audio setup

kidrage24

i have completed my audio project in my p5, but when i turn the
system on i hear this loud screeching pop through my speakers.
this is my first install so i think i have made a mistake somewhere.
it sounds great and looks good but where did i go wrong. do i need something else or is it the wiring. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanx.
:)

check your ground make sure it is grounded pretty well to a piece of the metal of your car. and make sure the wiring is right and not touching each other.

Who did you run the remote wire and what does it turn on, list all equipent in the car. Did you use a relay on the remote wire. is their any alternator whine?

I have checked the wiring and the ground is good. the only wiring
that touches is RCA on one side of the car in tubing and power remote and power cable on the other side. the remote wire is connected to a scosche converter on the back of my factory stereo. I have chose not to change out the deck for right now. on the other end of the remote is a 400watt amp which then a wire runs to a 300watt amp. This is another area where i wasnt sure, do i need to run seperate remote wires to the stereo? I have not installed a relay and not sure about where to find one. the 400watt pushes two 10"subs and the 300watt pushes two 6x9 for now. and yes there is some alternator whine in the speakers too.

Last edited:
Probably has something to do with the factory line level converter. Those things never sound that great in my opinion. There is just to much room for interference. I had the same sort of problems when I tried using one with my old Blazer's factory radio, and finally gave up and bought a aftermarket head unit. I've installed many-a-stereo and wouldn't waste my time with those line level converters again.

I've used a lot of liine level converts and haven't seen alot of problems with them. You said you used a scotche converter for the remote turn on, what is that? Is that the same converter for the RCAs. If it is that may not be a remote turn on but a ground cable for the converter if you have noise. Typicaly I would splice the remote wire from the amps to the ignition or turn on lead of the factory radio. Also if you realy want a kicken system off of a factory deck it can be done and done weel. Get an audio control EQS or EQX and you can run speaker level in and you'll get 3 sets of RCA outs, front rear and sub plus they are 1 octave EQs along with being 13 volt line drives and they are cheaper then most aftermarket radios. Plus you will have no noise with one of them in line. whcih side of the car are the RCAs on? are your amps new and of good quality? does the system pop turning the radio off?

No, you don't have to run 2 remote wires just daisy chain them to the amps.

I have come to the conclusion that it is has to be the convertor. The wiring on the back of the radio with the scosche was too confusing so I think Ill take it to my local shop to see what they know. The RCA cables are ran on the passenger side. The convertor is wired to the remote lead from the amp and to the remote turn on from the back of the stereo. Everything is brand new and thats my concern. The pop noise is heard when powering up and down. Can this harm my speakers until I can get this problem fixed. Thanks for all the info.

Last edited:
I'm still a big doubter in Line level converters, but you might be able to fix the popping noise with a capacitor of some sort. Kinda like how you would use a Cap with a multi amp system, build up a little juice before you crank it. Just a thought.

Back