need help about getting a dealer

Dinger

hey fellow mazda owners,
here is a situation that i have run into
i purchased a new mp5 in december from Harrleson Mazda, about 40 days later i fell asleep at the wheel while working 2 jobs and wrecked my new baby. anyhow, i find out the next morning that my insurance was never notified that i had bought a new car so hence no insurance coverage. here is where the s*** begins

***isnt it required that the dealer calls to verify insurance before they let me drive off the lot?

***the lender of the $ (ie Mazda Credit) dont they need verification of insurance before the release the $ to the dealer (so the dealer can cash the contract)

*** also isnt the DMV supposed to make sure that there is insurance is on the vehicle before they send my plates

if anybody has any info or knows anybody that can help me please contact me

thanks
dinger

BMXER44@AOL.COM

you need to look into the laws for your specific state....

HERE (Texas)......if you have insurance and you buy a new car you are covered for 30 days....YOU are required to notify your insurance company....the fact that you had VALID insurance when you purchased the car is all the lendor needs...also the state to issue you new plates for the car....nothing more....

HERE...its the BUYERS responsibility to make all the notifications you mentioned.

any lawyers in NC

are there any lawyers in the NC area that could help me out
or is there anybody that is in the industry (dealerships) that can give me any info
all I want s to get my mp5 fixed
thanks

In 94 I traded a Jeep for a Dodge Pick-up (I know...it was one of the biggest mistakes I have made) and drove it for 3 months thinking that the dealer had changed the insurance. I got the bill and it was still showing the jeep. My now ex agent said that the dealership had never called. My friend was the G.M. of that dealership at the time and I called him immediately. The finance girl had written who she talked to, the date and time she talked to them. When I called them back, they changed my policy...never admitted their mistake and charged me the increased rate...Bastards. The next car I bought, I was sitting at the desk when the finance person called and two weeks later I called just to check and they did it again. After this, I changed agents and call myself just to be sure.

Try to get some documentation from your dealership to see if they in fact did call and find out who called. This evidence may help you.

Insurance

Yes, it is right that it is the Customers responsibility to notify the insurance company. The dealer has no right of attorney to do this for you, they only have right of attorney for the DMV. They can get plates for you, but they cannot change your insurance policy. That is left up to the customer. In most cases, the customer has 20-30 days to do this. I'm sorry to say, but I think you are out of luck. But, you can still throw up your arms and scream a lot, who knows...

Back