City MPG Casual Driving

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
OMG (yippy) 30 minutes, all 25 & 35 mph zones. I was driving very casually.

Attachments

• MPG.jpg
    MPG.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 826
I get that sometimes, too, but mostly when I don't run into many red lights. Also, going downhill will definitely bump the numbers, I usually take the average of the round trip instead.

Yea, made a bunch of lights.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

16 Mile commute to work this morning. All two lane road, light traffic. Several traffic lights 28 MPG. Very happy with mileage

This car does do something. The Rpms definitely drop a tiny bit when at a light.

Last edited:
For those that run into red lights every 30-60 seconds, I wonder if something can be done similar to the mild-hybrid or Honda's idling-stop (http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-picturebook/idling-stop/). Would the new HCCI engine be able to do something to save fuel while idling at stop light (and without affecting the ability to depart quickly)?

i-stop and i-eloop. Not sold on the US models though, probably pushes cost past their target market.

60k+ miles and lifetime average is 30 MPG. Then again its the 2.0 FWD. I'd expect the real world MPGs for the 2.5 to range from 25-27 MPG.

My brother's new Volvo XC90 T5 shuts down when the car comes to a stop. Its obnoxious because of the way it "slams/jars" when the engine starts back up. Plus its a royal pain when you're trying to run full blown AC in a hot humid Southern Summer.

Luckily it can be turned off upon start-up. Certainly not worth the miniscule gas savings its supposed to provide.

I have yet to ride in another vehicle that has this feature, but its one I would find of little importance and would avoid at just about all costs.

Everyone is moving towards it. Also had an S60 that did it, loaner. Worked fine. I'm just not ready for it, I suppose. Lol.

For those that run into red lights every 30-60 seconds, I wonder if something can be done similar to the mild-hybrid or Honda's idling-stop (http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-picturebook/idling-stop/). Would the new HCCI engine be able to do something to save fuel while idling at stop light (and without affecting the ability to depart quickly)?
Yeah like craigo said Mazda does have i-stop and i-ELOOP designed specifically for this stop-and-go traffic to save fuel. In fact, Mazda's i-stop is superior than most other similar systems as the engine stops at a pre-designed position so that it can restart with only injecting fuel without much help from the starter. It's the smoothest system available on the market right now. Unfortunately we can't have a taste of i-stop and very few models offer i-ELOOP in the US.

Yeah like craigo said Mazda does have i-stop and i-ELOOP designed specifically for this stop-and-go traffic to save fuel. In fact, Mazda's i-stop is superior than most other similar systems as the engine stops at a pre-designed position so that it can restart with only injecting fuel without much help from the starter. It's the smoothest system available on the market right now. Unfortunately we can't have a taste of i-stop and very few models offer i-ELOOP in the US.

Thanks craigo and yrwei52 for pointing out i-stop. From Mazda site (http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/i-stop/):
- the system improves fuel economy by approximately eight percent
- the restart takes place in a mere 0.35 seconds (internal measurement on vehicle with automatic transmission), which is about half of the time taken by conventional starter-motor idling stop systems.

Warming up in the driveway for 10 minutes = piss poor mpg...
And I drive pretty aggressively 90% of the time. On that last one I was flirting with 29 too.

Based on your history, your "current MPG" is 22.9 and your previous trip is even worse ⋯ (uhm)

attachment.php

That's typical. 22.5-23.5 is what a AWD 2.5L CX5 gets daily driving with mostly highway in my own experience. That said, I still get 30+ doing 35mph in residential areas.

Back