Does your MPG meet your expectations?

Does your Mazda CX-5's MPG meet expectations?

• 2.0L Engine, FRONT WHEEL DRIVE: Yes, my MPG MEETS my expectations

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • 2.0L Engine, FRONT WHEEL DRIVE: Yes, my MPG EXCEEDS my expectations

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • 2.0L Engine, FRONT WHEEL DRIVE: NO, the MPG FAILS my expectations

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2.0L Engine, AWD: Yes, my MPG MEETS my expectations

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 2.0L Engine, AWD: Yes, my MPG EXCEEDS my expectations

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • 2.0L Engine, AWD: NO, the MPG FAILS my expectations

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2.5L Engine, FRONT WHEEL DRIVE: Yes, my MPG MEETS my expectations

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • 2.5L Engine, FRONT WHEEL DRIVE: Yes, my MPG EXCEEDS my expectations

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • 2.5L Engine, FRONT WHEEL DRIVE: NO, the MPG FAILS my expectations

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • 2.5L Engine, AWD: Yes, my MPG MEETS my expectations

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • 2.5L Engine, AWD: Yes, my MPG EXCEEDS my expectations

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • 2.5L Engine, AWD: NO, the MPG FAILS my expectations

Votes: 20 28.2%

• Total voters

mazdadude

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOM
:
'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Does your MPG meet your expectations? FAIL, MEET, EXCEEDS

Do you have a 2.0L or 2.5L engine? 2.0L, 2.5L

Do you have FWD Front wheel drive, or AWD All wheel drive? FWD, AWD

No. 2016, AWD, 2.5L.

I've tried different variations of driving and am still not getting the MPG that Mazda has posted. I am averaging 24mpg with 90% highway on my way to work.

Fail; 2.5L AWD.

City MPG is fine, but highway MPG is way off the EPA rating: 26.5 MPG!

Considering the 2.5L AWD is rated at 26 MPG combined, I am by far exceeding that rating. But I voted for "meeting" rather than exceeding due to the question being asked about my expectations. I figured if I could beat 26 MPG I would be happy.

Hwy mpgs vary between fail and meets.

City Mpgs exceeds.

CX-5 2.0 FWD combined mpg - 30mpg
Mazda6 2.5 FWD combined mpg- 29mpg.

It is OK considering that is an SUV. I was getting 20-21MPG, with my 08' VW Rabbit.
I have never reached 26.5MPG!
I'm getting 21-22MPG, but I'm driving pretty much only in the streets and stop and go on the freeway.

Considering the 2.5L AWD is rated at 26 MPG combined, I am by far exceeding that rating. But I voted for "meeting" rather than exceeding due to the question being asked about my expectations. I figured if I could beat 26 MPG I would be happy.

Expectations are key. I get less than the EPA (although not by much), but based on how I drive and the conditions, this is no surprise. I'm an enthusiast, not a hypermiler.

CX-5 2.5 AWD.
Between Xmas and New Year, we took a 800 miles roundtrip to Ontario. I used Interstates 99% of the time with no traffic whatsoever. Steady 65mph speed with Cruise Control. Whoever has been to Lake Erie, Niagara Falls and Lake Ontario knows that it's flat.
Avg MPG for the trip: 26.7
Am I upset? No. Is it consistent with the 30mpg or so that Mazda advertises for highway? No.

CX-5 2.5 AWD.
Between Xmas and New Year, we took a 800 miles roundtrip to Ontario. I used Interstates 99% of the time with no traffic whatsoever. Steady 65mph speed with Cruise Control. Whoever has been to Lake Erie, Niagara Falls and Lake Ontario knows that it's flat.
Avg MPG for the trip: 26.7
Am I upset? No. Is it consistent with the 30mpg or so that Mazda advertises for highway? No.

This is not representative of the EPA's highway cycle.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/fe_test_schedules.shtml

See also: https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/factors.shtml

Last edited:

How come then other manufacturers are able to meet it? Do they have a different EPA highway cycle. No. The reason other drivers are able to beat EPA is because other manufacturers realize the cycle is NOT truly realistic and adjust accordingly prior to publishing. What frenchbiker wrote is quite common, i.e. driving a long distance at 65 mph. I believe Mazda went out of the way to get high fuel economy values while sticking to EPA regulations on testing without realizing real life is slightly different.....

