Options from across the pond?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
So I was reading a review the other day about the CX-5 and it from a source in the UK. Looking at the pictures it appears they have a few little extra features that we in the states do not. I noticed what appeared to be one touch up and down window switches for all the windows as well as a memory seat button for the driver. They also get a power passenger seat. My question is why? Why does mazda have different little options like that for different markets? I can understand the different engines (petrol vs diesel) being an issue due to regulations and fuel quality and such but what gives with the little things?

Also would any of those options be able to be retro fitted in the CX-5? I noticed when I was at the dealer that the window switches in the 6 appear to be the same as the CX-5 but with one touch up and down, could it just be a simple plug and play swap? I know the 6 has memory seats as well, how hard would it be to get that module to work for the CX-5?

So I was reading a review the other day about the CX-5 and it from a source in the UK. Looking at the pictures it appears they have a few little extra features that we in the states do not. I noticed what appeared to be one touch up and down window switches for all the windows as well as a memory seat button for the driver. They also get a power passenger seat. My question is why? Why does mazda have different little options like that for different markets? I can understand the different engines (petrol vs diesel) being an issue due to regulations and fuel quality and such but what gives with the little things?

Also would any of those options be able to be retro fitted in the CX-5? I noticed when I was at the dealer that the window switches in the 6 appear to be the same as the CX-5 but with one touch up and down, could it just be a simple plug and play swap? I know the 6 has memory seats as well, how hard would it be to get that module to work for the CX-5?
I totally agree with you and I was disappointed on this too. I believe this is all cost issue and Mazda North American Operations simply chose not to equip memory seat, one touch up and down power windows, power passenger seat, and power folding outside rearview mirrors for the North America market to keep up their profit margin. In Europe and Asia cars are more expensive hence you can't compete with lesser equipped cars as everybody else has all of these features. I guess MNAO feels Americans are not that picky and they don't mind to have lesser features although every competing CUV's in the US do have memory seat and power passenger seat!

Memory seat, one touch up and down power windows, power passenger seat, and power folding outside rearview mirrors will be hard to add to our CX-5, not to mention it's expensive getting the parts needed. You may even need to buy plane ticket to get the parts. The only easy retro-fit for non-US spec item is the rear seat headrests. It's plug-and-play and it's truly useful and improves the rear view dramatically.

The car costs more too, so it comes with more upscale features

Yes. Cars in Australasia do cost more than the US. The top spec Japanese brands often compete with entry level premium brands. Also due to lower volume and logistics, Japanese cars tend to have only 3 spec level (Entry, Mid and High Spec) with little or no other options. For instance, the High Spec Australasia CX5 is basically a US Grand Touring + Tech + All the options ticked.

Last edited:
You're right. In the UK my fully loaded CX-5 is akin to the US Grand Touring but cost the equivalent of $40,000 including taxes. Having said that there are a number of extras that we get as standard but not really enough to justify the price difference.

Memory seat, one touch up and down power windows, power passenger seat, and power folding outside rearview mirrors will be hard to add to our CX-5

do you know for sure they will be hard to add? I'm wondering if it can be a simple plug and play affair. Would the auto windows be as simple as just getting a Mazda6 window control panel and plugging it in? I'm hoping so, that the function is controlled by the switch and it doesn't require different motors. I could be wrong in that. I guess I'll wait a bit and see if I can find some Mazda6 parts once they start showing up on ebay.

Same thing with the memory seats. I wonder if there is a control module that can be plugged in line with what the CX-5 or does that require different motors as well. I could care less about the folding mirrors, I'd rarely use that unless they did it automatically.

I know on my protege5, to get intermittent wipers all you had to do was swap over the wiper stalk from a Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape and you'd have intermittent wipers that worked. I'm hoping for similar luck with the CX-5. Not to mention I'd love to do the paddle shift conversion some day.

This is not necessary true. Honda CR-V, the best selling CUV in the US, and all competing compact CUV's have memory seat and even rear AC vents available in the US market. Their prices are similar to CX-5. This is purely the taste of selections by Mazda towards North America market. Mazda can always group these "more upscale features" as a luxury/convenient package, like many European luxury brands do, for extra money.

What I would love to have as well is headlight washer, it's mandatory in Europe. I mean if your windshield is dirty enough that its need to be wash to see, the headlight would be just as cover so why not have this. I think it's a good safety feature. Mazda could easily have these feature as option and charge for it if someone would want them or group them in.

Surprisingly even in NA market the US get different option that we Canadian don't get like Tech package with the Touring model even with FWD and now with the new 2015/2016 the touring in the US can have smart key entry. If I want the tech or smart key I have to get the GT in Canada, Mazda Canada do have a new luxury package for the touring model but still no smart key. Not sure how Mazda marketing is working out who want what.

Memory seat, one touch up and down power windows, power passenger seat, and power folding outside rearview mirrors will be hard to add to our CX-5
do you know for sure they will be hard to add? I'm wondering if it can be a simple plug and play affair.
I read a guy who modified his Mazda3 with power folding outside rearview mirrors with parts from Japan, China and USA which was very messy. Lots of wire laying and relocating which is what I suspected. If you want the mirror folding/unfolding automatically when you lock/unlock the car instead of turning the switch each time you need it, you need another electrical in-line module to do it!

