Frequently Asked Questions Page?

• Yes, Good idea!

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • NO! I hate the idea

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
:
2002 P5, 1978 F250
Why dont we make a thread or section titled "Frequently Asked Questions" or "Top 100 Asked Questions"?

New members seem to always ask the same questions that were asked a million times before and always get flamed about using the search button. Instead of giving these people a horrible welcome and still not answering their question, we would eliminate some of the questions being asked again, and can direct them to the FAQ page and delete their tread. This is much like how the Audio/Video page has the speaker sizes and commonly asked information organized and in one central place, only it would contain more information. Having a easily seen link to a page with common questions would seem eliminate almost all of these frequenting questions. What do you think? Bad idea or good idea?

Won't the flames just change from "use the search" to "use the F.A.Q"?

Heathen23 said:
Won't the flames just change from "use the search" to "use the F.A.Q"?

It wont totally eliminate the problem.. but if the the link for the FAQ is in bright red at the top of the forum list, it wont be as hard to miss as the tiny search button. Instead of newbies having to learn the best way to use the search function (how different combinations of words will yield the correct results and others wont), they only have to be directed to the page (if they missed it) and can easily find what they need on the list.

Esteban Toledo said:
It's a good idea. However, Heathen is correct.

Any suggestions that could improve this idea? I think that if it was clearly visible it would be more appealing to click on than having to ask the question or find a search button so small it always gets missed. Who doesnt like to learn about their cars? This site is a great source of information, the commonly asked stuff could be more organized.

It's kind of a tough one to resolve. I find that everytime a questions gets asked that people want to reply "use the search" new info comes out from old forum members and new that can be useful. The problem is that sifting through the crap to get to one nugget of valuable info can get tiresome. Although a FAQ wouldn't resolve the problem it's a great place to start if this issue is bothering people....I guess that's up to the mods.

Its a good suggestion.....but you will still see the same 100 questions ask over and over, maybe just not as much....I am a member of another board that has had the FAQ section for a long time....and it still happens...and YES you see "read the FAQ!!" just as much as "USE THE SEARCH"......

Everyone who is against this seems to think it's going to hurt the board or something. Granted, someone will have to set it up and maintain it, but otherwise I don't see why we'd be any worse off with it. I actually thought we had it and went looking for a FAQ button, but obviously never found one. I think it's a good idea to use that in combination with the Search button because using the search isn't failproof either.

A little off topic - I thought this board was about people helping people and sharing ideas, experiences, and becoming friends. It seems like many people's goal is to try to answer every question possible and direct newbies to the Search button in hopes that nobody will EVER have to post again. The site will just become one big Search of threads. Obviously I'm exaggerating a little, but seriously, I see tons of newbies getting flamed left and right for reapeating a question that was asked a year ago. They may have already searched and not found anything and people are still flaming them and telling them to use the Search function. Luckily there are people on this board who instead of flaming them, will give them the answer they needed. Sometimes it's just a quick sentence, but people will instead write 2 or 3 sentences about using the search button instead of just answering the question. When I was new to this (and not that Im a veteran now or even close to that) I had no clue about cars or the board - a bad combination. But luckily people helped me out instead of flaming me. I'm not saying that everyone on this board is harsh and unhelpful. A great majority of people on here are extremely helpful. I just feel that people get all worked up over repeated questions. This board was created to help and bring people together. Not to become one big search function.

PS - I know some questions are so large and opinionated that using the search function is far easier (ie the Clunk, etc.). My post is not referring to questions like that, but even then, a coke and a smile always works better than a flame.

Volley2six said:
Everyone who is against this seems to think it's going to hurt the board or something. Granted, someone will have to set it up and maintain it, but otherwise I don't see why we'd be any worse off with it. I actually thought we had it and went looking for a FAQ button, but obviously never found one. I think it's a good idea to use that in combination with the Search button because using the search isn't failproof either.

A little off topic - I thought this board was about people helping people and sharing ideas, experiences, and becoming friends. It seems like many people's goal is to try to answer every question possible and direct newbies to the Search button in hopes that nobody will EVER have to post again. The site will just become one big Search of threads. Obviously I'm exaggerating a little, but seriously, I see tons of newbies getting flamed left and right for reapeating a question that was asked a year ago. They may have already searched and not found anything and people are still flaming them and telling them to use the Search function. Luckily there are people on this board who instead of flaming them, will give them the answer they needed. Sometimes it's just a quick sentence, but people will instead write 2 or 3 sentences about using the search button instead of just answering the question. When I was new to this (and not that Im a veteran now or even close to that) I had no clue about cars or the board - a bad combination. But luckily people helped me out instead of flaming me. I'm not saying that everyone on this board is harsh and unhelpful. A great majority of people on here are extremely helpful. I just feel that people get all worked up over repeated questions. This board was created to help and bring people together. Not to become one big search function.

PS - I know some questions are so large and opinionated that using the search function is far easier (ie the Clunk, etc.). My post is not referring to questions like that, but even then, a coke and a smile always works better than a flame.
i think you put it well :D

I agree with you on that as well. Many questions involve ongoing discussion that adds knowledge to what is alerady known. Some of the answers arent going to change though, such as the speaker sizes (the sticky in the audio section is growing, but people stopped asking it twice a day and getting the same answers). Also, questions like how to remove the roof rack, and part numbers for replacement strips, and options for carbon fiber hoods, which intake is better, which short throw is the shortest, and various other questions all remain pretty much the same.

I also agree that this site should be a place for people to meet rather than to get flamed at. I think I shall make my own how-to Protege website.

i think we should cancel all new registrations. that way all the old questions wont be brought up again.

j/k :D

i find most people here are doing the right thing, which is give them a short answer and politly direct them to the search function.

Back