Paddle Shifter Option (Kenstyle)

SK77X

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 GT, 2017 CX-9 GT
For those who have or plan to the paddle shifter retrofit, I think we can all agree the paddles themselves aren't the sexiest design out there. There are a couple of options on eBay that screw on to the stock paddles, but they too don't look all that great.

I stumbled across the follow paddle design from Kenstyle (Japanese car accessories company), and wanted to get opinions on the look and installation feasibility. I've looked around online and the only website that has the CX-5 paddles for sale is sold out. The Kenstyle website doesn't allow direct purchasing, so I have contacted JapanParts to see if they can get a hold of this item.

Thoughts? :)

slide05.jpg

diagram09_b.jpg

diagram06_b.jpg

imgrc0063959274.jpg

imgrc0063959275.jpg

imgrc0063959273.jpg

A few helpful sites:
http://www.kenstyle.co.jp/product/long_paddle_shift.html (Google Chrome auto-translates for me)
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/rs-online/item/kenstyle-paddle-roadster_nd/?s-id=borderless_recommend_item_en (includes installation steps)

Last edited:
I really like those!!! Let us know what Japanparts says, maybe we can get a group buy together or something. I'm hoping to order my paddle shift kit once I sell the two extra rear bumper guards that I have. I'd love to add these to the mix as well and do it right the first time. Knowing they are Ken Style I'm guessing they are probably about $150-200 for the set and it's not even the entire paddle shift mechanism, just the levers.

It is way better, then what I have. Actually it is perfect.

Agreed! The moment I saw them and realized they were actually for the CX-5 I was hooked! If they are available, it won't be cheap (~$200 all up), but as you said, they are perfect!

I really like those!!! Let us know what Japanparts says, maybe we can get a group buy together or something. I'm hoping to order my paddle shift kit once I sell the two extra rear bumper guards that I have. I'd love to add these to the mix as well and do it right the first time. Knowing they are Ken Style I'm guessing they are probably about $150-200 for the set and it's not even the entire paddle shift mechanism, just the levers.

You're spot on about the cost. The website where it is sold-out had a price of $117 before shipping, and the Kenstyle website actually lists a retail price higher than that. It would definitely make sense to wait on these and install your paddle shifters in one go. Kenstyle website states they're made of aluminum, so that should mean good quality and feel.

Fingers crossed Japanparts can get these!!

I wonder if he knows there is a difference between the 2016's and the rest of the model years as far as back steering wheel cover. Depending on how much shipping is I might go for it from him. Maybe, I don't know if I trust that just yet

HI Guys,

SK77X found me from another forum. i am doing a group buy now for Kensyle paddles and steering wheel. if you guys are interested, please fill the following order form.
I already send the order to my supplier, but i still can add your order. please let me know ASAP.

PS:you can just buy the kenstyle paddles if you already have the paddle shifter.

http://goo.gl/forms/jlembelgIv

(norijian) So, if I already have the paddle shifter and I want only the Kennstyle paddles, how much that will cost me?

(norijian) So, if I already have the paddle shifter and I want only the Kennstyle paddles, how much that will cost me?

The pricing listed on his order for the Kenstyle paddles alone is $130. That's US$11 less than Japanparts.

I'm not sure how much he'll charge for shipping.

Also, norijian, what sort of time frame are you expecting for these part/s to arrive?

Looks a little on the big side for my taste, but I can see where it holds some appeal. It looks like the paddle itself must be disassembled and this part added onto the OEM paddle base? Kinda sucks because the wheel has to come off again in order to install it. Otherwise, simple enough install...go big or go home right. (naughty)

So do the prices include shipping or is there still going to be shipping added?

So do the prices include shipping or is there still going to be shipping added?

From his order form page:

"The price of each item already includes the customs tax, overseas shipping cost. You just need to pay this price plus shipping and handling from me to your location."

I have had paddle shift on another car. I found that the times I want to shift manually were when I was driving in a fun way on twisty back roads. For this type of driving, the stearing wheel is always in the wrong place and moving. I probably used it 5 times in 10 years. It is probably very handy for straight line racing.

Dont understand something. Everyone here is commenting every time about Mazda being Zoom Zoom. This omission of paddle snifters seems polar opposite to that philosophy. C'mon - for any spirited driving these paddles go a long way, at least in pure perception. Cars, striving (marketing) to be one, normally emphasize these snifters.

Dont understand something. Everyone here is commenting every time about Mazda being Zoom Zoom. This omission of paddle snifters seems polar opposite to that philosophy. C'mon - for any spirited driving these paddles go a long way, at least in pure perception. Cars, striving (marketing) to be one, normally emphasize these snifters.

We all can thank Mazda North America for not offering the paddle shifters on the CX-5.....and also the highly price-competitive compact SUV market.

I can kinda' understand why they aren't on the CX-5. I'm in Denver the Suv capital of the world. Most of the cx-5 owners I see are old women, retired couples and moms. All of which I doubt know what a paddle shifter is much less want one. I'm glad we have the option to add. I did & love it but ol' Gurt don't care. Mazda knows that.

I can kinda' understand why they aren't on the CX-5. I'm in Denver the Suv capital of the world. Most of the cx-5 owners I see are old women, retired couples and moms. All of which I doubt know what a paddle shifter is much less want one. I'm glad we have the option to add. I did & love it but ol' Gurt don't care. Mazda knows that.

Completely agree that the vast majority of CX-5 owners couldn't care about paddle shifters. Being able to manually shift using the shifter is good enough.....BUT, at least offer it as an option. Offer the folding mirrors as an option, offer memory seats as an option, ..and there are a few other options that aren't even available in the US market. The paddle shifters are a bit frustrating because they do offer it on other models sold in the US.

We all can thank Mazda North America for not offering the paddle shifters on the CX-5.....and also the highly price-competitive compact SUV market.

Ah.. so it does have it - elsewhere. Man!

Back