Just installed Borla muffler [56Kwarning]

Mazdaspeedgirl

Resident Autocrosser
:
99 10AE MX-5 | 2016.5 CX-5 GT
Easiest bolt-on evAR!

It took me all of 20 minutes! The thing that took the longest, of course, was coaxing the stock muffler out of the rubber hangers. :D Fits like a dream and weighs (I swear) 15 lbs less than the stock one.

Thanks to elfhearse of the board for selling it to me for $125. :)

akio_borla1_sm.jpg

akio_borla2_sm.jpg

akio_borla4.jpg

akio_mckenziepark3_sm.jpg

I wish I could share it, but those who go to the Mazda Texas meet will hear it.

It sound very nice. Not overbearingly loud, but a definate rumble. No tinniness or drone. Definately no rice-can fart sound. :cool:

That combined with the intake sounds great. My baby turns even more heads now. :)

At first I was questioning whether or not I'd like the red carbon fiber, but I like it now.

yer welcome... I even broke it in for you.
(The red CF was the only option Borla had when they came out with the exhaust. Not the greatest choice but it's not real visible down there underneath the valance.
Definitely not a grapefruit shooter noise...

Neat looking. =) Wow... That's a really cool concept; Trailering tires WITH the car you're racing in! The Protege5 is nice, though, 'cause I can just throw them in the back. =) Though at 16", running 205/50R16's, it's a bit of work to orient them properly. Hehee.

Not a fan of that Tip...but I'm glad you like the new set up! :)

Oh - And SOMEBODY should freakin ENABLE PHOTOS in this forum :)

akio_borla2_sm.jpg

You wanna be careful that it's not touching your bumper cover. I did that w/ my old car it it melted the paint right off! :eek:

It looks GREAT

elfhearse said:
yer welcome... I even broke it in for you.

Yes u did. thanx! :D

And is it just me or does it get a bit louder when the exhaust warms up?

(The red CF was the only option Borla had when they came out with the exhaust. Not the greatest choice but it's not real visible down there underneath the valance.
Definitely not a grapefruit shooter noise...

lol--grapefruit shooter! I have come to love the red carbon fiber. At least there is the red form the taillights that it goes with. It's not like it's hot pink. ;)

Last edited:
flat_black said:
Neat looking. =) Wow... That's a really cool concept; Trailering tires WITH the car you're racing in! The Protege5 is nice, though, 'cause I can just throw them in the back. =) Though at 16", running 205/50R16's, it's a bit of work to orient them properly. Hehee.

heh...most of my friends that raced proteges did the same thing. ANd the guys who ran miatas/ vettes/ ect had teenie trailers too. (thumb)

Then there's the pro's that have their cars on trailers with toolboxes and racks to place their tires on. one day...:D

Last edited:
Re: Re: Just installed Borla muffler [56Kwarning]

funnylittlman said:
You wanna be careful that it's not touching your bumper cover. I did that w/ my old car it it melted the paint right off! :eek:
Oh, yah. It barely clears it, but doesn't get too hot to the touch. :)

StreetPreacher said:
Ok, that makes sense, I figured it had to be pretty small.

It's cute, did you build it yourself? :)

-Sp
lol...nope. It came with the car when I bought it from it's previous owner. he autocrossed the car since it was brand spankin new. :)

It's one of those little $200 trailers you can get at Harbor Freight Tools. Now the hitch is custom made for the miata and cost twice as much as the trailer. :eek:

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
It's one of those little $200 trailers you can get at Harbor Freight Tools. Now the hitch is custom made for the miata and cost twice as much as the trailer. :eek:

Yeah, if you can't get a mass market hitch, those specialty one's cost a fortune!

The car looks amazing! I'd love to see it in action, got any race videos?? :D

-Sp

I can't afford a digicam yet. :(

But go to my cardomain page in my sig to see some autocross pix. :)

think there's even one of me in the car...all bundled up in a jacket cuz it was 40 degrees. :D

edited for st00pid spelling

Last edited:
so you think it's the car and muffler that are getting you the "head turns"....i bet it's something else diane! nice job by the way!

Back