LED Lowbeam headlights

inlinev

:
2016 CX-5 GT w/tech FWD
Now that the nights are getting longer I have had more time to get accustomed to the LED low beams on the CX-5 and I cant help but feel that the beam distance doesnt go as far as other vehicles weve owned.

I can see much further with my 2010 Accord, running standard halogen bulbs, than I can with the CX-5. I find Im reaching for the high beams a lot more with the CX-5, and even the high beams dont throw light out like the high beams on my Accord.

Has anyone else had similar thoughts? Perhaps our CX-5 needs an adjustment?

have the mazda techs take a look at them, there have been a few reports of the lights being aimed to low. I kinda feel the same way about the lights on my car and will bring it up when I go in for me next oil change in a few weeks. I don't know if there is an upper and lower limit to have them set up but if there is I'd like it at the upper limit.

They seem fine on my end, and I live out in a rural area. The cut-off height seems adequate, but everyone's eyes are different.

Having said that, I get flashed almost once per drive when driving at night by folks thinking I have my high-beams on. Too bad they aren't smart enough to know if a car's fog lights are on, the high-beams are off.

Mine seem to work very well. I have LED headlights on one motorcycle, and HID on another so I'm used to good (bright at least) lighting. The cutoff may be a bit low, but the output is fantastic IMO. I have a nice flat wall where I usually check my headlight alignment and height, but haven't felt the need to do that with the CX-5. I may just check the height to verify it's where it should be, but in reality I have no complaints at all with the lighting.

I'm in the camp of excellent output, but the cutoff is too low. Dealer said they were aimed correctly, and if I want them higher I should adjust them myself. I haven't yet because I'll probably get flashed all the time. Not sure what to do about it. I drive a lot of rural roads at night and I'm quite sure that traveling at the speed limit I wouldn't see a deer or other obstacle in time to stop or avoid.

I'm in the camp of excellent output, but the cutoff is too low. Dealer said they were aimed correctly, and if I want them higher I should adjust them myself. I haven't yet because I'll probably get flashed all the time. Not sure what to do about it. I drive a lot of rural roads at night and I'm quite sure that traveling at the speed limit I wouldn't see a deer or other obstacle in time to stop or avoid.

Your second point is my main concern living in rural Pennsylvania.

Did they tell you how you can adjust them?

I find both the HID and the LED headlights low, it was immediately noticeable after the Xtrail I had where the HID where outstanding.

I 've recently found this UK link for the Mazda 3, I haven't got round to looking yet but perhaps the CX-5 is the same?
The link is for Hids though so may be of no use. Still I think its worth a read.

If you google mazda 3 forums /index.php?topic=170.0

Sorry site will not allow the link but you should be able find it.

Last edited:
I rented a Corolla (one-way) and drove to another state to purchase my CX-5. The Corolla had LED lowbeams and I could hardly see with them driving through the mountains. The CX-5's halogens on the return trip were far superior.

Back