Anyone have a Geiger Counter? Radioactive CX-5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:
2014.5 2.5L Touring /w bose
My CX-5 was made in Hiroshima.
You have to wonder about parts being made near Fukushima.

I wonder if trace radioactivity can be found in a CX-5 with a geiger counter?

Are you thinking of radioactivity from the nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima 7 decades ago or the partial nuclear meltdown at Fukushima a few years ago?

In either case, there is likely measurable amounts of trace radiation attributable to both but, the extra amount a person would be exposed to by owning one would be far less than a single chest e-ray. Far less.

If there were more residual radiation than this you can bet you would have heard about it. Most of my life I've been anti-nuclear energy but now that data shows global warming is a far bigger threat to human life than even a proliferation of nuclear plants, I've become pro-nuclear energy. We just need to make sure new plants are not engineered using similar thinking to those who made all the crappy cars of the '70s' and 80's. Things go wrong really fast when bean counters try to improve profits by cutting corners against the advice of the best technical experts.

I've become more aware of radiation pollution as I've learned of the messes here in Colorado. Its pretty scary when you look into it. They produced nuclear triggers at Rocky Flats, and made nerve gas a few miles away, both super fund cleanup sites. There is a block in downtown Denver that is buried to contain radiation pollution. Stanley lake has enough uranium pollution from Rocky Flats to kill everyone in Denver, but uranium is covered by a foot of silt, and deemed safe as a source for drinking water. The Ralston river that flows through Arvada was contaminated with uranium from a mountain mine. Radon is a problem everywhere here from natural sources.

I agree about climate change being the biggest problem of our time, but not sure nuclear is the answer. There are 500 nuke plants in the world now and knowing 50 are in places like India is pretty scary. It will take 20,000 years before chernobyl is safe. Hiding all that spent nuclear fuel for even longer seems unlikely to turn out well.

Geiger counters are expensive, but I've found a couple of alternatives. An old 1960s CDV-700 works well and cheap. There is a new affordable model called the GMC-320-Plus. I suspect radiation pollution is more common than we know. If I get a geiger counter, I'll test the CX-5.

Had a friend that worked at Rocky Flats (aka the bomb factory lol) and he said he would never go in the water @ Standley lake. I listen to him. :)

Everything is measurably radioactive. You, me, your car. Most of it is from naturally occurring isotopes of common elements that make up a percentage of a sample. There's an old cliche about bananas being more radioactive than (a great number of things), but its true because of the potassium in them.

If you hook a geiger counter up to a computer, point it up and record the count, you'll see quite a lot of them over a day as it just sits there. That's because cosmic rays strike the atmosphere and release various particles that shower down (which is what radiation actually is), or just zip right through until they hit something. You're pretty much bathed in this your entire life. More-so if you fly a lot.

There have been cases where shipments of steel have been abnormally radioactive because medical treatment devices that used cobalt-60 were melted down with the source still in them and then mixed in the rest. That's a big mess when it happens.

Last edited:
I agree about climate change being the biggest problem of our time, but not sure nuclear is the answer. There are 500 nuke plants in the world now and knowing 50 are in places like India is pretty scary. It will take 20,000 years before chernobyl is safe. Hiding all that spent nuclear fuel for even longer seems unlikely to turn out well.

I'm not trying to say that radiation isn't dangerous, certainly nuclear disasters are horrific. But there are new nuclear reactor technologies that can be run economically using the waste products from older reactors that we don't even know what to do with currently. And certainly reactors need to be engineered run with the utmost care using redundant safety features. Even then, with enough reactors in operation, there will be disasters but these will pale in comparison to what the world will look like if we continue to burn fossil fuels at the present rate.

I have never tested my CX-5 but for curiosity's sake I'll check it out this weekend.

soeks_defender_2.JPG

Nothing out of the ordinary and the same as background levels.

.09 microsieverts (Sv/h) per hour inside, outside and around the engine bay area of vehicle

Health-Risks-of-Radiation-1.1.jpg

Anyone have a Geiger Counter? Radioactive CX-5?

Nothing out of the ordinary and the same as background levels.
.09 microsieverts (Sv/h) per hour inside, outside and around the engine bay area of vehicle
So you have a Geiger Counter? That thing has to be expensive to own! Glad to find out the radiation level from our Hiroshima made CX-5 is in safe range.

This is no joke as I saw a news several months ago that a fish importer in Taiwan got caught due to high level of radiation using falsified origin certificate changed from Fukushima to somewhere else from Japan.

Seems all the stores are now selling fish from china/vietnam. A detector would be good for that alone. However, you would need one that detects alpha/beta/gamma and those start at $500 for a decent one like the "inspector" model. The beta/gamma testers start at $116. A highly contaminated fish with alpha would be picked up by a beta/gamma tester. That said, these won't detect pesticides, PCBs, and heavy metals, so I avoid asian fish entirely. Walmart has started selling chinese food spices branded "5 Seasons". It was initially labelled as chinese origin, but then label was changed. Also apple juice comes from china from many makers.

Last edited:
I think inbound ships to the US are at least spot checked for radiation as an anti-terror precaution...

Back to 1960's, we'd been warned by the scientists that the ice age is coming... (whistle)

Earth temperature is cyclic, that's why we had at least five major ice ages in the earth's past.

Ice ages cycle every 10,000 year. CO2 at 400ppm haven't been seen in 500,000 years.
We are like frogs in a pot of water over a fire. We don't notice the slow changes, until its too late.
Even the Pentagon has made plans to deal with global warming effects. The evidence is overwhelming now.
The question not if climate change is real, but how quickly will it occur. Its been happening 100 years already.

Here is a chart of sea rise since 1880s. The oceans have risen 7" in last hundred years due to global warming.

700px-recent_sea_level_rise.png

I see some people are parroting what they've read on climate denial websites rather than reading genuine climate science for themselves. Check the science out very closely. This is an incredibly important issue. It will cost a fortune if we don't act, and it will cost fortune if we act unwisely. You owe it to your children to learn about this so that you can be on the side of intelligent, cost effective action. Not denial, not resistance, and not over-reaction. Smart, cost-effective action is what's needed.

Ice ages cycle every 10,000 year. CO2 at 400ppm haven't been seen in 500,000 years.
We are like frogs in a pot of water over a fire. We don't notice the slow changes, until its too late.
Even the Pentagon has made plans to deal with global warming effects. The evidence is overwhelming now.
The question not if climate change is real, but how quickly will it occur. Its been happening 100 years already.

Here is a chart of sea rise since 1880s. The oceans have risen 7" in last hundred years due to global warming.

700px-recent_sea_level_rise.png

http://radioviceonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/knorr2009_co2_sequestration.pdf

And as to the Pentagon and their "plans"? Really? They have one for a Zombie Apocalypse, too.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...dead-chickens-space-invaders-VEGETARIANS.html

So you see? All this Global Warming BS is, is a political tool for leveraging and extorting corporations via taxes. The plebeian must be swayed one way or the other, a vote cast, and then the extortion/manipulation can occur.

The catastrophe is whatever it has to be, to get the vote, to twist the arm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back