Fog Light Dash Indicator?

:
2016 CX-5, GT, AWD, Tech. Package
2016 CX-5 GT, Tech Pkg.

It seems there isn't a fog light on indicator on the dash. I haven't found anything in the owner's manual. Am I missing something?

Right under the 5 on the tach...

hqdefault.jpg

Right under the 5 on the tach...

hqdefault.jpg

That green indicator is only for when the headlights are on. When my headlights are on that indicator stays on when my fog lights are on or off. I normally do not have my fog lights on and that light lights up every time my lights turn on.

Actually that green dash light comes on any time any of your lights are on (parking or full headlights). There is no separate Fog Light indicator on the CX5 (at least in America).

That green indicator is only for when the headlights are on. When my headlights are on that indicator stays on when my fog lights are on or off. I normally do not have my fog lights on and that light lights up every time my lights turn on.

Gotcha. Learn something new every day. I thought I noticed that only come on when I turned on the fogs.

2016 CX-5 GT, Tech Pkg.
It seems there isn't a fog light on indicator on the dash. I haven't found anything in the owner's manual. Am I missing something?
Although it's an international standard, but Mazda had decided to eliminate fog-light-on indicator on CX-5's dash to save some pennies in NA market. I really miss these fog indicators as it's not easy to tell if my fog-lights are on or not when I drive our CX-5. The top-left green symbol is the front fog and the top-right amber symbol is for rear fog. Of course the third symbol, which we do have it, is for lights-on indicator.

img_3349.jpg

Actually that green dash light comes on any time any of your lights are on (parking or full headlights). There is no separate Fog Light indicator on the CX5 (at least in America).

Thanks. But I find this to be inadequate as running fog lights along with headlights in Oregon is illegal. It would be nice if there was a separate indicator.

Thanks. But I find this to be inadequate as running fog lights along with headlights in Oregon is illegal. It would be nice if there was a separate indicator.

i've never been blinded by someones factory fogs, so I'm very fascinated by this law. Generally, I find aftermarket HID's to be the worst offenders followed by lifted trucks. Some factory low beams are also terrible, like the LED low beams on the corolla.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/ODOT-Some-drivers-in-a-fog-over-proper-fog-lights-use/29643016

"According to Oregon law, fog and/or auxiliary lights must be used like the high beam headlight system of your car. They must be turned off when within 500 feet of an oncoming vehicle and within 350 feet when following another vehicle.

The color of fog and/or auxiliary lights is also regulated. Fog lights may be either white or amber (yellow). Rules prohibit other colors such as blue."

i've never been blinded by someones factory fogs, so I'm very fascinated by this law. Generally, I find aftermarket HID's to be the worst offenders followed by lifted trucks. Some factory low beams are also terrible, like the LED low beams on the corolla.

Worst offenders, especially the morons that put them in a normal light housing; and Tacky AF!

I agree. I live in a mountainous area subject to fog and I have never had an issue with factory fogs. Low-beam LEDs, on the other hand, are horrendous. I have noticed the Corollas you mentioned create a terrible glare.

We have the green foglights "on" light in the dash cluster on our Aussie CX5's
Yeah, that's why I said these fog light indicators are not available only in North American market. I was amazed Mazda is trying every bit of effort to save pennies just for the US version CX-5's, such as these indicators, glove compartment light, rear fog lights, memory seat, power folding outside mirrors...

Last edited:
It is easy to see on the light stalk if the fogs are set to on or off...
Not in the dark, which is usually when we have the lights on. . .
Exactly. US version CX-5 does have the lights-on indicator, why does Mazda want to eliminate the fog indicator which is available on other market to save some pennies? The light switch is also got blocked by the steering wheel spoke and it's hard to see any symbols on the stalk. The lights-on and fog light indicators in dash have become the international standard and I've not seen any newer cars with fog lights whitout fog indicators except CX-5!

Back