How come then other manufacturers are able to meet it? Do they have a different EPA highway cycle. No. The reason other drivers are able to beat EPA is because other manufacturers realize the cycle is NOT truly realistic and adjust accordingly prior to publishing. What frenchbiker wrote is quite common, i.e. driving a long distance at 65 mph. I believe Mazda went out of the way to get high fuel economy values while sticking to EPA regulations on testing without realizing real life is slightly different.....

I posted this in another MPG thread:

"Our 2015 CRV AWD EX is rated at 25/31, 27 combined. We're getting ~28 combined. So, in our experience, the Honda is rated higher than the AWD CX5, but gets the same mileage as our CX5."

So neither are hitting the highway MPG, but both are exceeding the combined rating.

No.
Do you have a source for this statement other than your anecdotal evidence of driving a rav4 and a cr-v?

All car-makers test their cars on the same test cycles and they all apply the same adjustments that are specified by law.
Some cars do better in certain parts of the test and do poorly in other parts.

I really really wish the EPA would do simple tests instead of the "simulated real world" drive cycles they currently use.

These two numbers would by enough to keep me happy:
1. FE to accelerate from 0-45-0 5 times starting with a cold engine.
2. FE at steady speed 80MPH

Last edited:

What nonsense. The quoted numbers are listed on window stickers which are federally mandated and regulated. Nobody "adjusts prior to publishing", this would be quite illegal.

If there is a weakness in the testing it's that most of it is done by contractors and submitted by manufacturers. However, each year the EPA randomly picks some vehicles from each manufacturer and tests them themselves. If there's a discrepancy between what the EPA finds and what the manufacturer has submitted, that is a big deal. Hyundai/Kia was recently fined millions for this (and they blamed the contractor). Here are spreadsheets of the total vast amount of data. There's a column that lists which vehicles were EPA tested: http://www3.epa.gov/otaq/tcldata.htm Most recently EPA has been testing Mazda 3's themselves.

2.5 AWD GT. I'm kinda in between. It appears it will average 30 MPH on the highway at 65 mph. But the speed limit is 70 and I like to run faster. So, it is running 28 MPG at 74 and about 26.5 at 80. Not sucky, but not 30.

Miata is rated at 22/28 and gets 28 at 80 in cool weather.

2.5 AWD GT. I'm kinda in between. It appears it will average 30 MPH on the highway at 65 mph. But the speed limit is 70 and I like to run faster. So, it is running 28 MPG at 74 and about 26.5 at 80. Not sucky, but not 30.

Miata is rated at 22/28 and gets 28 at 80 in cool weather.

Miata also has a much smaller cross section for wind resistance. Wind resistance goes up with the square of speed. All other things being equal, the taller suv-like vehicle will suffer a much higher impact from this.

See what happened on Hyundai more than a year ago? And on Nissan several years ago?

Another example:

EPA Fuel Economy Ratings:

2015 Honda CR-V FWD: 27/34/29 City/Highway/Combined
2015 Honda CR-V FWD: 26/33/28 City/Highway/Combined

2016 Honda CR-V FWD: 26/33/29 City/Highway/Combined
2016 Honda CR-V FWD: 25/31/27 City/Highway/Combined

There is no differences between 2015 and 2016 Honda CR-V since the facelift with a new direct injected Earth Dreams 2.4L and CVT for MY 2015. But Honda elected to lower the EPA ratings for 2016 CR-V. Remember car manufactures do the fuel economy testing according EPA's test cycles, they can tweak the EPA numbers whatever they want.

I believe Mazda has programmed CX-5 getting the best fuel economy just for EPA test cycle, especially for highway rating, hence the real-world fuel economy suffers.

You oughta read the rest of my post :)

And if you believe they can tweak the EPA's numbers without disclosing this, you better have a citation.

Back