front end clunk??

Jspeed17

:
2003.5 MSP Titanium Gray
Anybody experience this? I've recently developed a jiggle/clunking in the front end of my msp, mainly while driving slow while turning going over bumps. Since i hit a pothole on the highway recently before this problem, I've checked every front end part on a lift, (ball joints, tie rods, sway bar links/bushings, etc.) and everything is tight!!!! My only other guess would be play inside the steering rack, only because i really feel it in the steering wheel.....anyone run into this problem???

My friends front bushings went in his MSP after 30k, but you said this started after hitting some nasty bumps and you're feeling it in your steering wheel. Maybe take your car in and get your wheels balanced. Maybe you threw a weight or two, which threw your wheels out of balance. Just a thought.

I think its a strut and/or strut mount issue. Mine makes the same noise under those situations but I've never hit a pot hole. 70K here and I don't think performance suspension parts are designed last that long. But my car is still reasonably tight so I'm in no hurry to fork out $700 for new struts + mounts.

Happens at slow speeds like i'm turning around in a parking lot going over bumps. Nothing to do with tire balance, brand new tires....Yeah i hit a seam from an overpass on the highway going like 70mph....everything is tight in the front end including sway bar bushings and end links....i pryed on everything to see if there was play, wiggled tires to check tie rod ends/ ball joints too....it's just another noise that pisses me off!!!!

I think its a strut and/or strut mount issue. Mine makes the same noise under those situations but I've never hit a pot hole. 70K here and I don't think performance suspension parts are designed last that long. But my car is still reasonably tight so I'm in no hurry to fork out $700 for new struts + mounts.

Could be.....Same here though susp. parts are seroius dollars!!!

Come on, I get a new noise every 5k-10k miles, it's awesome. I have a vibration in the right rear when the RPMs get up, and a noise from the front left that happens at certain speeds and certain steering wheel angles. It's great.

If you haven't already: Check where the strut attaches to the knuckle, make sure those bolts are tight. Check the bolts for the strut in the engine compartment. Grab the top and bottom of the wheel and try to wiggle it (top to bottom movement) to see if the wheel bearing is ok. Also check the strut to see if it's leaking oil. Check the coil spring and see if it's still correctly seated in the spring perches.

i was going to say check your ball joint since you said it happens when you turn on a speed bump but since you checked it thats out of the questioan , if you chekced the control arm , try checking if the ball joint is dry , just do what livelyjay said

Of all the things I've checked in the past, never checked those strut bolts. I'll take a look, good tip!

Of all the things I've checked in the past, never checked those strut bolts. I'll take a look, good tip!

Good point....i did put tein springs on awhile ago, like 30,000 miles ago. Really feels like play in the rack to me though.

Changing the sway bar bushings as we speak, had them in my tool box for awhile, we'll see if it helps!!! Thanks for all your help guys.

I've had this clunk since I bought the car march 07, I have checked for this clunk everytime I did any work on the car and still nothing. I guess its just another one of the many noises this car makes like stated above.

Changing the sway bar bushings as we speak, had them in my tool box for awhile, we'll see if it helps!!! Thanks for all your help guys.

Have fun. From what I have heard changing the front sway bushings is no easy task. Don't you have to drop the front cross member?

Checked the strut bolts, wheel bearings, strut cartridges for leaks and the tightness of all front suspension bolts. No problems found.

It's your endlinks. It does not matter how tight you think they are. Mine were changed last year (October) and they are bad again.

well if your going slow over bumps, your probably hitting your brakes. So it might be the slider pins for your front calipers.

I say this because i had a clunk just like this when i would go through parking lots at slow speeds. I thought it was part of my steering, but after i greased the slider pins the sound totally went away. This might not be your problem but it sounds like it.

It's your endlinks. It does not matter how tight you think they are. Mine were changed last year (October) and they are bad again.

(iagree)

i had a zx-3 that went through a set a year after i lowered it. they use a little ball joint at either end that has a narrow arc of motion. spherical joints with a tapered bolt are better... I think the adjustable ones that you see for sale use that setup instead.

The AWR end links suck. They break all the time. Stick with OEM unless you figure out how to build your own.

Back