If you're trying to modify our power windows with auto-up/down for all windows, you definitely need three new 2-stage switches, and some electrical module which can control the motor running with one shot or on-demand. There is safety issue too for one-touch auto-up/down power window. Many manufactures introduce the anti-pitch feature preventing your finger got stuck and hurt. This requires some load sensor to do it which may mean you need a new motor. The moonroof has the same issue hence Mazda chose an easy way out by not providing one-touch auto-open/close feature.

Memory seat may even more complicated as it does need modifying the software in control module so that the on-board computer can memorize the positions of seat, outside rearview mirrors, and even the headrest, steering wheel, and seatbelt height. This also introduces the need of a step-motor which can turn to a specific position requested. Not to mention that you need a new memory seat switch and different seat side panel for it.

Intermittent wipers are different as I remember VW did the same thing. The module was there but they put a stopper there so that you couldn't go to that position. But try to modify intermittent wipers to rain-sensing wipers by ourselves and you'll find that would be almost an impossible task.

Cost!

I am just test drove a new model, top of the range, but not all options ticked, cost 45'000 usd after getting a 3000 discount.

Memory seat was great, has 2 memories. I test drove the only manual 175 ps diesel in Switzerland that has a sunroof. Just got to persuade the garage to sell it to me now. Don't ask! Buying cars here is different from the UK and the U.S. They won't sell it to me until another model close enough to that spec is in the show room again and the salesman wasn't sure what cars had been ordered.

Cost!

I am just test drove a new model, top of the range, but not all options ticked, cost 45'000 usd after getting a 3000 discount.

Memory seat was great, has 2 memories. I test drove the only manual 175 ps diesel in Switzerland that has a sunroof. Just got to persuade the garage to sell it to me now. Don't ask! Buying cars here is different from the UK and the U.S. They won't sell it to me until another model close enough to that spec is in the show room again and the salesman wasn't sure what cars had been ordered.
Car prices is cheaper in the US mainly is because the import duty and taxes are a lot lower. Many countries has 50% or even 100% duty on new cars imported; and taxes are based on displacement which is very high too. Besides, Honda CR-V and all other competing compact CUV's have memory seat and even rear AC vents available in the US market. Their prices are similar to CX-5's. That' why I believe this is purely the taste of selections by Mazda towards North America market to keep up the profit margin.

Actually memory seat on CX-5 is not so great as it only memorizes the seat position. Others also memorize at least outside rearview mirrors' position. Some even save the positions of headrest, steering wheel, seatbelt height with 3 memory settings!

Driving a 175 ps SykActiv-D 2.2L diesel CX-5 with a manual shift must be very fun. Especially the feeling of the low-end torque, 42.8 kg-m / 310 lb-ft @ 2,000 rpm must be something!

Car prices is cheaper in the US mainly is because the import duty and taxes are a lot lower. Many countries has 50% or even 100% duty on new cars imported; and taxes are based on displacement which is very high too. Besides, Honda CR-V and all other competing compact CUV's have memory seat and even rear AC vents available in the US market. Their prices are similar to CX-5's. That' why I believe this is purely the taste of selections by Mazda towards North America market to keep up the profit margin.

Actually memory seat on CX-5 is not so great as it only memorizes the seat position. Others also memorize at least outside rearview mirrors' position. Some even save the positions of headrest, steering wheel, seatbelt height with 3 memory settings!

Driving a 175 ps SykActiv-D 2.2L diesel CX-5 with a manual shift must be very fun. Especially the feeling of the low-end torque, 42.8 kg-m / 310 lb-ft @ 2,000 rpm must be something!

I went to the garage to try a 2.5, he gave me the keys and off I went. Smooth twisty roads with some nice straights, typical Swiss style, well, I went about 500 yards and thought about just turning around and going back to the dealership. I don't want to sound like an A-hole, I know this model is well liked elsewhere, but when you drive at 30mph, the car is in a certain gear (also couldn't find an indicator showing which gear it was in, just a D), so at 30mph the road climbs ever so slightly, speed drops to maybe 28, press the gas slightly, nothing happens, press a little more, kicks down a gear to speed up 2mph! Same problem in corners, every single switch back you slow for, the car drops down to maybe 3rd or 4th, a little gas mid corner to hold the speed, as the corner open give some more gas and the box kicks down. I couldn't live with the continual hunting for some torque. Sport mode was nuts, revving so high, even when cruising?? I did stick it sport and do a 0-60mph, sure above 4000rpm its pretty sweet, but that counts for nothing apart from youtube vids and stats. I think we are very spoiled with the diesel, it really is a very special engine with min lag and excellent refinment, I would even say the petrol is noiser as to drive in a similar style to the diesel you need to work the engine in it's more vocal rpm's.

Totally impressed by the leather interior, what a difference from the lower model! The 2.5l was in black, didn't like the CX5 in black, each to their own though.

