5x10 Trailer - Too wide to tow with CX5?

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
With the 2.5L CX5, can it tow a 5x10 trailer (800 lbs) or is the trailer too wide? I know the weight is OK but I am worried about it being too wide.

I was going to get a 4x8 trailer but noticed that it's not wide and not long enough to carry what I need.

With the 2.5L CX5, can it tow a 5x10 trailer (800 lbs) or is the trailer too wide? I know the weight is OK but I am worried about it being too wide.

I was going to get a 4x8 trailer but noticed that it's not wide and not long enough to carry what I need.

Your Owners Manual has some trailer towing guidelines including maximum frontal area. Without knowing that it is impossible to answer your question but a 5 foot wide trailer is not disqualified simply because it's 5 feet wide. There are plenty of 5 foot wide trailers the CX-5 can tow without issue.

Check out the towing section in your OM.

Your Owners Manual has some trailer towing guidelines including maximum frontal area. Without knowing that it is impossible to answer your question but a 5 foot wide trailer is not disqualified simply because it's 5 feet wide. There are plenty of 5 foot wide trailers the CX-5 can tow without issue.

Check out the towing section in your OM.

So in other words a CX5 can tow a 5' wide trailer?

So in other words a CX5 can tow a 5' wide trailer?

It can tow a 5' wide 10 ft long flat bed empty trailer all day long. Now if the trailer is a closed box 5X10X 5 foot high, that is another story, Load the trailer with 3,000 No.

There are a lot of factors besides the car and the trailer. Hitch, Frontal area, weight, speed, rode condition, hills ETC.

Bring some stuff home from the big box store, Hall a mower across town, Probably no problem.

I pull this 5x8 around with my car and the wife's CX5. Works great!

A 5x10 won't be much different, with either you just need to be careful not to overload it too much. Hauling junk to the dump, compost, woodchips, riding lawnmower, lumber, all no problem.

That gate / ramp on the back sucks though, it feels like you're pulling a parachute. I haven't tried getting on the highway with the ramp up behind the CX5, but I'm sure it would be miserable. Around town / under 50mph, wind resistance isn't really a problem.

attachment.php

IMG_20150729_174056.jpg

The default gate on my trailer was one of those. I opted for a swing type because each winter I haul a one ton pallet of energy logs for my cabin woodstove...

That link claims one ton has 16.3 MBTU per pallet (assuming 240 logs/pallet) However, it also claims one pallet has 1.5 - 2 times the heating capacity of a cord of cordwood. But even the lowly Douglas Fir (which is the lowest BTU wood I cut) has 17.4 MBTU per cord (which is more useable heat than a pallet). My preferred woods run 18.4 - 23.7 MBTU/cord (which is much more available heat). These figures are based upon 20% moisture content of the seasoned wood and 20% air space in the stacked cord. The BTU figures are known as the "low BTU" or "available BTU" figures. Actual content is higher.

Cordwood (and pressed logs) BTU's: https://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm
How the numbers were derived: https://chimneysweeponline.com/howoodbtu.htm

Even White Cedar has 11.6 MBTU/cord so it makes you wonder what kind of "cordwood" they are comparing it to in order to get up to 2 times the heat value of cordwood?

Don't get me wrong, I understand the advantages of pressed logs but I'm just saying their BTU comparisons are wildly misleading!

While we are on the topic... best fire starter..... SuperCedars. Used at Ivars for years and made in Mukilteo.

https://www.supercedar.com/

Wow, those must be the Cadillac of firestarters (at nearly $1/pop). I use Rutland Safe Lite squares (same product as Meeco SureStart) only $0.14 each (includes shipping). No paper, no kindling, just cordwood and 1-2 starters (depending on if I'm in a hurry to get the thing blazing in 5 minutes or not). Works every time. Easy. Cheap.

http://www.essentialhardware.com/me...m_medium=cpc&gclid=CKGq84y2gsoCFdBefgodTs4P0Q

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I agree that there are a lot of "junk" energy logs out there but the two I have listed above are arguably the best on the market.

I understand your concerns but unless you are burning Pacific Madrone... these energy logs will easily out-burn Douglas Fir. You put four of these logs in your stove and you will risk an over-burn.

