door sill scuff plates

CaboWabo

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD Bose/moonroof, sonic silver
I'm looking to get a set of the 4 door sill scuff plates. I like the OEM set but they are rather pricey at $105. Has anyone gotten a set of the cheaper ones on eBay from China? Wondering how the quality and durability is on those. I just want the regular stick-on sill plates, not the LED ones that light up. Thanks

Last edited:
I have the OEM ones and IMO, they're well worth $100 and look MUCH better than the cheapo chinese ones, but hey, it's your car not mine.

I have the OEM and am very happy with them. If you DO get the OEM, don't use the template that comes with it; just mount them as close to the outside edge of the doorsill as you can. The template positions them too far back for maximum protection.

I have the stick-on Chinese ones and found the tape won't keep them stuck on the door sill. I tried building up the thickness of the tape to even out the hollow space in the underside of the plate. Even though I saved money and they look fine, I am guessing the OEM ones are a better fit and stay secure.

I heard the Chinese ones smell bad of chemicals. Is that true?

I bought this set from Amazon. Work well, have them on since July.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

These looks pretty nice for $30. Not crazy about the blue/red lettering though. Are they longer than the OEM ones? Do you have a pic of them on your car? Did yours arrive with scratches or fingerprints? One of the Amazon reviews said they did. Thanks

Last edited:
100 bucks on metal to step on is silly to me. Buy the cheap ones. The Chinese ones do smell for s short time. But, it goes away quickly. They put some type of what seems to be a petroleum coating all a lot I'd their crap.

These looks pretty nice for $30. Not crazy about the blue/red lettering though. Are they longer than the OEM ones? Do you have a pic of them on your car? Did yours arrive with scratches or fingerprints? One of the Amazon reviews said they did. Thanks

I did not look at the OEMs or any expensive ones since my CX-5 is a lease. My set arrived free of problems, scratches, prints or smells. As I originally wrote, I am completely satisfied with my purchase.

I have the stick-on Chinese ones and found the tape won't keep them stuck on the door sill. I tried building up the thickness of the tape to even out the hollow space in the underside of the plate. Even though I saved money and they look fine, I am guessing the OEM ones are a better fit and stay secure.

When double sided tape isn't strong enough, silicone adhesive can be a life saver. I've installed aftermarket aluminum door sill plates on a different car and the tape didn't stick well. I used the silicone adhesive and clamps to get them to set in place. They have not budged for a couple years now.

(I've also used silicone adhesive around the house to mount things to tile where I didn't want to drill/screw, like shower curtain rods and kitchen utensil hangers. This stuff holds so well it's amazing.)

Just saw these on eBay. I like them better than the other ones with the red/blue lettering.

s-l500.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

just go to alibabba.com or Google sill plates Mazda cx-4, and your year. There are many styles to chose from. They are Chinese aftermarket.

Last edited:
Updating this, I got these installed on my car https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

At first, I didn't really know the rectangular look. But I bought it in an impulse, so there was no turning back. Upon arrival, the package is well wrapped. Had a hard piece of wood to keep it from being damaged during shipping. Material used was really nice and thick also, the 3m tape glued nicely. Got it installed on the car and it looks great. From my friend's point of view, they think it is OEM. And that was good enough for me.

I figured I'd add on to an existing thread instead of starting a new one. I just purchased these off of ebay.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
I'm not a huge fan of chrome but I'll have to wait and see what they look like against the titanium flash mica.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them or not? I searched for existing threads but had not seen them.

I looked at the OEM versions and while the quality was there I really wanted a lip to cover the side. The $25.00 Chinese versions had the lip but I wasn't sure about the quality. At $65.00 these seem to be a middle ground for me. Its going to take a few weeks to get them but I'll try and post some pics when I get them installed, weather permitting.

I figured I'd add on to an existing thread instead of starting a new one. I just purchased these off of ebay.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
I'm not a huge fan of chrome but I'll have to wait and see what they look like against the titanium flash mica.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them or not? I searched for existing threads but had not seen them.

I looked at the OEM versions and while the quality was there I really wanted a lip to cover the side. The $25.00 Chinese versions had the lip but I wasn't sure about the quality. At $65.00 these seem to be a middle ground for me. Its going to take a few weeks to get them but I'll try and post some pics when I get them installed, weather permitting.

I've looked at just about all of the door sill plates for the CX-5, but never did I come across these! They sure are interesting. Maybe a tab plain, but then again, I think that just might work because I'm not a fan of the designs which look busy/over-styled. My only worry is that it is VERY shiny.

Please do post a few photos and your thoughts on fit and finish.

Last edited:
Back