Issues with car locking automatically

Cx-5david

:
2016.5 Mazda CX-5
So I've read the owners manual twice now regarding the lock features of the car but still wondering about this. My wife started the car and had the keys in her pocket, went inside our house for a minute or 2 and came back out. She heard the beeping the car does when leaving with the keys but didn't think anything of it. When she came back out all doors were locked except the trunk latch and couldn't unlock the car with the keys. What do you do in this situation if you accidentally take the keys? I tried to re simulate this myself and couldn't do it though. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: I now know you can take the key out manually to unlock the door but is this the only option in this scenario?

Why wouldn't the car unlock with the remote? That seems odd.

You can try pressing the button on the driver's side the door to lock unlock the car.

Sent from my cell phone

Yeah she also tried pressing the button on the door if I recall correctly. I'm really not sure how it happened. I tried to do it myself but couldn't and just want to make sure if it happened again we know some work arounds.

Was anyone else in the car at the time

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Lol no. We do have two little ones so she was obviously stressing about if that happened with kids in the car or something but we never put them in the car until we are fully ready to get in ourselves and leave. I made the joke to her the (new car) fairy was playing a prank from the inside on her.

Check the auto lock settings in the settings menu

I can't help with your problem per-se, but mine won't lock using the remote fob when the engine is running. However, it will lock using the key in the drivers door, but the key must also be used to unlock again (ie not the fob). My previously owned 2015 Mazda 6 was the same, so I assume it's how it's intended.

So I've read the owners manual twice now regarding the lock features of the car but still wondering about this. My wife started the car and had the keys in her pocket, went inside our house for a minute or 2 and came back out. She heard the beeping the car does when leaving with the keys but didn't think anything of it. When she came back out all doors were locked except the trunk latch and couldn't unlock the car with the keys. What do you do in this situation if you accidentally take the keys? I tried to re simulate this myself and couldn't do it though. Thanks in advance.

this is normal, it's the auto lock / walk away feature, if you have remote in your pocket, and ALL doors are closed, you will hear one beep that confirms all doors are closed if you don't hear a beep something is ajar most likely the trunk lid, after you hear the one beep and you move like 3 feet away from the car you will hear one more beep and the lights flash once confirming all doors and trunk are locked.

you're wrong in your post when you say the trunk is unlocked...... it just seems that way, it will only open if you have a key in your pocket, try it...... make sure all doors are locked as above then place your key inside your house like 10 feet away, then go try to open your trunk.... you won't be able to....

in the settings I believe you can disable the auto lock/walk away feature if you don;t want it..... I love the feature.....

Another one for you.
While washing the car I heard a "thunk". All the doors locked while I was leaning in the cargo area, the hatch was open. Fob was in my pocket.

Another one for you.
While washing the car I heard a "thunk". All the doors locked while I was leaning in the cargo area, the hatch was open. Fob was in my pocket.
Sounds like you pressed the for in your pocket

this is normal, it's the auto lock / walk away feature, if you have remote in your pocket, and ALL doors are closed, you will hear one beep that confirms all doors are closed if you don't hear a beep something is ajar most likely the trunk lid, after you hear the one beep and you move like 3 feet away from the car you will hear one more beep and the lights flash once confirming all doors and trunk are locked.

you're wrong in your post when you say the trunk is unlocked...... it just seems that way, it will only open if you have a key in your pocket, try it...... make sure all doors are locked as above then place your key inside your house like 10 feet away, then go try to open your trunk.... you won't be able to....

in the settings I believe you can disable the auto lock/walk away feature if you don;t want it..... I love the feature.....

+1 this is how mine works...

one caveat though, If you move away from the car before all the doors are closed i.e. stragglers, the doors WILL NOT LOCK automatically and you will be susceptible to theft, that's why I always press lock button just to be safe.....

You missed the part where he said the car was running. Changes things up a bit!

In the OP's scenario, someone inside the car can lock the doors. We do sometimes when I need to run inside the store for something and I tell my wife sitting in the back seat with child to lock the doors while waiting for me. Car and AC is running.

Additionally when I pickup the kid from daycare, I leave the car with AC running on. I manually lock the door with the key....then enter the (cool) car by manually unlocking the door with key. Especially helpful when temps reach 110+ degrees in my region.

In the OP's scenario, someone inside the car can lock the doors. We do sometimes when I need to run inside the store for something and I tell my wife sitting in the back seat with child to lock the doors while waiting for me. Car and AC is running.

Additionally when I pickup the kid from daycare, I leave the car with AC running on. I manually lock the door with the key....then enter the (cool) car by manually unlocking the door with key. Especially helpful when temps reach 110+ degrees in my region.

Yeah seems the only way in my situation is to use the manual key to unlock.

Back