Replacing a damaged tire

premio53

:
Mazda CX-5
I bought a 2015 Mazda CX-5 AWD and like it a lot. My question concerns replacing a damaged tire. Most of the time down through the years i would replace two tires at a time however, I have been reading that with AWD all four tires must be replaced at the same time because damage could be done to the differential. The manual suggests replacing all four but gives handling and safety as the reason. Nothing is said about the differential.

I know Subaru uses full time AWD while Mazda uses AWD only when needed (I think). Would a Mazda be damaged the same way a Subaru would be if the tires aren't exactly worn the same? I haven't had to replace a damaged tire but am now concerned if I had to the expense of replacing all four could be quite costly as opposed to replacing the one that was damaged. Thanks for any replies.

That's one of the expensive downsides of AWD. Opinions differ on how much difference in diameter is required before damage occurs but I would rather spend the money on tires than risk it.

I'd replace all four tires at the same time unfortunately it's part of maintenance cost we have to pay by owning an AWD. Tires with different outer diameters will cause the speed sensors for each wheel getting inconsistent speed readings which will cause incorrect ABS and front-to-rear power-transfer actions.

Thanks for the replies. I intend to replace all four at once though it seems odd to have to replace relatively new tires if one happens to get damaged but just as you say it is the cost of enjoying AWD.

Is it not possible for car manufacturers to install an on/off button for AWD so the differential wouldn't be a problem?

If the tires have a difference of greater than 2/23 tread depth then all 4 should be replaced for a true AWD vehicle. That equates to about the maximum recommended circumference difference for that dia tire. I would think that if a sudo 4WD like Mazda/ Honda and other then you could easly be OK with a 3/32 inch difference in tread depth so you could replace only two tires as long as they go on the front or rear. Ed

Is it not possible for car manufacturers to install an on/off button for AWD so the differential wouldn't be a problem?
You can only switch the AWD/4WD on or off on the old fashioned SUV or Jeeps. Since everything now controlled by computers on CUVs switching between front wheel drive and all wheel drive automatically, there is no on-off switch anymore.

Tire companies like tire rack will trim a replacement tire to the worn level of the existing tire(s).

You could have replacement tire shaved

I am short on details but I believe Costco offers up plan that helps mitigate cost replacement issue if you lose a tire on an AWD. I'll ask next time I go into Costco for details.

Would a Mazda be damaged the same way a Subaru would be if the tires aren't exactly worn the same?
It seems to me that there might be no damage to the driveline, but I can't be 100% sure:

1. As you said, the section in the manual discussing tire replacement says nothing about damaging the driveline. It does recommend replacing all 4 tires for safety and it recommends this for all configurations, i.e. also for FWD. As the manual is pretty verbose, I don't think they skipped mentioning this. I think it is not an issue.

2. The manual says to use tire chains on the front wheels. Clearly, if you use a tire chain, you introduce some inconsistency between the radius of the front wheels and the rear wheels.

3. Because the system sends some power to the back only occasionally and behaves as FWD most of the time, it is hard to see how stress can build in the system such that damage will occur. In fact, power is sent to the back when you make a sharp turn or start the vehicle from a stop. In these cases the wheels already don't spin at the same speed (because of the turn and/or because traction can be lost).

It seems to me that there might be no damage to the driveline, but I can't be 100% sure:

1. As you said, the section in the manual discussing tire replacement says nothing about damaging the driveline. It does recommend replacing all 4 tires for safety and it recommends this for all configurations, i.e. also for FWD. As the manual is pretty verbose, I don't think they skipped mentioning this. I think it is not an issue.

2. The manual says to use tire chains on the front wheels. Clearly, if you use a tire chain, you introduce some inconsistency between the radius of the front wheels and the rear wheels.

3. Because the system sends some power to the back only occasionally and behaves as FWD most of the time, it is hard to see how stress can build in the system such that damage will occur. In fact, power is sent to the back when you make a sharp turn or start the vehicle from a stop. In these cases the wheels already don't spin at the same speed (because of the turn and/or because traction can be lost).
Here is an article where just a different tread design caused the differential of a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica to explode. Pretty scary.
http://www.weareaccurateautomotive.com/blog-0/bid/128677/Tires-for-All-Wheel-drive-vehicle-Beware

The Owners Manual does warn of driveline damage with mismatched tires (from page 4-66 of online manual):

The condition of the tires play a large role in the performance of the vehicle. Moreover, to prevent adverse effects to the drive assembly, please note the following:

- When replacing tires, always replace all front and all rear tires at the same time.
- All tires must be of the same size, manufacture, brand and tread pattern. Pay particular attention when equipping snow or other types of winter tires.
- Do not mix tread worn tires with normal tires.
- Inspect tire inflation pressures at the specified periods and adjust to the specified pressures.

With AWD vehicles it is extremely important for the life of the drive components to keep the tires rotated and inflated to the same pressure (not within a couple of pounds of each other but the SAME pressure). You will also get better MPG by adjusting the pressures as closely as possible.

Last edited:
Shaving might be an option but Mitsubishi allows an on/off button to switch to two wheel drive. Why shouldn't Mazda? That option would allow someone to replace the one damaged tire instead of replacing all four tires that may have a good amount of miles left on them.

So have we had a tread depth on the original tires and location of the damage tire. 3/32 should be fine on this type of drive train. BTW I'd be happy to get the original Yokohama off the car anyway.

Back