Cargo Cover

Tango2014

:
2015 CX-5 Touring, FWD, Born: October 2014 Moon/BOSE
I've been debating on whether or not to get the cargo cover. I have seen positive and negative posts here. I'm trying to see what it looks like with the hatch closed. I've searched images all over the web and YouTube - but they all just show it open. I can't visualize it. Also, if you just want to put groceries in the back under the net...do you need to retract it, or just for large items? Thanks in advance for your help!

I bought one for my first CX-5 and then moved it over to CX-5 #2. I love it, and for the most part it is very unobtrusive.

The cargo cover attaches to your existing ears, or clips on the rear hatch. So that when the hatch raises, so does the cargo cover.

If you are going to be folding down the rear seats, and moving something large, the cargo cover might get in the way, so at that point you can unclip it from rear hatch, and allow the cargo cover to self retract. If then it is still in the way, the entire retracted cargo cover assembly can be easily pushed towards one side depressing the tension springs, and removed from its side wall holders. and then the cargo cover assembly can be stowed somewhere.

...just imagine it to be like the old spring loaded pull down window shades that unroll out.

Last edited:
What mazdadude said. A recommended option. Check online you may get it cheaper than at your local dealer. The only thing wrong with it is that it should have come with the GT as standard equipment, the Honda CRV includes a cargo cover with their high end models.

Last edited:
I thought it was implemented very well but with the privacy glass... I opted out. That $$ is going towards cargo options.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I've been debating on whether or not to get the cargo cover. I have seen positive and negative posts here. I'm trying to see what it looks like with the hatch closed. I've searched images all over the web and YouTube - but they all just show it open. I can't visualize it. Also, if you just want to put groceries in the back under the net...do you need to retract it, or just for large items? Thanks in advance for your help!
Negative posts? Actually Mazda cargo cover is the only OEM CX-5 accessory that I saw nothing but applauses. Other cargo covers from other CUVs are simply pull and clip to the side wall, but Mazda's clips to the liftgate. When the liftgate closes, the cover is flat and covers from the top edge of the rear seat back to the liftgate. You can put groceries in the back under the cover without retract the cover or do anything to the cover. Everything is automatic. Since the cover is attached to the liftgate, it opens up more space for loading when the liftgate is open and up. This is the major difference comparing to other cargo covers. And this is also why people like it. Like mazdadude said, it acts like the old spring-loaded pull down window shades without locking function.

The only thing wrong with it is that it should have come with the GT as standard equipment, the Honda CRV includes a cargo cover with their high end models.
CX-5's come with the cargo cover in almost every other regions other than North American market. Mazda North American Operations had decided to eliminated the cargo cover in the GT trim to save their cost.

I just received mine in the mail and it wasn't until I had installed it that I realized I had read about it months ago about it attaching to the liftgate which is ingenious! No need to cover and uncover it every time you open the trunk! Yes, this means it will get in the way if you fold the rear seats up and down often to load tall items in. When not in use, you can just unhook it off the lift gate. Not a big deal, but can be annoying if you're doing that on the regular.

I love mine. Even though I often carry large items they rarely require removal of the cargo cover.

I'm the only person I've seen post anything negative about it and that is simply that it didn't go on the Skyactiv diet program. It is a couple of pounds over-weight for what it is.

As someone who has been involved in a roll-over accident in a CX-5 I can tell you that anything that keeps the contents of your trunk from becoming projectiles is a must-have accessories...

As someone who has been involved in a roll-over accident in a CX-5 I can tell you that anything that keeps the contents of your trunk from becoming projectiles is a must-have accessories...

Agree that this is well worth the cost. I too have never seen anything negative about it.

I love mine. Even though I often carry large items they rarely require removal of the cargo cover.
I'm the only person I've seen post anything negative...

WELL!!...I was obviously thinking of something else. (braindead Upon further investigation.....this sounds like a no brainer! One of the highest satisfactory reviews I've seen on Amazon - at a much better price than directly from Mazda - + free shipping! Placing my order today! Thank you all! (2thumbs)

Attachments

• Cargo Cover.png
    Cargo Cover.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 241
  • Cargo Cover 2.png
    Cargo Cover 2.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 220
  • Cargo Cover 3.png
    Cargo Cover 3.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 196
You have to add this as an option? What if you don't, you just have the back seat then an open trunk? Never heard of a car being sold without some sort of cover to at least keep people eyes off what you have in your trunk.

You have to add this as an option? What if you don't, you just have the back seat then an open trunk? Never heard of a car being sold without some sort of cover to at least keep people eyes off what you have in your trunk.
The privacy glass takes care of this for the most part but the point about limiting projectiles is a very, very good one.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

My '14 came with the cover

One nice thing is if you have a slightly tall item it will stretch over it.

I like mine too.
However, the privacy glass makes it really hard to see what's inside even without the cover.
I wish the Mazda 3, which does not have privacy glass, had such a nice cover. Instead, it has this cardboard-like fixed cover. You can take it out, but your stuff will be visible to anyone.

We are quite happy to save $200 by finding our GT without the cargo cover. I have removed them from every SUV we have owned. They gather dust in the garage until I put it back in when I trade the car in. I find them annoying rattletraps that are always in the way. I have never had any concerns about 'prying eyes', especially with privacy glass. To each his own.

Back