Brake Problem - Why don't Recall?

joeblack

Hi,

I have my 3 for just 2 months and I start to hear the squeeze sound from my brake discs at the back. The squeeze sound is definately created from metals and I checked my brake discs and found out there are some cracks on it.........seems like the brake pads were totally gone away. I tried to take my car to my dealer and the salesman also saying that I should take the car to service as the brake discs should under waranty. He said he did not know why the cracks started to exist on the discs (both 2 sides).....because it is a brand new car.

It is so obviously that there are some structural problems on the brake system of the new M3.....however, I think Mazda has noticed this problem but they still relutance to make a "recall" as it would hurt the sales performance of the 3..........since the 3 just launches for half year.

I hope you guys can continue to post the brake problem in other media so as to create more pressure to Mazda for a recall....otherwise, our lives may be fallen in risk........

If you have a problem with your car, take it to the dealer. If the pads are cracked, they'll replace them. Don't sit and wait for a recall that will never arrive in your mail.

My point is we should address this problem to Mazda seriously and to create more pressure for a recall. If not, many consumers would suffer this kind of unfair treatment from Mazda. Please think about the other people instead of yourself.

In fact, I have an appointment for fixing the rotors' problem but I have to wait for about 2 weeks since the bookings are full.........

joeblack said:
My point is we should address this problem to Mazda seriously and to create more pressure for a recall. If not, many consumers would suffer this kind of unfair treatment from Mazda. Please think about the other people instead of yourself.

In fact, I have an appointment for fixing the rotors' problem but I have to wait for about 2 weeks since the bookings are full.........

Just wondering, are you expecting people who don't have the same problem as you to call up their dealers and/or Mazda and b**** about some problem they read about in a internet forum even if their experience differs?

Sure discussion of a problem is fine but everything seems so random at this point. Maybe if people who had the problem posted build dates, model numbers, options, location. Maybe you could do a poll and ask how many people have cracked discs like you. I don't know just an idea.

joeblack said:
Hi,

I have my 3 for just 2 months and I start to hear the squeeze sound from my brake discs at the back. The squeeze sound is definately created from metals and I checked my brake discs and found out there are some cracks on it.........seems like the brake pads were totally gone away. I tried to take my car to my dealer and the salesman also saying that I should take the car to service as the brake discs should under waranty. He said he did not know why the cracks started to exist on the discs (both 2 sides).....because it is a brand new car.

It is so obviously that there are some structural problems on the brake system of the new M3.....however, I think Mazda has noticed this problem but they still relutance to make a "recall" as it would hurt the sales performance of the 3..........since the 3 just launches for half year.

I hope you guys can continue to post the brake problem in other media so as to create more pressure to Mazda for a recall....otherwise, our lives may be fallen in risk........

It's not that is would hurt the sales performance, it's that this would be one of the most expensive recalls and we all know how cheap Mazda is.

dulog said:
Just wondering, are you expecting people who don't have the same problem as you to call up their dealers and/or Mazda and b**** about some problem they read about in a internet forum even if their experience differs?

Sure discussion of a problem is fine but everything seems so random at this point. Maybe if people who had the problem posted build dates, model numbers, options, location. Maybe you could do a poll and ask how many people have cracked discs like you. I don't know just an idea.

Not everyone have cracked discs, but a lot of ppl have problems with there discs.

So I should call up Mazda and complain becauce "a lot of ppl have problems with there discs"? I'm sure they'll appreciate the generalizations and my lack or research to come up with these assumptions.

good luck....unless there is incidents where you were on the highway and had to stop and apon a nice pedal stomp nothing happened. the nice lil circle vented rotors are also a problem on the 6. that meants 03 and 04 6 and the 04 3 would need to be recalled. This isn't a focus so thats not gonna happen soon. I had people with 2k1 focuses and still recieve recall notices till this day...reason I opted for a neon. as for cracks...how many miles when you got it and do you have abs?

I think we really should start a new poll to keep record on those who get problems on the brake rotors in order to show some evidence to Mazda.

Da 6 said:
good luck....unless there is incidents where you were on the highway and had to stop and apon a nice pedal stomp nothing happened. the nice lil circle vented rotors are also a problem on the 6. that meants 03 and 04 6 and the 04 3 would need to be recalled. This isn't a focus so thats not gonna happen soon. I had people with 2k1 focuses and still recieve recall notices till this day...reason I opted for a neon. as for cracks...how many miles when you got it and do you have abs?

