Holy Sh** -> no wonder they say not to drive

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
After having traveled thru hip high snow (due to an emergency) and thru the current snow onslaught which happened in NE US recently I believe today was a Godzilla. There was a small amount of rain/hale and I had to go out to pick up my son from school after club.

There were altogether 5 total cars stranded between me and my school which is 1.2 mile away!! Its a total washout. 2 cars have damages, including lamp posts, etc. and 3 are just stranded. I have to cross I-287 just .5 miles to reach school and its bad out on the roads. There's NO snow just hail and rain and roads are perfectly clear from within car. Not sure what's going on. I believe police/fire/ambulance are also having issues reaching stranded vehicles since 1 vehicle stranded was a police car. Another police car came in to assist and not sure but its wheels had some sort of shiny stuff on them (I fleetingly saw as I was more concerned with the road ahead).

CX-5: For the going part i.e. 1.2 miles and coming back (with son) a million times my dashboard was lighting up with the traction/ABS lights. I was driving at 5 mph but still skidding!! My tires are all season with 5/32 trend depth remaining and till date did not cause such skids. I have nothing but praise for the AWD system - it literally worked full time today and always I got back control ; however to be frank I did practice day before in an open area on how to control over/under steers so I was very, very delicate with steering when skidding.

Not sure what's going on out there but it's crazy bad.

1 question: should I get my vehicle checked after this and if yes - what should I tell dealership .... my AWD and transmission looks fine but when I reached the garage felt the last few yards some shudders, etc. Just concerned. My son is still scared.

Last edited:
After having traveled thru hip high snow (due to an emergency) and thru the current snow onslaught which happened in NE US recently I believe today was a Godzilla. There was a small amount of rain/hale and I had to go out to pick up my son from school after club.

There were altogether 5 total cars stranded between me and my school which is 1.2 mile away!! Its a total washout. 2 cars have damages, including lamp posts, etc. and 3 are just stranded. I have to cross I-287 just .5 miles to reach school and its bad out on the roads. There's NO snow just hail and rain and roads are perfectly clear from within car. Not sure what's going on. I believe police/fire/ambulance are also having issues reaching stranded vehicles since 1 vehicle stranded was a police car. Another police car came in to assist and not sure but its wheels had some sort of shiny stuff on them (I fleetingly saw as I was more concerned with the road ahead).

CX-5: For the going part i.e. 1.2 miles and coming back (with son) a million times my dashboard was lighting up with the traction/ABS lights. I was driving at 5 mph but still skidding!! My tires are all season with 5/32 trend depth remaining and till date did not cause such skids. I have nothing but praise for the AWD system - it literally worked full time today and always I got back control ; however to be frank I did practice day before in an open area on how to control over/under steers so I was very, very delicate with steering when skidding.

Not sure what's going on out there but it's crazy bad.

1 question: should I get my vehicle checked after this and if yes - what should I tell dealership .... my AWD and transmission looks fine but when I reached the garage felt the last few yards some shudders, etc. Just concerned. My son is still scared.
Just take it for a run when the weather settles and providing all is well I wouldn’t worry. If you think the rear axle may have been fully submerged, you should have the oil in it changed.

Yea it was nasty here last night. Went to take the trash cans out to the street and slipped and fell on my ice covered drive way. Figured if I can’t walk on it I wasn’t going to attempt to drive on it either!

Yep, weather here has been nasty the last few weeks. Drove home from work through 4 winter storms so far this year. One thing you might want to consider is getting winter tires. I strongly suggest that. I've been behind quite a few AWD vehicles with all seasons and have watched them struggle to have good control while I virtually have no problem at all. Makes a world of difference and will give you more control on ice.

As I've said probably a million times here- if you're gonna be out in the s*** winter tires or a damn good (5/32 AS definitely doesn't qualify) all weather tire with sufficient meat on them. Yesterday was fine by me but we had just snow and basically a coating. Farther South..btw it wasn't hail it was sleet and freezing rain which can look benign but those are some of the most dangerous times to be out..winter tires do make a huge difference and I can't recommend them enough but ice is still ice!!

Sounds like you needed winter tires. While I'm a firm believer in not needing winter tires in North Texas, which rarely gets snow as bad as you folks in the North do, your situation screamed winter tires to me.

As I've said probably a million times here- if you're gonna be out in the s*** winter tires or a damn good (5/32 AS definitely doesn't qualify) all weather tire with sufficient meat on them. Yesterday was fine by me but we had just snow and basically a coating. Farther South..btw it wasn't hail it was sleet and freezing rain which can look benign but those are some of the most dangerous times to be out..winter tires do make a huge difference and I can't recommend them enough but ice is still ice!!

Yes - it was sleet and what I had to face. There's a small incline and was stuck when returning. A fire car helped me climb up. That vehicle had studded winter tires and it was struggling too. Coming back home and checking Internet I identified that even with winter tires its NOT RECOMMENDED to go into sleet conditions/frozen rain. As a secondary check I called Bridgestone winter training school (I saw a ton of videos of this school in Youtube) and they are saying the same. The critical point here is the concept of black ice which is invisible. Tires won't have grips.

This is when I realized the police car I fleetingly saw having shiny stuff on its tires is something called snow chains. I guess it was put on due to the sleet.

If i had to guess, also being in the north east (norther and east-er than you!), I'd say that, because it's been so bitter cold for so long, the wet precipitation fell on ground that was still frozen and created a film of wet ice. Sleet by itself wouldn't be that slick. I've seen dew condense on the ground and freeze into a sheet of ice while the air temperature was almost 40, which created conditions similar to what you described only without the rain and sleet. If you were on anything other than level ground, you couldn't even stand up without slides ng n your ass. Sounds like the same kind of freak event. I'm sure your car is fine.

Back