Twisty Roads Directory

Lt. Dan said:
I've always wanted to go down and run the dragon, but I'm too worried about the cops I see in all the videos....

Dan

i think it depends on when you go. i saw 1 police car the entire 5 days i was there, and it wasn't anywhere near the Dragon. the dragon is quite an experience, but basically every road in that area is incredible.

it was really refreshing to spend time driving the roads, rather than the speed limits (which are pretty generous for the most part).

I just drove the coastal Highway 1 southbound in California last week. That road was also awesome. I saw a sign like the one below that said "Next 74 Miles"! That was the best drive of my life, with the sea right there!
007009.jpg

I made my passengers motion-sick!

apparently all i can do is second other peoples' suggestions.... :)

i drove the PCH from san diego to san fran a few years back. wow, wow, wow. i posted some pics on here somewhere.

Magazine Mountian in Arkansas! But be careful for the first hairpin on the downhill... It's why i've replaced my tires and front bumper...

Yeah, I was headed away from San Fransico, and decided to make a detour for Santa Cruz to hit the PCH.

^^ Heck ya awesome stretch of road. From SF South to about Morro Bay, PCH is awesome. Then when you get to morro bay, come inland and hit the roads in wine country. haha I love where I live.

I never saw this thread before... Nice...

From Davis, head out 128 toward Napa Valley. It pulls around lake Berryessa and splits into 128 to the north and 121 to the south. Both of these are nice but 121 is pretty intense in places...

pisgah highway is fun as hell too if you're in NC, always see bikes on that road, can't go fast on the parkway (big no no), but i don't see any speed limit signs on 151 (heh), till you get closer to Candler at least.

I live there too, so it's my favorite spot to go after work to get the knuckles white. Really tight and TWISTY.

I forgot to add that I also got to hit the roads out in Napa Valley too! Wine tasting and roads. That was one of the good things that came from my ex.

toucci said:
here's a great driving map of san diego county: http://www.redhotriders.com/images/ride_map.jpg

Palomar mountain is good stuff...

My route when I live in San Diego was out the 8 and go up to Julian, then west towards ramona until I got to 76 then up to mesa grande to Palomar mountain, then back to 76. At that point it has been about 2 solid hours of tire melting, and you can either head down 76 to 15, or do it again backwards...

Going out East past Julian is fun too. So is Japatul Valley...

There are some awesome roads down there. There are great ones here too though. Can't wait for summer so I can go up into the foothills...

You drive the P5 on Saddle Road? I was just there last October in a Jeep and I thought the wheels were going to fall off. All of the military tank tracks and pot holes... The road would be ok if it got some new pavement.

BTW, that's what the avatar is from...

garretts77 said:
You drive the P5 on Saddle Road? I was just there last October in a Jeep and I thought the wheels were going to fall off. All of the military tank tracks and pot holes... The road would be ok if it got some new pavement.

BTW, that's what the avatar is from...
Oh.. that part of saddle.. we mostly do the part past there.. from the mauna kea road to hilo part.

cjstringer said:
In Indiana, we have Lots of GREAT roads. Highway 135 from Morgantown south, about 100 miles. Highways 150 & 450. Highway 44 from Franklin to Martinsville. Highway 252 from Martinsville to Morgantown. All good stuff!

wow, this is old, but he's right. there are soooo many sweet back roads in southern Indiana. i've toured around the Bloomington/Bedford area and can tell you that it's incredible!

Nutari said:
Oh.. that part of saddle.. we mostly do the part past there.. from the mauna kea road to hilo part.

We went from Waikaloa to Mauna Kea observatory and back. I kinda wanted to keep going to see how the road was on the other side of the mountain, but we had put 1200 miles on the jeep in 3 days at that point, and were kind of tired of driving...

jk7d said:
If you're ever in the area you MUST drive on Route 5 between Williamsburg, VA and Richmond VA. there's a 30 to 40 mile stretch with the more twists than a helix. it's lined with trees on both sides so it's really picturesque in the fall - i almost ran off the road once. it's fun to drive these turns fast while scattering the leaves that have fallen. Also Rt 20 heading east from Charlottesville, VA but that stretch is only about 10 miles long but some very mean turns make it worth it - lots of yellow signs

(
)
(
)

Used to drive a Supra , but I must say the handling on the MP3 makes navigation easier but more difficult to drift.

you got to show me where this place is. i live in richmond, va havnt found any good roads to test my mp3 in. also my freind has a 87... i think supra and when he comes back from ny he would love to go to. or give me a map n ill try to find it hehe.... ill get lost lol

To get to route 5 go downtown and head out main street going east. It turns into Route 5. Main St. is one way heading west up until 12th street though, so don't try to head east until you're past that hehe. I've heard they've stepped up police presence there lately, though.

~brian

Back