It actually happened to me this winter on dry roads, the brakes did not respond, everyone in front of me was panick braking for some reason, I responded imediately, held the pedal down as hard as I can, It did not respond much whatsoever, I hit the person in front of me, Absolutely nothing happened to either vehicle, thank G-d for that.

Happened To Me Too Except It Cost Me A Hood And Front Bumper! The Brakes On These Cars Are s***!!!!! (along With The Tires) But Mazda Will Never Admit It!
Anyone Have That Irratating Squeeking Noise Coming From Their Back Brakes?

any aftermarket rotors and pads out yet? say screw going with stock, if they are sub par.

Nope.

rockstar3 said:
Happened To Me Too Except It Cost Me A Hood And Front Bumper! The Brakes On These Cars Are s***!!!!! (along With The Tires) But Mazda Will Never Admit It!

Sorry to hear of your brake troubles and subseqent front end trouble. I don't have any squeek from my brakes but I dont't think it's fair to blame Mazda fro Goodyear's bad tires. Just so we are on the same page, I agree the tires are bad and I agree there is a problem with the brake pads (my opinion they are to "soft") I plan on replacing the pads and the rubber as soon as they wear out, which won't be long by the looks of the dust on the rear rims and the reputation of Goodyear's bad tires.

Tim

as for the brakes....they stop the tires...tires stop the car....the tires on your car and my car are just enough to "Get By" I had an incident where I had to lock up my non abs brakes and had a dyre need for two tires asap after that 6-8 second skid. I guess I had the anti spin thing cause I turned my steeringwheel hard right to swerve the truck before lossing traction...and even after the tires unlocked I managed to pull out of the slide with no body damage. I will tell you this if you alredy lock your brakes don't upgrade them cause if it took 2 seconds to lock up stock big brake kit will lock you up at 1.4 seconds and make things worse....best bet is get better tires then if you need brakes go for it...

for the record mazda 6 gets bad MXV4+ michilins

Last edited:
Da 6 said:
as for the brakes....they stop the tires...tires stop the car....the tires on your car and my car are just enough to "Get By" I had an incident where I had to lock up my non abs brakes and had a dyre need for two tires asap after that 6-8 second skid. I guess I had the anti spin thing cause I turned my steeringwheel hard right to swerve the truck before lossing traction...and even after the tires unlocked I managed to pull out of the slide with no body damage. I will tell you this if you alredy lock your brakes don't upgrade them cause if it took 2 seconds to lock up stock big brake kit will lock you up at 1.4 seconds and make things worse....best bet is get better tires then if you need brakes go for it...

for the record mazda 6 gets bad MXV4+ michilins

Better (and susbsequently bigger) braking systems will actually be LESS likely to lock sooner (assuming the same tires and treadwear)...

http://www.baer.com/Support/FAQ.aspx#24 said:
I can already lock my brakes (or engage the ABS), so what can a better brake system do for me?

Although virtually any brake system can be spiked into locking a rotor or activating the ABS, the true measure of a performance brake system is how close it allows you to come to the point just shy of locking. This is affected by a number of elements. Some of the most important are caliper stability and leverage affect on the rotor, which increases with rotor diameter. In simple terms, the more stable a caliper and the more evenly it can apply the pads to the rotor surface, the faster your car will stop.

I was in Vancouver last weekend browsing dealers and 2 of them had staff MZ3 Sports parked in the lot and both of them had an obscene amount of brake dust on the rear mags. Another one in Richmond had the same thing. I pointed it out to the salesmen and asked what they knew about the problem and they said they haven't heard anything and that it had not been an issue.

Is the issue of notchy 1st and 2nd gear in the Manual Tranny and this brake issue reason enough not to get a 2004 MZ3??

rockstar3 said:

Damn, How much did the bumper end up costing? And you are so right about Mazda not admiting the bad brakes and tires.

I find it funny. cause I have no problems with brake dust on my rear wheels, just braking fluid which is normal, the front brakes though are s***. my rear brakes function like nothing else, they are good. My front ones look like they have seen everything there is to see.

Btw, how long do you think the brakes will last on the Mazda 3?

I will take my car to fix today.....and I will know whether the squeeking sound and the cracks on the rotors are due to the worn down of the brake pads or not.....will inform you guys later once I clarify with the technician. If this is due to the worn down of the brake pads, then, I will assume it only last for around 3 months.

I had one incident where I was not paying attention and traffic in front of me stop. My Mazda3 stopped on a dime. I have not had any problems with my brakes, they seem to be very good.
And it was the 2000 Ford Focus with the recalls.
I don't see a recall happening.

--Herb--

Back