Super Audio Newbie: Help me Help Myself

KamalaMP5

I'm a car audio neophyte to the umpteenth degree and my new speakers for my mid-year 2002 Pro5 just arrived and I realized that I'm in serious trouble. For starters, I was examining the speaker grille and it wasn't immediately apparent how I was supposed to pop it out with a flathead screwdriver without damaging my doors. I think if someone helps me out with instructions for getting the grille/door panel off, I should be okay. Please be detailed and recommend any tools you think are necessary or helpful. I'm not spastic with tools, I've just never done work on audio stuff or on a car where I really cared about not scratching things up. Thanks!

Ok, it's a pretty simple task nothing real difficult. First off the tools list:

1. #2 phillips screw driver
2. Flat tip screw driver (of medium size)
3. wire snip/striper combo tool or seperates
4. Possibly a large head phillips screw driver
5. trim stick (optional)

To start with use the flat tip to remove the little black triangle at the top front of the door. Just pry gently and it'll come out. Next remove the screws from the door handle cup, below the hand hold in the center of the door, and from behind the triangle you took off eariler. If I remember right there are also two in the bottom of the door panel, if you dont seem em then my memory's failing, which is not unusual. Do one final check to make sure you've got all the screws removed and covers off. After that you should pull the door panel in an up and out direction, this is a PITA. I thought I'd never get mine off, just be paient, use the trim stick to apply a little pressure to the bottom if you have to. Once the panel is off, remove the screws around the speaker and remove the speaker. For aftermarket speakers other than the optional ones at the mazda dealer you have to cut the connector off of the wiring going to the back of the speaker. You should have two sets of wiring harness with your new speakers. Once the connector on the old speaker is cut strip the wires back about 1/8 of an inch. Then strip your new harness about the same. Either use a butt connector or solder the new harness to the old harness. If you decide to solder make sure to use shrink tubing around the soldered area. Once the connections are made reinstall the speaker and check to see that it works. Once it's satisfactory to you reinstall the door panel the reverse of how it came off.

Thanks for all the tips... wish me luck, I'm going to work on it this Friday. Does anyone know if the mid-year change tweeters will pop out or need to be popped out similarly to the black triangle on the models from the first half of the year?

having not seen the car I assume that the piece will be removed first and that the tweter will be fastened to the back of the plastic.

You guys rock! Thanks so much for all the advice and tips. I got all four speakers installed this afternoon and it went great. Well, it went great after the first door. Started with the rear passenger, took me 90 minutes. Other 3 doors combined took me less than 90 minutes. Feeling all manly and studly right now, I'm a law student, thus I don't get to work with my hands often, so this was a great project and I'm encouraged to do more of my own auto work... I didn't scratch anything, the windows still go up and down and my car sounds awesome now! By the way, those rear handles SUCK. For people doing work on the mid-year P5, make sure you remember to put the tweeters back on the front door. I almost drove off with it dangling outside after I slammed the door on the wire, but thankfully it's all good.

Back