Oooh, they look good in person

SonicRacer

PS!
Banned
Potential Scammer!
:
03.5 MS Protege
While at Seven Stock I saw one in a gated back garage being used for R&D (a place people can't normally go). They wouldn't let me take pics which sucked. The back windows were taped up, no Mazda emblems and the Axela badge was taped over.

The will be some great potential for these cars. Wonder when some more parts will be made for the 2.3L. We already know what the 2.0L can do. :D

The 2.0L hasn't been offered here yet (it's not the engine in the Protege'). The 2.3L is already in the 6...

Some press release material on the engine family...

"The newly developed engines are all aluminum, in-line 4-cylinder gasoline engines, with 1.8-liter, 2.0-liter, and 2.3-liter engine displacements."

"A ceremony was held at the plant to celebrate the start of production of the new engine. In his speech, Mazda Representative Director and Executive Vice President Hisakazu Imaki commented, "This newly developed MZR engine was developed with Mazda taking the lead role, being designated as the 'Center of Excellence' in the Ford Group for its highly recognized engineering. This plant that will produce the new engines, by incorporating various ideas of everyone, has realized high quality and high efficiency, and is now the factory attracting the most attention in the Ford group. I would like you to all take pride in this plant, and let's make the next-generation products that these engines will be used in a success."
The new I4 engines realize superb performance due to improved torque and increased output, have excellent fuel economy and clean emissions, and perform quietly with little vibration. The engines will be used in the Atenza and other following next generation products.

* Large-size I4 engine (1.8L, 2.0L, 2.3L) developed at Mazda as a Ford Global "Center of Excellence". In addition to the large-size I4, the MZR engine family includes the small-size I4 engine (1.3L, 1.5L) and a diesel engine, which were newly developed completely at Mazda. "

"A trial run of the new engine production was held starting from last October. This plant has introduced the "Cosworth casting process," which is also used for the peak performance F1 auto-racing engine. This casting process technology has been provided by Ford and Cosworth from England, and then matured and innovated by Mazda-specific technology. Through this, the mass production of quality, lightweight, and compact engines has been attained, and an epoch-making production process, producing at a lower cost than cast iron engines, realized."

"The new engines, in addition to being used in future Mazda products, will also be used by the Ford Group in approximately 2 million units, of which Mazda will produce around 425,000 units, expected to be produced within the next several years. The production base in the Ford Group consists of a total of four plants: the Mazda plant here in Japan, and Ford plants in the U.S., Mexico, and Spain. Production at the United States and the Mexico plants began from the second half of 2000. Mazda has positioned this engine as the cutting edge, global core engine in the Ford Group, and will continue to foster this technology."

787B said:
The 2.0L hasn't been offered here yet (it's not the engine in the Protege'). The 2.3L is already in the 6...

Some press release material on the engine family...

"The newly developed engines are all aluminum, in-line 4-cylinder gasoline engines, with 1.8-liter, 2.0-liter, and 2.3-liter engine displacements."
[/QUOTE

Yeah, I know the 2.3L was the 6 motor. That's why I made the comment I did.

So Mazda built a whole new 2.0L that has the same power output as the FS? :confused:

SonicRacer said:
So Mazda built a whole new 2.0L that has the same power output as the FS? :confused:

Thats how I understood it, however this engine is starting with that much power and actualy a bit more then the FS, 150 hp right? Thats 10 more the the highest output (non turbo) FS in the states being the MP3 at 140 hp. The FS started at like a meager 110 hp or something redicoulus.
Hopefully we can expect mroe from this new one.

Probe/MX-6/626 FS: 120hp
Protege: 130hp
MP3: 140hp
MSP: 170hp
I believe are the numbers....

The 2.3L (6 motor) has 160hp. I read the 2.0L in the 3 is suppose to have 130hp (I think that's what I read. and that's what made me assume it was an FS).

I believe those numbers were for the last FS in probes/MX-6's I thought they started lower then that in 93.
MP3 is right on as is the MSP. SO the MP3 is indeed the highest output FS-DE without a turbo.

I thought the 2.3L had 170 hp and the 2.0L had 150?

published figures for the 2.0L =148hp and the 2.3L =160hp

I wasn't to correct on the 2.3L, so much as I was trying to underline the link between the 2.0L and the 2.3L.

What didn't you understand?

the two-liter is rated at one-hundred forty eight horsepower and the two-point-three-liter is rated at one-hundred sixty horsepower. these have already been published.

Do you want it in Spanish or Japanese, too?... :p

1st MP3 in NH said:
I believe those numbers were for the last FS in probes/MX-6's I thought they started lower then that in 93.
MP3 is right on as is the MSP. SO the MP3 is indeed the highest output FS-DE without a turbo.

I thought the 2.3L had 170 hp and the 2.0L had 150?

I'm pretty sure it's 120hp in the Probe/MX-6.... But I may be wrong. I have the V-6 Probe. :)

Yes, the MP3 has the highest output non-turbo FS in the U.S.A. You're forgetting about the MPS Sport 20 in Japan though. :) That had 180ps (177hp). :D

i wonder what the 0-60mph times will be for the mazda3 ??
its probably going to be quicker then out protege.

will it be possible to do an engine swap?

SonicRacer said:
I'm pretty sure it's 120hp in the Probe/MX-6.... But I may be wrong. I have the V-6 Probe. :)

Yes, the MP3 has the highest output non-turbo FS in the U.S.A. You're forgetting about the MPS Sport 20 in Japan though. :) That had 180ps (177hp). :D

I had a 93 I4 Probe that was rated at 114 HP, but I'm not sure if it had a 2.0l engine or not.

SonicRacer said:

I thought that had differnet cams and Pistons, and wasn't the FS_DE engine code becuase of it?

1st MP3 in NH said:
I thought that had differnet cams and Pistons, and wasn't the FS_DE engine code becuase of it?

I don't recall what the engine code is... I didn't call it an FS_DE though.

side note: ZE endings refer to non-turbo high compression engines if I remember correctly.

Back