RX8 wheels on a 6????

madmerv

:
92 Spec Miata, 03 Mazda6s, 95 Miata, 92 Miata, etc.
Has anyone actually TRIED a set of the RX-8 wheels for fit? I know Crossbow has 17x8's with a 48mm offset, and these are 18x8 with a 50mm offset, so it sounds pretty close.

Merv

Yup they fit...gotta roll the rear fenders though. Sec for photo.

P1000409_sm.jpg

car2.JPG

Tires pictured are 235/40/18 Proxy4's. And yes, they look wide as hell from the rear :). We haven't tested 245 yet...but steve swears it'll fit. I'm trying to find a spare wheel and tire so we can test fitment for everyone.

I think steve already sold his, but I'll ask if your still looking for an inexpensive set. He can't stand how much slower they made his car compared to the rx7 wheels and has been trying to sell them ever since he put them on.
http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?t=1856&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, pix, and especially the link. I think they look better than the MS6 wheels and the diameter(25.4) is a tick smaller than the 215/45-18s(25.6). I've gotta agree with Steve about which way to go. Leave the stockers and get some lightweight 16x8 wheels w/235/40 'R' rubber for the track. It reduces the diameter to 23.4 for an almost 9% lower effective gear ratio. In reality, though, the tire availibilty in 16's is very, very limited in just about any size, so my choice today is a set of 17x8 17.2 lb RP03's with some Kumho Ecsta V700s in a 235/40. That should make that baby fly :)

ive got 3 rx8 18s for sale if you know anyone looking for a few, i may be able to find a fourth but one of the original set is tore all to hell

Merv,

You should test fit a 17 on the MPS when you get it...(before ordering). It does have slightly larger rotors. I seriously doubt that a 17 won't fit...but its still best to check before ordering something.

crossbow said:
Merv,

You should test fit a 17 on the MPS when you get it...(before ordering). It does have slightly larger rotors. I seriously doubt that a 17 won't fit...but its still best to check before ordering something.

I plan on taking a tape measure and camera to the Tarrant County auto show in a couple of weeks and do some serious analysis of the "show" car. Of course, who's to know if a production model will be the same?????? I won't order anything until I've had the car for awhile. Who knows, I might like it just the way it is (drive)

Well I've already heard that mazda is making changes to the MPS final production model based on the negative feedback the reviewers gave them.

As to what those changes are, nobody knows 100% for sure. They said they're heavily trying to work on the "understeer" problem. Maybe it'll end up shipping with decent wheels and tires now!

Back