SCBS saved me today

:
2016 CX-5 GT | FWD | Soul Red | Tech Package
Was waiting at a red light behind a Tahoe and an Escape this morning. The light turned green and we all started moving slowly. Almost immediately the Escape moved to left lane. At the same time, the Tahoe in front of the Escape (now directly in front of me) braked. The idiot's both brake lights were not working and I realized it a second or two late. By that time, my car was very close to his rear bumper. SCBS activated and stopped my CX-5.

I would've rear ended him today if not for SCBS.

Always wondered about the usefulness of SCBS because it's a slow-speed-only system. Today it proved its worth.

Just wanted to share this here.

I hope owners of SCBS get a small break on their insurance premiums!

I mean a direct break. But if it prevents YOU from having a fender-bender or two, I guess it's automatically keeping your insurance from going up.

Wow..Nice!

Was waiting at a red light behind a Tahoe and an Escape this morning. The light turned green and we all started moving slowly. Almost immediately the Escape moved to left lane. At the same time, the Tahoe in front of the Escape (now directly in front of me) braked. The idiot's both brake lights were not working and I realized it a second or two late. By that time, my car was very close to his rear bumper. SCBS activated and stopped my CX-5.

I would've rear ended him today if not for SCBS.

Always wondered about the usefulness of SCBS because it's a slow-speed-only system. Today it proved its worth.

Just wanted to share this here.

Really good to know it works!

I always wondered since there are quite a few "oopps" videos around the net of it failing. I would not like to "try " it out either LOL.

As for insurance, I have the AARP/Hartford, and they have not "caught up" to most of the new safety stuff yet, so no discounts as yet! I remember back in April I specifically asked about a discount for SCBS and other safety stuff in the CX-5. They had not even heard of SCBS! :(, but said they were working to catch up with all the newest innovations!

I hope owners of SCBS get a small break on their insurance premiums!

I mean a direct break. But if it prevents YOU from having a fender-bender or two, I guess it's automatically keeping your insurance from going up.

Very true. If not for SCBS, I would've filed an insurance claim today and my premiums would've gone up.

I'm happy the tech package paid for itself.

Insurance should be happy that I didn't file a claim and share some of those happiness dollars with me [emoji12]

Really good to know it works!

I always wondered since there are quite a few "oopps" videos around the net of it failing. I would not like to "try " it out either LOL.

As for insurance, I have the AARP/Hartford, and they have not "caught up" to most of the new safety stuff yet, so no discounts as yet! I remember back in April I specifically asked about a discount for SCBS and other safety stuff in the CX-5. They had not even heard of SCBS! :(, but said they were working to catch up with all the newest innovations!

We all should do this and ask insurance companies for a discount. Unless people start asking, they're going to charge us the same money and enjoy lesser number of claims.

SCBS, TPMS, Blind Spot monitoring, lane departure warning and rearview camera should all net a discount. I think they need enough data for the actuaries to compute the rate savings though, so it can take some time...

If I recall...

SCBS, TPMS, Blind Spot monitoring, lane departure warning and rearview camera should all net a discount. I think they need enough data for the actuaries to compute the rate savings though, so it can take some time...

I believe that I was able to get a discount for TPMS (minor discount) and anti-lock brakes, but the SCBS and BSM were way to new. I do not have lane departure on my 2015, but I agree, all should come into play, and should really affect overall safety. BSM is a real winner for me!!

Of course the anti-theft systems have been in play with Ins companies for quite a while now.

Glad it worked for you. your post has inspired me to ask my insurance agent if I would qualify for an additional discount based on this feature.

That's great that it worked and was able to protect you.

So glad you didn't get Hurt !!!!!

Interesting point about an Insurance Discount.

Once one Insurance company falls in line...

We all should do this and ask insurance companies for a discount. Unless people start asking, they're going to charge us the same money and enjoy lesser number of claims.

+1

They will all, pretty much fall into line with some sort of discount. Remember They are not your friend, or a like a good neighbor ..etc! (LOL) They all want to get away with the least expensive options that they can. It will become a competitive thing as discounts take hold. Interestingly, The Hartford has become pretty aggressive in securing and holding new business! They will take the time to go over what discounting IS available, and if need be update your account, if asked or when insuring a new vehicle. THEY ARE PARTICULARLY SENSITIVE ON ACCOUNT RETENTION!!

Back