2017~2024 Auto climate control always turns on AC

:
2017 CX-5 GT AWD
Is it normal to have the Auto climate control feature always turn on the AC? It's been extremely cold (and accompanying low humidity of course) and sometimes I'll drive for awhile not remembering to turn the A/C off. Also would be nice if the A/C 'on' light was a bit bigger, or the A/C button also lit up etc., so I (or my wife) don't miss it. Most cars I've had/driven do usually turn the A/C on for most conditions, but not for all conditions.

If you turn off Auto then it should remain off.

Make sure when you turn on the air conditioning (after you have deselected Auto), you just press the AC button

AC is to dry interior air (from your breath, wet jacket etc) so you don't fog the windows.

The compressor (A/C) will always default to on after it has been switched off otherwise it is fighting with one hand tied behind its back. It is designed to maintain any set temperature so having the aircon compressor running is as important to keep the saloon cool as the heated coolant is to keep it warm. It has an “eco” mode which it will use to have the system tick over so that the incoming air will be dehumidified in moderate temperature settings but when that heat hits you in the summer it will crank it up to full A/C and set back as soon as it is able. I can show you pdf’s if you like.

Is it normal to have the Auto climate control feature always turn on the AC? It's been extremely cold (and accompanying low humidity of course) and sometimes I'll drive for awhile not remembering to turn the A/C off. Also would be nice if the A/C 'on' light was a bit bigger, or the A/C button also lit up etc., so I (or my wife) don't miss it. Most cars I've had/driven do usually turn the A/C on for most conditions, but not for all conditions.

Normal according to the Smart start guide pg 43:

DRIVER'S TEMPERATURE CONTROL DIAL
AUTO ON: Push the dial to turn automatic air conditioning system on (AUTO ON and
A/C indicator on). The airflow mode, fan speed and air conditioning will be automatically
controlled in accordance with the set temperature.

So if auto is off and you just press ac button, should be working as needed...

I am glad that A.C. is always on on auto climate setting since it not only removes humidity and keeps the inside glass panes fogless but also helps to lubricate the seals on the a.c. compressor so that a.c. gas leakage and expensive repairs down the road is avoided. I have had that painful experience with my other car before. Specially if you live in a cold climate with long winters and decide to shut the A.C. during winter, only to discover that come summer your A.C. has stopped working due to gas leakage.

Last edited:
So if auto is off and you just press ac button, should be working as needed...

Automatic Climate Control is a wonderful feature in high end cars but it so often gets misused. If I could sum it up by saying that as the name suggests, it is automatic, then this quite sophisticated and powerful computer will do everything for you - regulate temperature (up and down), shift the direction of airflow (it will base the screen if the wipers are working, keep your feet warm if the outside temp is low and provide chilled but not freezing air to your face on a hot day), it will use the compressor as needed - everything!!!!

You only have to give it one simple instruction - AUTO. If you press anything else you will over ride it. If you press A/C it will only add A/C to whatever was previously selected. Once you press auto, the only adjustment that wont deselect all these auto functions are the temperature selections.

Does Mazda use a supplemental heater before the engine is up to temp?

Only on the diesel because they take so long to warm up. It is called a PTC (positive temperature coefficient) heater and is rated at around a Kw. It wont warm the car up but it just takes the chill off the incoming air which has a dramatic effect on warm up time. Ive added a pdf.

Will do.......

Good info Anchorman.

If the auto is on will the condenser fan still run regardless of the compressor loading up?
I have found that with cars in the past, but haven't bothered to check the cx-5, I usually have the aircon off.

With the cx-5 I find if you turn the car of with out aircon on, then the car restarts in the same state, I find it much easier to operate the aircon this way as I struggle to read the display while driving.

If I want to demist then just pushing the screen demist button clears the screen, when I turn it off the aircon also turns off.

I know Auto takes care of it, but the question was asked above if you turn off auto but use use the AC, when you turn on the AC with Auto off system should actually remember that. Correct (uhm)

I am glad that A.C. is always on on auto climate setting since it not only removes humidity and keeps the inside glass panes fogless but also helps to lubricate the seals on the a.c. compressor so that a.c. gas leakage and expensive repairs down the road is avoided. I have had that painful experience with my other car before. Specially if you live in a cold climate with long winters and decide to shut the A.C. during winter, only to discover that come summer your A.C. has stopped working due to gas leakage.

This is best practice, set it and forget it.

On my CX-5, 2016.5, I have the system set to Auto and the AC light does not come on. Initially setting it to Auto causes the AC light to come on but if I shut the AC off it does not come back on the next time that I start the car.

Good info Anchorman.

If the auto is on will the condenser fan still run regardless of the compressor loading up?

Fairly sure they only run with the compressor unless of course they are activated to keep the engine cool.

On my CX-5, 2016.5, I have the system set to Auto and the AC light does not come on. Initially setting it to Auto causes the AC light to come on but if I shut the AC off it does not come back on the next time that I start the car.

As with many systems, the A/C logic was re-vamped with the 2017 so things happen slightly differently.

I think it’s funny on the forum for my Ford there is a similar thread about auto. I just leave it on auto and it works! But so many people just seem to hate it and constantly override and change settings.

I did wonder about PTC because the engine does provide heat pretty quickly and on par with the Ford which has an Ecoboost. The Ecoboost has the exhaust manifold in a water jacket which is the primary reason it heats up so fast I believe. That’s not why they do it though but I won’t digress. I wonder what trick Mazda is using.

I think it’s funny on the forum for my Ford there is a similar thread about auto. I just leave it on auto and it works! But so many people just seem to hate it and constantly override and change settings.

I did wonder about PTC because the engine does provide heat pretty quickly and on par with the Ford which has an Ecoboost. The Ecoboost has the exhaust manifold in a water jacket which is the primary reason it heats up so fast I believe. That’s not why they do it though but I won’t digress. I wonder what trick Mazda is using.

The new CX-5 uses a radiator shutter to speed up the warm up.

Back