Took CX-5 on some soft roading and then down to the beach

Kedis82ZE8

'15 CX-5 AWD GT w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
CX-5 is lot narrower than my GX so on roads with some brush easier to get through and my Wrangler doesn't have AC. That being said I did get a few light clear-coat scratches. Scratch X seems to have gotten them out but I really need to learn how to use a rotary polisher.

We were down near an old ghost town called Lester here in WA state.

62861_zzz_500.jpg

IMG_7125.png

On beach watched the helicopters pulling water out of the lake for the forest fire near my cabin.

They are now bring in these Fireboss planes.

Screen%20Shot%202017-08-27%20at%203.30.20%20PM.png

Screen%20Shot%202017-08-27%20at%203.30.24%20PM.png

Hope you cabin makes it untouched. We both know how fast and bad the fires can be up here.. Like the rear covered in trail dust.. LOL..

Do you feel the paint and clear coat is soft and easily chipped and scratched..? I noticed mine scratches and chips easy..

I find Meguiars Scratch-X to be an overpriced and under performing version of their rubbing compound. I believe it slots between their rubbing compound and polish as far as grit goes.

YMMV

I guess the CX-5 is Soft-road-able ...
I'll have to consider taking it up to some unpaved roads in NAPA wine country when I get the chance.

banjos-n-beer: A detailer I am not.. it did work for scratches I got on my CX-5. I need to reconnect with my ex-brother-in-law... he has been a professional detailer for the last 25 years. I'd like to learn professional clear-coat repair & detail with power buffer. I don't have a vehicle I am comfortable testing it out on. My old Explorer my nephew has would have been a good candidate. :)

In the meantime I've started looking at some of the Chemical Guys info.

Panda_415 & Moonlighter : Definitely a good soft roader. I plan to get some more aggressive off-road tires when the Toyos wear out. Maybe next year. This rig does quite well and this is coming form someone with some fairly good off-road vehicles. Moonlighter... I haven't had a chance to use in really soft sand. I have been in a number of wheel lifting and semi-steep scenarios and CX-5 does well. I can't slow crawl (4L) like the other vehicles but getting on the gas and a little use of brakes when you think you might get stuck and it pulls through well.

I need to pickup a Go-pro or some decent camera besides my phone with a static mount and video some time. I need to check back on some of the off-road threads on recommended tires. I have no doubt with the right tires the CX-5 could take that little TFL test on Gold Mine Hill. They didn't test it out on the '17 they took up there. Tires make all the difference in these situations. Mazda does target the "on-road" experience so it's expected that stock tires might not do as good offroad with OEM tires.

an alternative to a GoPro would be a DASHcam ...
I have the Viofo A119S ... while not as good as a GoPro in terms of picture quality...
I think its a good investment for when "Life" happens.

(mswerd)

banjos-n-beer: A detailer I am not.. it did work for scratches I got on my CX-5. I need to reconnect with my ex-brother-in-law... he has been a professional detailer for the last 25 years. I'd like to learn professional clear-coat repair & detail with power buffer. I don't have a vehicle I am comfortable testing it out on. My old Explorer my nephew has would have been a good candidate. :)

In the meantime I've started looking at some of the Chemical Guys info.

I'm sure it will work in some situations, but when you can get twice the amount of Rubbing Compound for half the price of the Scratch-X, it just seems like a waste of money.

I hear ya about wanting to learn how to properly use a power tool for buffing.

I find Meguiars Scratch-X to be an overpriced and under performing version of their rubbing compound. I believe it slots between their rubbing compound and polish as far as grit goes.

YMMV
I used to use Scratch-X to repair scratched CDs back in the day.

Back