Engine done

well man that sucks and i hope they fess up to there incompatence:) well bro i hope they take care of you and good luck(cool)

they will probably blame it on all his mods...if anything. good luck tho man, sorry to hear all this s*** happened to you. terrible news.

The dealer told me once they were replacing an engine on a MS6 and it was just over $11k but thats stealership pricing, I'm sure you can get it done a lot cheaper.

parts and labor this is correct

and what is the purpose of lowering the boost?

he was probably lowering from where he had it. you cannot lower it past the factory wastegate setting.

take your mods out of your signature.

just incase someone is lurking here

now you have an excuse to buy the protege garage built engine with forged internals and slightly lower compession so you can throw more boost at it.....$5k

You were running BCD WITH a sb? What were you using to monitor boost?
Was your sb tuned or was all values set at zero?

I didn't so anyof the installs myself. the guy that put on the parts moved away so hadn't had a chance to get the BCD removed. SB was tuned.

I never even realized, you have a lot of miles on that car! That is a lot of modding for a car driven that many miles IMO. Any news?

wow now im afraid of continuation of modding my car. i have 38k and about to put on an ap. i have pretty much all the bolt ons for the engine. just missing the exhaust mani and inlet....and im getting the inlet in a few weeks.

hey ken what do you mean the damage has already been done? do you mean before he even changed anything? or do you mean its f-ed up from "him" and the motor was ready to go at any time and it was only a matter of time

hey ken what do you mean the damage has already been done? do you mean before he even changed anything? or do you mean its f-ed up from "him" and the motor was ready to go at any time and it was only a matter of time

90% of the time, parts don't just break from one incident. sure, there are a number of cases where that one run someone with a speed3 at 25psi snaps a rod, but its more likely that prolonged exposure to certain conditions is what fatigues a part like the rod over time. hundreds or thousands of miles driving the car beyond its specified design, in an aggressive manner, will take its toll much faster on a machined component than would driving miss daisy. when i say the damage was probably already done, thats what i mean. if you've heavily driven the car at higher boost for a while - with a few other variables tossed into the mix here - one day deciding to turn the boost back down or perhaps even de-mod the car isn't going to change what you already did. engines are not dry erase boards.

well from your standpoint and having been in and out of these motors quite a few times....what would be an amount of miles of lets say semi harsh driving to start looking out for in such a situation? i know its a general question but would a high MS3 motor be considered 60-70-100 thousand miles? and if you say the damage is done and the vehicle cant just lower its boost or return to stock and poof....damage is gone....how should we be monitoring these types of things? obvioulsy gauges and scan tools but i mean...could this have been avoided like going to get a check up for clogged arteries b 4 the heart attack? or is it quite impossible to really make a judgement unless them otor is torn down? thanks.

It's quite simple really:

These cars weren't designed with respect to the "Any Turbo'd Rule Applies". You just can't do as much with this car as you can with other stock turbo'd, more easily tunable cars. It wasn't meant for that, and time and time again, people test that and get burned badly.

Don't mod your car heavily if it's your daily driver, and don't expect for nothing to happen out of the blue when it comes to mods of that degree.

Other than that, people need to stop freaking out. It's not as common as the same people who think hydrolock is "common" and "a danger". You heavily mod the car, expect to pay the price if/when it happens.

Other people will say monitor fuel, monitor KR, but at that point the damage has already been done. You can do all the preventative monitoring you want, but what would you do if you noticed things out of wack? Go back to stock? That's a waste of time and money spent.

regardless if he has mods or not, he has over 51,000 miles so it would be past the 36,000 mile warranty threshold then for the dealership covering it. I wouldnt think they would cover it even though it's less than the 3 years.

hopefully it's from that oil change, that would be awesome if that is covered. I work in car insurance in the claims dept, and the commercial dept gets claims for engine damage from oil changes all the time! Hopefully the will give their insurance info to you so you can file a claim with them and have their rep come out to check out the car.

Last edited:
regardless if he has mods or not, he has over 51,000 miles so it would be past the 36,000 mile warranty threshold then for the dealership covering it. I wouldnt think they would cover it even though it's less than the 3 years.

hopefully it's from that oil change, that would be awesome if that is covered. I work in car insurance in the claims dept, and the commercial dept gets claims for engine damage from oil changes all the time! Hopefully the will give their insurance info to you so you can file a claim with them and have their rep come out to check out the car.

Nothing doing... I have the extended warranty 6yr/100000. They say it was not from the oil change. As I figured. I'll post pictures later. They have it on the rack as we speak and will leave it there until i get there to take photos. Once the powertrain has been modded that just about voids that portion of the warranty. Now if my radio goes out... I'm covered.

My next question is are the fully built motors holding up or should i just buy something else?

There were 2 holes near the starter. The starter had a huge hole in it where the rod hit it.

Attachments

• DSCF1953.JPG
    DSCF1953.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 208
MS CAI, Forge BPV, Boost Tubes, AWR 60 Rear Engine mount, Corksport DP, Custom 3" Catback, NGK 1 step, Cobb AP, Air straightner (on the way)

im just saying here i roll with the these mods and 36k, trying to make sure the thing isnt going to blow up on me. im not 1 who wants to spend and extra 5k on my still making payments car. though i would own a rocket that wouldnt break but still. lol.

Its good to know eveyrthing he saw and how this all came about with or without warning so it can be either prevented, or found and acted on before it becomes a 5k job. im not all bent out of shape but i want to learn from this guys terrible problem

Last edited:

am i the only one that has a 5year/60k mile powertrain warranty??

Back