Loud THUNK sound that is somewhat concerning

vessel

:
2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/i-ActiveSense
I was cruising along at around 65mph when circumstances required me to either slam the brakes or floor it and change lanes to safely avoid an impending situation - I chose to floor it. The car made a very loud thunk noise that lasted maybe a half second and sounded like metal slamming together and immediately jerked forward, then it accelerated as expected. Anyone know what's going on? I've floored previous vehicles under similar circumstances and never experienced anything like this. As far as I can tell everything is behaving fine, but I can't help but be concerned. I've floored it several times in the past few weeks I've owned it and this is the first time it's made a noise or jerked forward like this.

I was cruising along at around 65mph when circumstances required me to either slam the brakes or floor it and change lanes to safely avoid an impending situation - I chose to floor it. The car made a very loud thunk noise that lasted maybe a half second and sounded like metal slamming together and immediately jerked forward, then it accelerated as expected. Anyone know what's going on? I've floored previous vehicles under similar circumstances and never experienced anything like this. As far as I can tell everything is behaving fine, but I can't help but be concerned. I've floored it several times in the past few weeks I've owned it and this is the first time it's made a noise or jerked forward like this.
I've experienced something similar, twice. I think it is the engine hitting the firewall due to weakened engine mounts, or it could be a transmission issue. My transmission has already been replaced under warranty due to another issue. I have been waiting for it to happen again before I finally take it in to the dealership to have it checked.

That is very concerning. In my case it sounded like it came from under the vehicle towards the rear so I would be surprised if it was the engine doing it.

Something I learned early on about my 2013 CX-5 is that, under certain driving conditions (often pulling a slight grade at about half throttle) if you really floor it the trans will drop one gear more than it seems like it should (like maybe from 6th to 3rd) and the result can be quite jarring (some might call it a THUNK). I've learned to modulate the throttle more carefully in those circumstances and can usually prevent it from happening.

That is very concerning. In my case it sounded like it came from under the vehicle towards the rear so I would be surprised if it was the engine doing it.

Differential noise maybe. That's where I'd start. Hopefully she doesn't start to whine too...

Interesting. I guess I will be listening for weird noises for awhile then. I've driven about 75 miles since it happened and everything seems fine but I've only had music or audiobooks playing. I'll test it out tonight and see what's up.

Interesting. I guess I will be listening for weird noises for awhile then. I've driven about 75 miles since it happened and everything seems fine but I've only had music or audiobooks playing. I'll test it out tonight and see what's up.

There may not be a problem. Hopefully for some reason the sudden go just made the coupling or pinion make the thud noise. Fingers crossed that was it...

I've had the same exact thing happen a couple times to me as well. Really surprised me when it happened. Not sure if it is normal or not, but I am guessing not. But I have no other issues at all with the transmission. Thing rides so smooth and I can rarely ever feel it shift.

Most likely the rear locking abruptly. The downshift + the full throttle can do that. Especially with the flexible af stock transmission mount, and econo tires. As the diff locks further it also is trying to keep wheels at the same speed and the sudden power increase could easily speed up a rear wheel more than the front. You can trigger that sometimes just by doing a 1-2 wot shift with the OEM mount, even on a factory ECU tune.

Quickly changing lanes reduces weight on inside tires and accelerating hard may cause wheel slip which could kick in traction control...

Most likely the rear locking abruptly. The downshift + the full throttle can do that. Especially with the flexible af stock transmission mount, and econo tires. As the diff locks further it also is trying to keep wheels at the same speed and the sudden power increase could easily speed up a rear wheel more than the front. You can trigger that sometimes just by doing a 1-2 wot shift with the OEM mount, even on a factory ECU tune.

My FWD model has done this twice as well. I don't think it's rear-diff related.

I'm not too concerned about it.

My FWD model has done this twice as well. I don't think it's rear-diff related.

I'm not too concerned about it.
I am a little relieved to hear at least two in here with FWD have had similar issues. I have a FWD CX-5 too and it usually happens when I suddenly go from cruising to WOT to pass. The downshift to 2nd or 3rd and the surge of torque right after I believe leads to this issue.

I am a little relieved to hear at least two in here with FWD have had similar issues. I have a FWD CX-5 too and it usually happens when I suddenly go from cruising to WOT to pass. The downshift to 2nd or 3rd and the surge of torque right after I believe leads to this issue.

It's most likely the transmission or motor mounts then.

It's most likely the transmission or motor mounts then.

My car has less than 3,000 miles on it. Doubt it's the mounts.

I wouldn't be too shocked if it was normal. Only happens on WOT when the tranny is likely dropping 2+ gears.

I wouldn't be too shocked if it was normal. Only happens on WOT when the tranny is likely dropping 2+ gears.

Why couldn't it be the mounts? It's already been said numerous times they're considered weak. I said it's probably normal, and it could be related to the mounts.

Why couldn't it be the mounts? It's already been said numerous times they're considered weak. I said it's probably normal, and it could be related to the mounts.

Ah, 10-4. I thought you were suggesting they were caused by failing mounts.

You mean like I said in #4 above?

Back