Leave climate on or turn off at shutdown

Colorado_2018

:
2018 CX5
So I'm a bit old school when it comes to shutting everything off before turning off the vehicle. I turn the climate control to off and then hit auto after turning the car on and driving away.

It goes back to my first car (87 Nissan Maxima) when it could cause problems for the a/c to engage on engine start. With modern vehicles I know they build in safety features. My wife never touches it in her Sienna and it's always just on. I did notice the fans and a/c does not engage for a couple of seconds.

I would turn the radio off on the CX5 but can only mute it (unless I'm missing something).

So do you leave climate on or turn it off at shutdown?

i'm the same way. i always turn the A/C or Heater off before turning off the car.
I only turn on the HVAC when the car is properly warmed up.

I have to admit that I don't think i've ever turned the AC off before shutting off the engine on any of my cars before. I hadn't even considered it might add stress to a subsystem or something.

The day I buy my cars [now a CX 5] I turn the air on and it doesn't get turned off until the day I sell it.

Same with the radio.

Did the same thing with a 2006 SP23.

Yep. Luckily somebody at Mazda took care of people leaving it on permanently. They even provided a soft start clutch on the A/C compressor so it doesnt knock the engine about. Turning it off does absolutely nothing other than create another job when you get in.

I have to admit that I don't think i've ever turned the AC off before shutting off the engine on any of my cars before. I hadn't even considered it might add stress to a subsystem or something.

You're fine. The only time AC ever added stress was when my drive belt tensioner was going out. As long as that's good, then you're fine.

I know modern cars are designed knowing most folks never think about turning off climate before shutting down. I know doing so probably accomplishes nothing. However, old habits do die hard :)

I was curious and googled it and looks like it's a split decision:

https://www.quora.com/Should-I-swit...itioner-before-I-start-or-stop-my-cars-engine

The car is going to take care of it either way. So you do no harm either way either. If it makes you feel better to turn it off go ahead.

o.0 There is an off button for A/C? *jk* ... I leave mine ON the majority of the time thru winter/summer seasons and for the main purpose of getting the interior warmer when I do a remote start. Those freezing wet weather sometimes rip off a small section of my weather sealant around the door, those fibery rubber door sealant. Same goes with the Radio. I haven't seen much difference wether their off or on.

Beside the fan wouldn't start blowing at the start of the engine, it would give it like and extra 2 mins or so before the fan starts working. So looks like no harm done at the start.

o.0 There is an off button for A/C? *jk* ...
But the ECO mode for AC is missing for US CX-5 ⋯

maxresdefault.jpg

Beside the fan wouldn't start blowing at the start of the engine, it would give it like and extra 2 mins or so before the fan starts working. So looks like no harm done at the start.

Mine starts blowing the minute I start the engine, and always ramps up way to high very quickly. I wonder if there's a difference in US and other models. It's so annoying I always leave CC off until the engine is warm. I understand the rationale is to clear the windshield, but if the windshield is clear, there's no point.

I'm the odd man out here, since I prefer good old manual CC. Auto overthinks too often, making changes that make it less comfortable. It's no problem for me to control the CC manually, takes very little effort or attention.

Auto CC just goes by the numbers, and that's often not the best way to go... just like with driving dynamics.

I'm the odd man out here, since I prefer good old manual CC. Auto overthinks too often, making changes that make it less comfortable. It's no problem for me to control the CC manually, takes very little effort or attention.

Not the only man out, haha. I much prefer manual climate controls. I find that most automatic ones won't let you set the temperature cold enough during the winter time. When I get into my car, dressed appropriately for a really cold day, I don't want my car at 50F, but I also don't want the heat totally off either.

As for the original post, I'm too used to turning everything off before shutdown. Climate control, radio, headlights, everything gets shut off before turning the car off.

I've had ACC so long I cannot fathom manual controls anymore. Pretty much bought the GT for the ACC, LED lights, and doz rims
Surrounded by barbarians!
125f9c2e198ab3d1bcde9c357af155b7.jpg

I also have manual controls.
Here AC is not needed most of the year, heat only some of the year in the mornings.

Ideally, I'd like the fan to be off and AC/heat off while in the garage, though parking somewhere else I leave it the way it was, but sometimes I forget. When driving, I also prefer outside air when possible.
Starting the car in the garage with the fan on will cause some of the startup smell to get into the car, which is why I prefer it off, and if I forgot the night before, I turn it off then but back to on when on the road.
If its cold, there is no point in letting the vent blow cold air on me, so I typically wait until the blue light turns off, at which point I turn the heat and fan on. If its hot outside, I turn the AC on ASAP.

When coming back to the garage, I turn off the AC (cooling) off a few blocks from my house and turn the fan all the way up to dry some of the moisture up, to reduce some of the smells that usually develop later if you don't. With this and other measures, my car's interior smells better than most cars.

It may sound complicated, but because it is all manual dials, so no repeated pressing of button(s) are needed, all tasks are completed very quickly. On top of that, most of the time AC/heat is not needed, so I just turn the vent on/off. Even when it is hot/cold the amount of tweaking is still very minimal.

My (limited) experience with automatic climate control systems was that I'd still mess with the temperature, air direction and sometimes even fan speed. For example, if I like 73F normally but if I feel warm, I'd turn it down and later up, or make it blow air only through front vents etc.
In one of the cars we owned in the past, it was few taps on the screen to do that and 1 tap for every 1F of temp change ... meaning that every task was significantly more time consuming than with manual old dials. While this is an extreme example and most cars have better climate control dials, I find that manual controls do not require more attention and tweaking.

Yeah the CRV I just came from had most of the climate control functions on the touchscreen. You had to hit the climate control button to access the screen and go from there. Not a big deal to me since I used "auto" most of the time but a lot of folks are not getting heat in the cold so they are constantly having to fiddle. Some are even trying to cover up the front grill to prevent cold air from coming in :|

So far I really like the climate control in my Mazda. On cold mornings it does start blowing cold air on high speeds but it quickly warms up so no big deal. Since it's not summer I can't test how long auto stays in recirc before switching over to fresh air (if at all - my wife's Sienna and most modern Toyotas stay in recirc forever if the temp is over 65 outside or maybe it's 75 can't remember). No big deal again because I can just switch over to fresh in the Mazda if need be.

So I tried leaving auto on when shutting off knowing it's fine for the car but I just can't do it ha ha! Back to turning it off before shutdown and back on when driving away. Like I said, some old habits die hard.

I dont understand how Honda screwed up so bad. The turbo motors from VW and Ford provide heat vary quickly due to using a water cooled exhaust manifold which is integrated into the head. I thought Honda was also but maybe just on the 2.0.

I've leave my on AUTO , been doing that since I had a Mazda with Auto climate control. :)

I have noticed, or at least it seems to me, that if the air is cold and I want warm air, the system doesn't turn the fan up to max until the air temp is warm.

I've leave my on AUTO , been doing that since I had a Mazda with Auto climate control. :)

I have noticed, or at least it seems to me, that if the air is cold and I want warm air, the system doesn't turn the fan up to max until the air temp is warm.

Yup I leave it on auto and it waits for the engine to warm up before ramping the fan. Note if you adjust fan speed manually it disables auto.

Latest posts

Back