clutch
Indigo Lightweight flywheel
SR motorsport cams
SR Motorsport cam gears
150lb weight reduction
Intake Manifold Butterfly removal
Yokohama parada Spec II's.

If your looking for performance out of this car. Your better off going F/I (Forced Induction)!

It takes a lot to make a N/A MP3 quick. Back in 03-04 My MP3 was modded and i barely edged out a Intake, exhaust EM1(99-00) Civic Si. Kept up with My buddy's 96 GS-R with just an intake, And my Buddy's 89 CRX with a B18B LS swap.

Injen RD Cold air intake
Ractive 4-1 header
Custom cat-back exhaust
ACT 6puck clutch
SR motorsport cams
SR Motorsport cam gears
150lb weight reduction

If your looking for performance out of this car. Your better off going F/I (Forced Induction)!

The MP3's IM already comes without the VTCS butterflies that everyone removes. The VICS butterflies that I assume you removed probably hurt your performance...

Injen RD Cold air intake
Ractive 4-1 header
Custom cat-back exhaust
ACT 6puck clutch
SR motorsport cams
SR Motorsport cam gears
150lb weight reduction

Man, thats alot of stuff u did. I'll probably end up selling my MP3 and just get a straight turbo car next time in the next few years. Well see how the economy goes.

The MP3's IM already comes without the VTCS butterflies that everyone removes. The VICS butterflies that I assume you removed probably hurt your performance...

I'm talking about the flaps that open and close inside the IM. The intake runners that open and close when you go WOT.

there are 2, VTCS and VICS. the MP3 did not come with VCTS, and removing VICS serves no benefit, and likely costs you bottom end power.

Back