Tips on doing the engine wash for CX5

:
2013 CX5 GT
I have a 2013 GT version and the engine bay needs a wash already. I am just planning to use some all purpose cleaner or degreaser since I do not have any water source in my parking area.

Any tips for those who have done this approach. Should I cover the sensitive parts like the alternator and battery?

"Already"? At three years this is pretty normal. The way I do it (and I just did my 2013 for the first time a month or so ago) is to give it a "sponge bath" using a bucket of mild, soapy water to clean (with a small terry cloth towel) followed by a bucket of clear water to rinse with another towel followed by an old chamois to dry. That way you don't have to worry about getting water where it doesn't belong because you can control the process more precisely. Granted, I don't get into every little nook and cranny, but the end result is pretty damned good!

I typically spray it down and then go for a good drive. I do it somewhat regularly to prevent any crazy build-up. Terrible, you say? You should see what car dealers do. I've yet to see it cause a problem, working at a Ford dealer for a year. Had zero come-backs for electrical issues or anything of the sort, and never saw it on the lot, either, even on cars that sat for 100+ days without sale, and they didn't drive them after they blasted the hell out of the engine bay, either. Just parked them.

I have a 2013 GT version and the engine bay needs a wash already. I am just planning to use some all purpose cleaner or degreaser since I do not have any water source in my parking area.

Any tips for those who have done this approach. Should I cover the sensitive parts like the alternator and battery?

Not having a way to wash where it is parked is a pain, as I would recommend spraying a cold engine bay with just water, and then taking for a drive to dry, instead of spraying a warmed up motor. Avoid using any cleaners if possible, but if you must,you would be amazed what a sponge and dish soap / water in a spray bottle can do under the hood.

I just cleaned my engine bay a few weeks back. I used Gunk Engine Brite - Foamy. It won't clean off any oil/grease (mine was just dusty) but it does a good job with dirt.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Spray on, let sit, then spray off. Use a cloth or flexible loose bristle brush to agitate areas where dirt has settled.

I saran wrap the electrical connectors and use 2-3 grocery bags to cover the alternator. I use a clean tire brush for agitation with dawn soap. A garden hose to rinse, leaf blower for quick drying.

Its generally a bad idea to clean an engine bay. To many electrical sensors and computers on todays cars. Driving on a dusty dirt road can really muck up an engine bay though. I go to car wash after a good drive so engine is warm, then wait a while for headers to cool. Only use rinse spray, and then holding it 2-3 feet from engine bay. You don't want to force water into an electrical connection. One car I owned refused to start after a light rinse. I just waited till the engine heat evaporated water, and then it started right up. Its risky, but sometimes you have to take a risk.

Back