Clang! Clang! Clang!

Tango2014

:
2015 CX-5 Touring, FWD, Born: October 2014 Moon/BOSE
This started happening about a month ago. VERY sporadic, but always a 3-clang sound. It happens when audio is on or off. It seems to be coming from the speakers though....so not sure why it happens when the audio is off. Sometimes you can go a few days without hearing it at all - then you will hear it several times while driving. Since you can't get the dealer to identify a sound until THEY hear it - I had to resort to videoing my drives with my iPad in hopes of catching it on the audio. After several attempts when it never went off when I was ready, I FINALLY captured it today! You can hear it at the end. Video is blank and is only 5 seconds long. Nothing visible on dash. Thoughts?

Attachments

• trim.17BF8716-5647-462F-8B86-97F709959FDE.MOV
    1.1 MB · Views: 150
Last edited:
There is a TSB for older CX5s with the speaker assembly being the issue. Check the TSB thread. It should be one of the last 5 posts.

I'd call those "chimes" rather than "clangs". They sound like deliberate signals rather than something hitting something else.

Thanks! I'll check it out.... (My heart sank when I read "older CX5s" - my baby is only couple of years 'old'.....)

Murky: in reality - it actually sounds like something metal hammering on an 'out of tune' bell. When I first heard it - I thought I had past a construction site and they were pile-driving steel beams - definitely a 'clang' sound. More so than the audio depicts - but certainly not a mechanical sound like something banging up against something in the vehicle. I agree with you - it would be classified as a signal sound. But WHAT?!? Lol....

Mazdadude: No red light/speed sensor. I do have NAV - but it is not in use when clanging goes off. (If that makes a difference)

Mazdadude: No red light/speed sensor. I do have NAV - but it is not in use when clanging goes off. (If that makes a difference)

I remember on the TOM TOM nav system, you could set sounds for when you drove by certain things. I believe it worked even when you were not actively USING the nav.

I once activated a few different sound effects on ours that would occur whenever you drove by a school or a bank or red light camera. I believe there were many other options for other sounds and places. Have you ever changed the NAV voice to another one of the optional voices? FUN STUFF!

Next time, before powering on or driving the car, maybe try opening the SD slot door, to prevent the TOMTOM from booting, and see if you still hear that sound.

Last edited:
It's the red light chime. This happens regardless if the NAV is activated. Have you noticed it only goes off when you pass certain stop lights?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the red light chime. This happens regardless if the NAV is activated. How you noticed it only goes off when you pass certain stop lights?
YES! That was it. I had recently (about a month ago - AH-HA!) updated the NAV card and I guess it reset all the alerts. Went to the 'Services' menu and shut her off. Mystery solved - yayyy!

Congrats. Does it go off for every red light, or only if it seems like you aren't stopping for it?

Congrats. Does it go off for every red light, or only if it seems like you aren't stopping for it?

It's a red light camera alert, so it chimes to let you know the intersection has a red light camera. The cars have no way of determining what color the light is when you're approaching the intersection.

It's a red light camera alert, so it chimes to let you know the intersection has a red light camera. The cars have no way of determining what color the light is when you're approaching the intersection.

That is very cool if it is detecting red light cameras. How does it do that?

I figured it could judge the color of stop lights the same way it reads road signs to tell the speed limit for the heads up display.

That is very cool if it is detecting red light cameras. How does it do that?

I figured it could judge the color of stop lights the same way it reads road signs to tell the speed limit for the heads up display.

The locations of the RED - LIGHT cameras are located on the SD card for the NAV system.

This is only for the TOMTOM nav system used from 2013-2015. Later vehicles use a different system that does not have this feature.

Last edited:
Back