CX-90 AC system powered by..?

:
Mazda CX 5 Touring
Hi, this is a question for all the version EV, PHEV, and hybrid. If you can help me out.

Can the ac system be run off the car 48V or 12V (with power transfer from 48V). Sometime I sleep in the car for a few hours and that would be nice not having to turn the car on.

My sister's Kia Sportage hybrid can not do this. Ie runs off 12V. Even when it has a 1.49kWh battery. What is even more annoying is aggressive battery management. It won't allow discharge pass 50% AND don't charge pass 90% often. Even when Kia says it runs most efficient on battery charged.

Waiting for the kids, when car is "on". Engine shut down, and it does use 48V. But that last about 15 min. Then it turns on and charge for 2 min... But not till 100%...I rather it turns on at 20%, charge to 95%. This gives a bigger window before engine turns on. I know Telsa is moving to all 48V, not a dual system.

Yes, you can plug your charger in and then go to settings for the EV side of the car menu. There is an item to allow you to schedule preconditioning of the interior. It does not run indefinitely but if you tell it you are going to leave at 9pm it will heat starting at 8pm. You would then have to setup another schedule for 10pm etc. for as long as you are in the car.

Ty. But I ment unplugged. For example, I work night and once I go home in the morning..I still have to drop the kids off at school. Usually this mean 7-9am rush hour. I would normal just pull in the parking lot and sleep with engine running for a few hours.

My room window mount AC use about 1KW in 6 hours. So withs decent battery pack, I do hope to sleep in the car a bit 😏.

I'm in Florida. I'm looking for AC. A normal car battery is 1200W at max discharge. So even a small heater at 600w per hour would kill it. Those starter batteries isn't designed to do that. Doing so would kill the 12V battery. That is why deep cell type for 50% discharge and lithium / lifpo4 for 90%exist. Ty for your feedback

From my understanding, seem most of these runs on a hybrid air compressor. Which all runs on main 12v. So engine do turn on to top off the cell.

Maybe one day they swap the lead battery with lifepo4. This would allow a deeper drain, but software needs to be adjusted.

Only one that might change is Telsa...they want to switch to 1 battery only. 48V. But they got a bad track record on doing some horrible setup.

Like if battery is dead, you can't even open door. The physical latch don't exist.

The electric ac plug in the back is supported by the large EV battery, not the 12 volt. It utilizes the AC/DC inverter. I'll look it up in the manual. Here it is:
"The e-SKYACTIV PHEV is a hybrid system with the ability to recharge the battery from an external power supply, and achieves both excellent fuel economy and power performance by efficiently combining EV driving, which runs solely on electricity, and driving using both the engine and motor.
The e-SKYACTIV PHEV can supply power stored in the high voltage battery to electrical appliances.
Refer to AC Power Outlet (120 V/ 1,500 W) on page 7-50."

"AC Power Outlet (120 V/1,500 W)
The AC power outlet (120 V/1,500 W) provides power for household electrical appliances while the vehicle power is switched ON (hybrid system off)."

From 7-50:

"The AC power outlet can be used as a power source for household electrical appliances when the vehicle power is switched on and the hybrid system is not operating.
Use only electrical appliances with a maximum power consumption of 1500 W or lower and AC 120 V/60 Hz."

Read the warnings posted there such as this one: "
Do not use heat appliances such as a stove in the cabin. Otherwise, the interior parts may melt or burn due to heat."

Last edited:
Back