AEM plug and play

I am wondering how many people with plans of going forced induction, are wanting to use the AEM plug and play. I am going to let them know. Hopefully they will come out with it faster than 5 months, if they have a good number of people waiting. So who's with me?:mad:

I assure you, it will NOT help. Design and testing of that type of equipment is very laborious and time intensive. They, AEM, cannot tolerate and failure, as it could result in serious lawsuits, etc. They will take the proper time to design, develop, prototype, test, and finally produce a marketable unit. That kind of work takes ALONG time. Even if my some miracle you did manage to round up an very very optimistic 50 people, that still would not justify AEM hiring additional recourses to develope the Protege PnP ECU.

AEM plug and play is a cpu that will be formatted (SP) for the Protege. It will come with fuel maps of your car, all you have to do is have an onboard laptop in your car, or out, or a desk top PC. Upload the software, put set your fuel curve and any other settings where you please. Upload it into the car cpu and plug it into your car, and play.

Check it out at: www.aempower.com

BryanPendleton said:
I assure you, it will NOT help. Design and testing of that type of equipment is very laborious and time intensive. They, AEM, cannot tolerate and failure, as it could result in serious lawsuits, etc. They will take the proper time to design, develop, prototype, test, and finally produce a marketable unit. That kind of work takes ALONG time. Even if my some miracle you did manage to round up an very very optimistic 50 people, that still would not justify AEM hiring additional recourses to develope the Protege PnP ECU.

So what you're telling us is that you work for AEM and you know exactly what they're R&D department is thinking. You'd be suprised what a company can do if they believe there is a possible market for a product. Assuming that mazdamp_18 already has fuel maps for the Protege, someone, in theory can plug in a laptop to the AEM, upload the baseline maps for the Protege and start going. According to what I and a few other people have been told by AEM technicians, their race system will work with any car. The difficult part wil be developing a ECU harness.

No I do not work for AEM, but I do work in an engineering and production environment, and I know the kind of work that is required to produce something of this magnitude.

You act as if AEM does NOT know that a market exists for the car. I assure you, AEM would not be wasting the tens of thousands dollars to develop a unit for the Protege if they did NOT know there was a market.

AEM's unit will work on any car, but that statement is very very misleading, because I can hook just about ANY stand alone to about ANY car, but the amount of custom fabrication and additional work to make it happen, will not make it practical, and AEM's unit is no different. I beat AEM's unit will not work on the v10 Viper. It probably does not have enough injector outputs. Anyway, any ecu has certain inputs and certain output. AEM's unit may lend it self well to installation on certain vehicles and others it will not. The critical signal with any stand alone is a "trigger" signal. This signal tells the stand alone what position the motor is in (ie. what pistons are where). Without this signal the standalone is lost. The array of OEM trigger sensors in production cars is numerous, and it is NOT practical for manufactures of standalone to accomodate every OEM trigger sensor. AEM's unit is no different. I do not have any experience with this unit, but it will be limited to the type of trigger signal you can use.

Now the new proteges are similar to the 2nd gen FS Probes in that your motors utilize a crank triggering system, but the new proteges replace the distributor motronic sensor with a cam gear position sensor. Now how AEM has chosen to "tap" into the Protege's existing hardware is unknown, whether or not AEM system was adaptable to the type sensors found on the Protege is unknown. There are alot of unknowns, just to get the system installed, then tuning proper fuel maps is a different story. Car manufacturers spend countless hours fine tuning fuel and ignition maps for every concievable climate condition, load condition, etc. AEM must go through a similar process to ensure proper operation of your car, otherwise they will end up with law suits on hands.

Point being, there is we know that AEM doesn't already know. They know there is a market or they would not be wasting their time. And telling them something they already no is not going to help matters. Now if you knew someone on the inside, you could certainly have them "skweak" to the people that involve in the protege ecu project. As I am sure you have heard the old adage, "the skweaky wheel gets the grease".

APEXistud said:
So what you're telling us is that you work for AEM and you know exactly what they're R&D department is thinking. You'd be suprised what a company can do if they believe there is a possible market for a product. Assuming that mazdamp_18 already has fuel maps for the Protege, someone, in theory can plug in a laptop to the AEM, upload the baseline maps for the Protege and start going. According to what I and a few other people have been told by AEM technicians, their race system will work with any car. The difficult part wil be developing a ECU harness.

Last edited:
Check this out...This is for the " I beat AEM's unit will not work on the v10 Viper. It probably does not have enough injector outputs." Check out the stars. This is for the universal system that aem is making.

