Extended Warranty Question

:
2021 Acura RDX
Ok, I have never owned a Mazda before. I have a 2017 GT which is a new model year (redesign). I currrentky have 5k miles on it, and Im really starting to wonder if I should look more into an extended warranty. I know Ive asked this before, but I am thinking about some of the issues others are facing.

I know its a crapshoot, but would extending it to 100k (1,200 - 200 deductible).

With Mazda engineering, am I worrying way too much about this?

If you need it with a CX-5, you definitely need it with just about every other brand including the Germans. It doesn’t matter if you are talking about cameras, tv’s or cars, the Japanese are the masters of mass production.

The longer you keep the car and the more miles you do, the more you import risk so if you plan to keep it a long time, you might feel more comfortable by having the warranty. Whether you change the car at 3 years or buy the warranty, you are going to pay for that comfortable feeling. For others, they are prepared to shoulder the risk and often it pays off. It’s not about the car, it’s about you.

Makes sense! I have never had a Mazda, but you bring up a good point about Japanese vehicles! I do love the Mazda.

Do ALOT of research on the types of extended warranties that are out there. Since Mazda doesn't provide one(even though they should considering the number of problems people have reported here), you'll be stuck with 3rd party options. I've never purchased a 3rd party warranty but I have heard horror stories about getting the work done once a problem comes up.

If you decide to get a extended warranty, read the very fine print before writing that check. The warranty company decides in the end if it’s a warranted issue or not even though you might think it is. There are pros and cons to warranties.

If you had a 2016 CX-5 with the tech package and don't have a car fund/emergency fund, then I would say yes. That said, it is still better to save up for a car fund/emergency fund than getting an extended warranty, because if you end up not using the extended warranty, you can't get that money back. While the money in a car fund/emergency fund will still be there and you can use it for other expenses.

I have never bought one and am 10s of thousands of dollars ahead. I would consider one ONLY if the vehicle I HAD to have has a very poor reputation and CU is one source of reliability ratings. Ed

I am seeing reports of 17s with new transmissions - the guy who had a high pitch at 40 mph and his tranny was replaced there were 3-4 others with exact same problem. With different dealers their experience will vary.
At this point - I really hope I would have bought a certified Mazda instead of a new one.
Also with 2.5 skyactiv - I do not believe I am seeing tranny failures in 3 / 6 or even the CX-9. I believe its a problem local to CX-5. It is something in the skyactiv tranny that is a basic design issue it seems.

I am seeing reports of 17s with new transmissions - the guy who had a high pitch at 40 mph and his tranny was replaced there were 3-4 others with exact same problem. With different dealers their experience will vary.
At this point - I really hope I would have bought a certified Mazda instead of a new one.
Also with 2.5 skyactiv - I do not believe I am seeing tranny failures in 3 / 6 or even the CX-9. I believe its a problem local to CX-5. It is something in the skyactiv tranny that is a basic design issue it seems.

More likely a manufacturing issue, not a design problem.

From personal experiences with a BMW ext warranty, wear-n-tear items are not covered.
That is about 1/2 of the repair cost.
Things like piping (cooling), suspension, etc. are not covered.
Yes, do read the fine prints.

With ext warranty, repairs need to be approved before it actually gets done.
That means: when they are on holidays (like Christmas), your vehicle will be sitting in the shop.
I once had the wiper motor failure. It was Christmas, and it rained almost everyday then.
I had no choice but to fix it on my own $$$.

Unless big powertrain items fail at some point, you are not likely to get your money's worth.
My '98 540iA was very problematic, and I did not even get my $2450 back due to:
1) only roughly 1/2 of cost was covered (no wear-n-tear)
2) no big ticket items failed. Just cooling parts/pipes, sensors, gaskets, actuators, wiper motor, etc.

If in US - just get Geico insurance and if new car they offer warranty which is reasonable, well priced and covers a LOT of items..............

Is there anyone on here with a higher mileage CX-5? If so, what problems have you experienced?

I will be going in for my first oil change next week (6k miles). I will be going full synthetic as well.

Back