IHE intake header exhaust availability and potential

chimchim

I know it's really new, so it's a matter of time before aftermarket parts start really being available... but what is available? Is there a FAQ somewhere for this?

Also, can people speculate on the N/A and forced induct tunability of the MZ3 (5dr)?

Sorry for noobness.

don't think turbo would be a good idea on that full aluminum block.

I'm an N/A guy anyways... looking for efficiency, not racing. But the turboness is good to know.

N/A info please?

Just curious because i know absolutely nothing about Thermodynamics or Material Sciences why would the all aluminum block be bad for turbo? does it have to do with heat?

cast iron blocks blow at very high turbo PSI, PSI being pounds per square inch. Aluminum just can't hold as much PSI as cast iron. therefore will crack under less PSI. Although a lot of other things will go first before that block. I just wouldn't do it.

the point beingaluminum block is weight savings, yet for some reason the mz3 weighs more than the p5 =/

also a lot of the ford motors, like the 2.3 in the mz3 have platic intake MANIFOLDs, and would probably benefit best from replacement

aluminum blocks have steel sleeves... while many aren't as stong as cast iron blocks many more are.

just food for thought

Wasn't it the Mazda6 MPS concept that gets 280hp out of a turbocharged 2.3L? I would assume it's the same basic block as the 3...

I dont know where you heard aluminum blocks aren't good for turbo-charging, they would not break under pressure, unless your going to boost it at 22 psi. I heard in this months SCC magazine that they heard rumors of the Mazda speed 3. "Supposedly" they are looking for a turbo kit right now. And, since it is based on the Volvo s40 platform, you can expect all wheel drive. That would be ****** awsome. 230 hp (or so), all wheel drive and a six speed manual with paddle shifting option, I would be in heaven.

mazda should slap in that T5 motor from volvo. good for 230+ horsepower. it'll hang with the srt in no time! put a move on it mazda, we're waiting!

Aluminum blocks can withstand enough psi. My friend in san Jose is running 26psi on 8.0:1 Weisco pistons in his full aluminum Cosworth Vega (it has free standing cylinder walls like a Honda) and puts out 431 hp at the wheels.

It's all about tuning.

GM is putting out 1000 hp with fatory components on the Ecotech.

Britt

there is a difference in aluminum and alluminum alloy, a lot of companies put out their block is aluminum but only 60% of it is.

There should be no problem with the aluminum alloy block. LS1's have had no trouble with forced induction at lower psi (4-7) stock. The only reason they have not gone higher is the fact that the compression ratio is already pretty high (10.1:1). Ford's 4.6 DOHC engine (pre-2003) has been boosted by many many people and that has an aluminum block as well.

Also, the plastic intake should actually benefit due to less heat soak than one made from metal.

PLASTIC intake?!? What plastic intake? (Sorry... I'm just a wanna be owner so I can't look in my non-existant engine bay)

Big_Red_1 said:
There should be no problem with the aluminum alloy block. LS1's have had no trouble with forced induction at lower psi (4-7) stock. The only reason they have not gone higher is the fact that the compression ratio is already pretty high (10.1:1). Ford's 4.6 DOHC engine (pre-2003) has been boosted by many many people and that has an aluminum block as well.

Also, the plastic intake should actually benefit due to less heat soak than one made from metal.

experience from friends with mazda6s that have redone their intake have noticed really high gains because the stock design is so horrible.

Here is a pic of a typical LS1 intake manifold. I don't know what the Mazda3 manifold looks like either, but I've heard people say that it is made of a composite or plastic. I don't see a problem and actually prefer it.

Attachments

• ls1 intake manifold.jpg
    ls1 intake manifold.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 304
it just doesn't sound cool, to me :D

sorry, I'm an old man set in his old ways, at the ripe age of 20

The intake that your friends have had redone were probably ported for better airflow which is the main reason people buy aftermarket intake manifolds. That is where you see your HP gains from. The material that the manifold is of from should have no effect on power production. If you have two dimensionally identical intakes and one was made of aluminum and the other of plastic I would expect better numbers from the plastic one (maybe very small) because of less heat soak.

Anyway, my point is that people shouldn't be disappointed or think it is cheaper that you get a plastic intake manifold.

Back