AC Shut off.. Can it be stopped?

krstofer

:
Winning Blue Mazda 3 hatch
I know the ac shut off allows for more power when necessary, but has anyone disabled this or know how to do it. The way I drive the AC cuts of all the time. I don't necessarily need the power all the time though.

Krs

a/c shutoff can be stopped.....by removing the eintire a/c. That would give you so hp but you loose a/c (burn)

NEVER!!!!
I read in another forum it might be able to be adjusted to a higher RPM. Someone with the 8 had it done.

they are all difrent a/c units...I already had parts replaced. trust me if you had the A/C we got you would be asking us how to make it stop putting out frost on the windows at 109 degrees f! From the trail of complaints...the 3 has the same problem with the a/c as the protege's it replaces.

Last edited:
Da 6 said:
they are all difrent a/c units...I already had parts replaced. trust me if you had the A/C we got you would be asking us how to make it stop putting out frost on the windows at 109 degrees f! From the trail of complaints...the 3 has the same problem with the a/c as the protege's it replaces.
What do you mean that you already had parts replaced? Can someone explain the technicalities of why the shut-off can't be disabled? What is the mechanism that does the shut-off? What about using a smaller pulley for the compressor? Thanks in advance.

Can someone explain the technicalities of why the shut-off can't be disabled?

The shuttoff is controlled by the PCM. All you have to do is crack the PCM code....(attn)

crossbow said:
Can someone explain the technicalities of why the shut-off can't be disabled?

The shuttoff is controlled by the PCM. All you have to do is crack the PCM code....(attn)

Thanks for the reply, Crossbow.

PCM? Something Computer Module, right? OK. If so, what does the computer control? A clutch on the compressor, maybe?

Also, what effect would a smaller a/c compressor pulley have?

Gharari,

The computer controls everything. It even has the ability to cut back on the generator's production at higher rpm.

The rx8's AC was adjusted to increase the shutoff rpm just from a simple PCM update. It was a hidden update, and only occured after a large % of the community complained to mazda. (The original rx8 shutoff rpm was around 4500 rpm...which is silly on a car with a 9000 rpm redline :) )

I read about that RX-8 fix. It involved changing an electronic AC component. It looked expensive. I would think that enough people have complained by now, from reading some of the letters that were sent in to Mazda (posted on this board). I beleive that Mazda has decided that the fix is not cost effective for Mazda to put out at this time.

Anyway, what I was getting at is this:

Since the compressor is a mechanical part, probably with a electronic controlled clutch, what if you replaced that clutch, or replaced the compressor?

Another idea is changing the A/C pulley to a smaller size, causing the compressor to be turned faster.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Back