Race Programmable Engine Management System
AEM's Race Engine Management System is the first of its kind and will forever change the way you look at fuel injection tuning! This user-programmable system utilizes Windows-based software (2000, NT, 98, 95, ME) makes the task of copying, viewing and manipulating data as simple as a click of the mouse. User-defined templates are easily configurable and enable tuners to establish "quick keys" to any pertinent information during the tuning process. The AEM EMS's infinitely-adjustable software allows tuners to program virtually any combination of engine control, power adders and auxiliary devices, and accurately deliver proper amounts of fuel and correct ignition timing for ANY boost level or operating condition. A universal wiring harness and sensors are available from AEM. Please refer to the application chart for additional hardware and sensor applications. User configurable Windows software (requires a minimum Pentium 100 PC
Onboard Datalogging
Comes with complete library of tuning tips and system design
User programmable inputs and outputs*
****Up to 10 cylinder sequential fuel injection with individual cylinder trim
Up to 10 cylinder wasted spark distributor less ignition with individual cylinder trim *******
Boost Control
Comprehensive Nitrous Control
Twin O2 sensor closed loop control (Wide range, and UEGO)
Comprehensive easy to follow
wiring instructions
Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) feedback
Idle motor control
Extensive Electronic Automatic
transmission control
16/32 bit High Speed Processor
Interactive User Friendly manual
Twin Knock sensing control
Requires Wiring of Vehicle
Made in the USA
*Number of spare inputs and outputs vary with
engine configuration
IMPORTANT:
AEM Programmable Engine Management Systems are legal in California for off-road vehicles only and should NEVER be used on public highways.

:D :D

mikesmazda155 said:
****Up to 10 cylinder sequential fuel injection with individual cylinder trim
Up to 10 cylinder wasted spark distributor less ignition with individual cylinder trim *******

Ouch! I guess I lost that bet. ;) :D Whats your paypal account and I'll send the money on over. :D

I will reinterate and say, I do not know AEM's system. My point was to warn buyers of marketing deception. It can and is often misleading and deceiving.

I understand your point, and I think you are right about AEM not rushing to meet the demand. It's my turbo guy that told me to do this, he thinks it will make a difference. I was just really frustrated yesterday after seeing all the Honda's and Acura's that they already have this system out for. I just can't wait. Also this idea of my turbo guy's is not working so well either.:D

mikesmazda155 said:
I understand your point, and I think you are right about AEM not rushing to meet the demand. It's my turbo guy that told me to do this, he thinks it will make a difference. I was just really frustrated yesterday after seeing all the Honda's and Acura's that they already have this system out for. I just can't wait. Also this idea of my turbo guy's is not working so well either.:D

The laws of supply and demand weigh very very heavily on what manufacturers do. There is such a massive world wide following of the Honda power plants that they, AEM, would almost be foolish to not work on them first. I only hope the Protege turns out to have a similar following.

mikesmazda155, email spoolinmp3 and talk to him about this. He's using a piggyback and got 230hp at the wheels. All you need is something that controls injectors and the timing retard. And if you are strapped for cash like I am after all this turbo stuff, just run low boost (5-8psi) until you can recover from the turbo debt.

That's the thing all I want to run is 8 psi. on an intercooled turbo system. The piggy back thing seems like it is a head ache. I am kind of worried about going that route. Isn't he having trouble with that system. How much is that piggy back system going to run I am ok as far as cash goes, I have been saving for the AEM plug and play. I just do not want to Mickey Mouse my car, you know.:confused:

mikesmazda155 said:
I have been saving for the AEM plug and play. I just do not want to Mickey Mouse my car, you know.:confused:

I know exactly where you are coming from. When I saw that AEM PnP ECU for the Honda boys at one of the big import drag events here in Texas, I was so upset. I wanted to just run out and buy a Honda or Integra. Those guys got it so easy.

Must resist. . .

Ghostly voice of Yoda, "Once you have chosen the dark path. . . forever, will it dominate your destiny" :)

The system that spoolin uses is far from micky mouse. I do understand where you are coming from though. "I feel your pain"-Clinton, 1998. I'm not sure which way I'm going to go either. But right now, I'm staying with stock timing and low boost. If you get enough fuel and cool the intake charge enough, and run low boost, it will buy you some time. But I just know that as soon as I get it all set up, I'm going to want to up the boost to 10psi. I talked to spoolin yesterday and he told me about one that I should get. I forgot the name of the company though. I think it was J&S. I'm not sure.

Back