Autoexpress has Sedan Pics!

digitec

. . . but i dont. Someone who has the new issue willing to scan a few pics? I couldnt get a direct link for the online article, so I copied and pasted below:

Mazda Puts The Boot In On 3

he figures are all adding up nicely for Mazda, and it looks as if 3 really could be its magic number. In issue 762, the firm gave us a first official glimpse of its 323 replacement, and now, in the current issue of Auto Express magazine, we can reveal its stablemate, the four-door saloon.

The mag's images were taken by our spies during filming for a forthcoming TV advert, and show a production-ready car complete with tell-tale badges and even the name on the number plate. It's a welcome return for the small Mazda saloon, as the 323 four-door was scrapped in Britain in 1998. The sporty-looking model has a coup-style sloping roof, while the grille and high waistline are instantly recognisable, and help give the saloon a strong resemblance to its big brother, the 6.

Insiders have said the booted car will have the same engine range as the hatchback. That means an entry-level 1.4-litre, then 1.6 and 2.0 models, plus a 2.3 flagship. For diesel fans there will be the punchy 1.8-litre TDCi oil-burner, built and used by parent firm Ford.

The saloon is expected to have the same interior as the hatchback, which in turn was based on the MX Sportif, first seen at the Geneva Motor Show last March. In terms of price, it's not expected to carry any premium over the hatch, which insiders have told us will start at 10,995 and rise to 15,500. That puts the 3 in direct competition with the Ford Focus and Vauxhall Astra.

The hatchback will be unveiled at next month's Frankfurt Motor Show, and it was originally thought that the saloon wouldn't be finished until next year. But judging by the readiness of the car in these pictures, Mazda could be preparing to surprise everybody and unveil the four-door in Germany as well. Martin Sharp

The pictures were taken in Portugal

I live in Lisbon. Last week, a local car magazine associated with auto express (auto hoje) presented those photos; it's a red Sedan.

The car came to Lisbon (Parque das Naes, former Expo'98) to take official pictures.

I'll try to get a scanner to place them were. They are small, but the car looks very nice.

Re: The pictures were taken in Portugal

nuno66 said:
I live in Lisbon. Last week, a local car magazine associated with auto express (auto hoje) presented those photos; it's a red Sedan.

The car came to Lisbon (Parque das Naes, former Expo'98) to take official pictures.

I'll try to get a scanner to place them were. They are small, but the car looks very nice.

Yeah, if you can scan them it'd be fabulous. And if you need a place to upload them, PM myself or MZ6ZoomZoom.

I would appreciate the photo's, but if anyone can get the articles as well, it would be much appreciated!

And yep, I'd be happy to host them.

I would appreciate the photo's, but if anyone can get the articles as well, it would be much appreciated!

Wow, nice assumption wongpres :p
Seriously though, I'd be happy to host them!

MZ6ZoomZoom said:
And I supposed you read the articles in Playboy, too... :D

MZ6ZoomZoom said:

Wow, nice assumption wongpres :p
Seriously though, I'd be happy to host them!

We know each other from mazda6club, so I was confident that you wouldn't mind hosting them :)

Am I the only one that has trouble posting on these forums, by the way? Half the time it doesn't post when I tell it to, so I end up clicking again and I end up with double posts.

OK, someone on this forum has kindly scanned the article from Auto Foco magazine and MZ6ZoomZoom has posted it:

Mazda3SedanPortugal.gif

HOLY MONITOR RESOLUTION BATMAN!

Wowza...looking sharp as a sedan, still don't dig the hatchback though

Yes, I like it a lot. A better version of the Jetta (FOGLIGHTS!!), and from the rear, the 3 looks like the G35 sedan. Another plus.

Homer: MMmmmm, Mazda3....

Thanks for posting those pics, Wongpres

cool.... not bad looking... are they making a coupe? probably not. That thing would look pretty nice lowered and with better rims. And some ground effects maybe.

Still not a fan. I didn't get the Jetta for a reason (gee, every dog and their owner has one). I'm glad I got my 5. Maybe until I see it in person... until then... bleh!!

Cool, it's in Portuguese! Represent! :D

Last edited:
I like the sedan better than the wagon. But, still, the '3' just isn't doin' it for me. I like the P5 better, - more character. The '3' just looks boring to me, especially the rear on both the sedan and wagon.

If I thought the 2.3L would be a much improved powertrain, I might consider trading. However, most '6i' owners are complaining of the lack of power and the typical 'throttle delay.' Yes, I realize the '3' will be lighter than the '6,' but I can't see this car being a much better performer than the current Proteges.

Now, the Mazdaspeed 3, - that might be worth it, assuming there will eventually be one!

Last edited:
WOW! Looks beautiful to me. I think they did a good job.

BTW, they definitely need to have a coupe. A coupe would be so perfect for the Mazda3

Back