I do burn Madrone as often as possible but I don't cut them down, I wait for them to shed big limbs or fall over. I have a HUGE Madrone in my back yard, some have commented it's the largest they've ever seen (but I know of one other that is larger). If that ever falls over I'll have about 25 cords of pure Madrone! I also have a lot that has 8-10 Madrone but they are only 1-2 feet in diameter. I also burn Maple, Birch, Oak, Dogwood, Beech, Apple, Cherry and some fairly dense, weathered Douglas Fir.

I understand that, log for log, the pressed logs are more dense, have more BTU's and burn longer than regular cordwood but I was taking issue with their claim that one 2000 lb. pallet has 1.5-2 times the BTU as an entire cord of cordwood. That's simply not even close to being true unless you are talking about complete junk cordwood that I wouldn't burn even if it were free. What's a pallet of those things go for?

They are less than 10% on moisture.

Perhaps right after manufacture but they pick up atmospheric moisture and if stored outside will likely stabilize around the same moisture content as good dry cordwood. I don't consider wood properly dried and seasoned until it's had at least two summers split and stacked and protected from rain in a well ventilated spot. Like fine wine, firewood needs time.

Only need 1/8 of a piece to start fire...assuming one is using dry firewood. I bought a box like 3 years back that is still half full.

Total overkill if one is using a full one one to start a fire...but if one only has wet firewood might do the trick

That makes more sense. If you get 8 fires from one starter then it's about the same price as the Safe Lites. Are they scored for easy breaking or do you cut them up? It seems like they should just make them smaller? Wet firewood is only for survival situations!

Wood burning is a nice heat source but pollution wise, it's really, really bad. The toxins and particulates are huge. Recent study showed wood burning during winter in parts of Alaska created pollution levels that rivaled that of industrial China.

In Phoenix Arizona its actually ILLEGAL to install and use wood burning fireplaces and stoves. The reason is that the pollution during winter use caused horrid and deadly air quality.

Regardless of opinions...glad to hear of another wood burner.... there isn't an equivalent type of heat in the winter IMO. I do my part to ensure my smoke emissions are as clean as possible.

And likewise. Modern EPA approved stoves are amazingly clean burning when operated conscientiously and good fuel is used. The hillbillies around here think as long as it catches on fire and provides some heat it's good firewood. They can't even identify the various species of wood anymore. It was only two or three decades ago they were experts in tree identification, etc. and actually would cut their own wood. Now they pay someone even though they are as poor as ever. When I maintain a flue temperature above 600 degrees there is no visible smoke. And wood burning is essentially carbon neutral so very friendly from a climate perspective. I'm definitely not loosing any sleep over the miniscule amount of particulates that fall over the uninhabited North Cascades without harming a soul.

Most people have replaced their wood stoves with propane or gas but when we get the ginormous West Coast earthquake that happens every 300 years or thereabouts, the woodstove will still work just fine long after the natural gas pipelines are torn to shreds and propane deliveries have ceased because bridges have been knocked off their foundations.

We also regularly tow a 5x8' utility trailer with no issues whatsoever.

Another good fire starter: Pondorosa pine cones - free and plentiful in some parts of central OR/WA.

Another good fire starter: Pondorosa pine cones - free and plentiful in some parts of central OR/WA.

Yes! Birch bark can be excellent as well, especially if harvested at the end of summer. It depends upon the growing conditions but when it's good, it's awesome!

But it's hard to beat the convenience of starter squares at less than $0.15/each.

I narrowed it down to:

A - 6.5x10x2 gravely solid side landscape trailer $1699.99 before sales tax. (empty weight 1000#)

B - 6.5x10x2 sun country mesh side landscape trailer $1499.99 before sales tax. (empty weight 880#)

In essence the 6.5 equals a 5' wide trailer bed x 10' long and 2' tall sides.

I like the solid metal sides but they do weigh 120# more than the mesh sides.

With the 2.5L CX5, can it tow a 5x10 trailer

I tow a 5ft. wide teardrop with absolutely no problems. Wider than 5 ft you'd need auxiliary mirrors but with 5 ft. your just fine.

Here's a link to my build journal on the tnttt.com forum if you want to see how it was built, and here's a journal of a refurb done after our first cross country trip

Here are some pictures:

As it is today (with diamondplate and art deco "wings" on side, done this past summer):
TD_sigpic.jpg

Towed behind my Miata before I painted the mill finish aluminum (part of the refurb):
Miata_Teardrop_019s.jpg

View of the interior (looking towards the back thru one door):
Teardrop_interior_011.jpg

Back