And Another One Bites the DUST

:
Mazda 6s Lapis Blue / Mazda3 5-door Sunlight Sliver
Well, you can add my car to all the other statistics on Mazda3 first year car problems. I have read all the threads on brake dust, so I checked mine the other day. I found some pretty large grooves/valleys in the back rotors. I contacted Mazda and my dealership and I'm waiting for a responses. The front rotors seem to be ok, but I do notice some suspicious lines showing up...And I know this isn't that big a deal and can easily be resolved, but it's a little frustrating.

(dunno)

damn that sucks. ill have to keep an eye on mine. at least its all covered by warranty=).

I'm glad to hear that....from the title of thread it sounded like you totaled it!

Ok, so the dealership called me and this was their responce, "Well, some grooves and valleys are normal wear and tear produced by the high density brake pads that are used in todays cars." Ok, I'm no mechanic, nor do I pretend to be, but that sounds a little off to me. I have never experienced this kind of damage to the rotors.

Has anyone else experienced this as normal wear and tear (excluding Mazda3 owners)?

um..the 3s are well known for letting little rocks under the brakepad.
Jamie had that happen to his 3sport, like a month after he bought it... I haven't asked since, but last i heard, he was going to get it fixed at the dealership...

and it does sound weird that 'valleys and grooves' are normal... cuz they shouldn't be.

"yeah, ignore those flames from your engine, it's normal in today's cars"

yeah it's the new craze....forget crossdrilled and slotted...new mazdaspeed circle vented rotors. Hills and vallys are used in another term...I won't go there. if the tire falls off that's cool cause the rotors are vented for traction and designed for snow use. don't worry the oil in the cars today are designed to outlast the car and you.

Last edited:
I notice some grooves and valleys on the front rotors of my 3 and there is a lot of brake dust, so I guess you can add my car aswell to all the other statistics on Mazda3 first year car problems.

Dont forget that Alfa Romeo did the suspension.... Saaweeeeet! If that dealer doesnt want to fix it then go to another and get it done. Try and call the service manager and tell them a thing or two.... B03M

P.S. I have a 3 too.

But I just want to make sure of one thing, the brake calipers on my car are completely rusted, I'm sure this shouldnt be normal even though they salt the roads a lot here in the winter, I mean I see older cars with brake calipers that arnt rusted at all and besides this car is only 6 months old. Is this considered normal wear and tear? I really hope it isnt, if not I will go see my dealer.

Mikey444 - please put your location in your profile. But if you're in a snowy (salty) area of Canada for example, then rust on calipers after one winter of day-to-day use is to be expected. But even if it is rusted, it's function is uneffected.

most rotors will be rusted the night after a rain or if its damp out. that normal. and depending on the grooves and valleys not all brake pads wear smooth. ive seen it with several other cars. its hard to tell wether its fie or something seriously wrong without actually being able to see it.

and as one person above said, if one dealer service department isnt treating u right, go to antoher, there are other dealerships that will be willing to work with you in hopes of getting your business.

Lil Freek, I thought Jamie said that the grooves in this rotors were caused by the brake pad because the company that did the brake pads put their logo on it and that's what ripped through the rotors....if thats the case the dealership should have told you guys.

Back