The salemans is on holiday tomorrow, but if I want the 175ps model I test drove at the end, I need to call and reserve it and he will call me back on Monday after speaking to the boss. I might need to wait 3 months for a new model to be delivered..I will wait though.

Here she's here --->>> (cabpatch) http://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/mazda-cx-5-suv--gelaendewagen-2015-neu?allmakes=1&bodycol=59&fuel=15&hpfrom=170&index=3&make=50%2c0%2c0&model=1765%2c0%2c0&returnurl=%2fde%2fautos%2fmazda--cx-5%3fallmakes%3d1%26bodycol%3d59%26fuel%3d15%26hpfrom%3d170%26make%3d50%2c0%2c0%26model%3d1765%2c0%2c0%26st%3d2%26vehtyp%3d10%26r%3d5&st=2&vehid=3121849&vehtyp=10

The Top Spec Australasia 2.2 Diesel CX-5 (believe same as European spec) which comes with all options ticked and loaded by default is indeed a very nice car. Quite a few reviews have compared it to the Audi Q3 and rated them as on par but the CX-5 costs a lot less. This is where the smart money will go if you are not a brand snob.

I went to the garage to try a 2.5, ...
but if I want the 175ps model I test drove at the end,
I'd want an SA-D 2.2L diesel CX-5 with big low-end tongue and 6-speed manual too if we can ever get it here in the US. Hope Mazda has resolved the issues on its SA-D diesel engines.

Last edited:
I'd want an SA-D 2.2L diesel CX-5 with big low-end tongue and 6-speed manual too if we can every get it here in the US. Hope Mazda has resolved the issues on its SA-D diesel engines.

I was told by my dealer that the issues with SA-D 2.2 Diesel have been resolved with the Facelift CX-5 model. However, diesel is really not suitable for driving on very short trips day in and day out as the particulate filter needs a decent run to re-generate itself. Short run being 1 -2 Km per trip.

Perhaps this is the reason that Mazda is not bringing the Diesel to the US.

This is not necessary true. Honda CR-V, the best selling CUV in the US, and all competing compact CUV's have memory seat and even rear AC vents available in the US market. Their prices are similar to CX-5. This is purely the taste of selections by Mazda towards North America market. Mazda can always group these "more upscale features" as a luxury/convenient package, like many European luxury brands do, for extra money.

Extra money that will price them into lexus territory. regenerative braking, power folding mirror, i stop, folding mirros, diesel motor and a lot more. thing avaialble since the car came out in 2012 and it took us 2 years to get smart city brake for example

I was told by my dealer that the issues with SA-D 2.2 Diesel have been resolved with the Facelift CX-5 model. However, diesel is really not suitable for driving on very short trips day in and day out as the particulate filter needs a decent run to re-generate itself. Short run being 1 -2 Km per trip.

Perhaps this is the reason that Mazda is not bringing the Diesel to the US.
Frequent short trip should not be a big issue in the big land of US as people are driving more miles per trip than most other countries. Right now I'm in Taipei which is a very small city and people are making very short trip frequently. The CX-5's available here are SA-G 165ps 2.0L FWD, SA-D 175ps 2.2L FWD, and SA-D 175ps 2.2L AWD which is the top of the line! I stopped by at a Mazda dealer and the salesman told me they sell mainly SA-D diesel models as diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline here with better MPG (33.4 / 41.87 / 35.75 MPG for SA-G FWD / SA-D FWD / SA-D AWD). According to him, there is no more issues on recent diesel's. I'm not sure how Mazda fixed the DPF system but premature failure on cam should be easy to fix. Like Dr_Watson said, SA-D 2.2L CX-5 with 175 ps / 173 hp and 42.8 kg-m / 310 lb-ft @ 2,000 rpm simply makes SA-G 2.5L with 184 hp and 185 lb-ft @ 3,250 rpm felt very sluggish!

Yeah, top of the line SA-D 2.2L AWD costs NT$1,300,000 which is equivalent to $42,000 USD, but that includes import duty plus other taxes based on engine displacement which is more than 50% of the FOB price!

Last edited:
Extra money that will price them into lexus territory. regenerative braking, power folding mirror, i stop, folding mirros, diesel motor and a lot more. thing avaialble since the car came out in 2012 and it took us 2 years to get smart city brake for example
Mazda doesn't have a luxury brand and its price structure should be in wide range. While I appreciate Mazda makes rain sensing wipers, LED lightings with AFS available on CX-5 which are not available on competing Honda CR-V, Toyota RV4, and Nissan Rogue, but memory seat, rear AC vents do available on other CUV's. I was a little disappointed that CX-5 doesn't have these features that many competitors in the similar price range are having. I'm comparing apple to apple here.

Mazda doesn't have a luxury brand and its price structure should be in wide range. While I appreciate Mazda makes rain sensing wipers, LED lightings with AFS available on CX-5 which are not available on competing Honda CR-V, Toyota RV4, and Nissan Rogue, but memory seat, rear AC vents do available on other CUV's. I was a little disappointed that CX-5 doesn't have these features that many competitors in the similar price range are having. I'm comparing apple to apple here.

I'm surprised and disappointed that these competitors (CR-V, Rogue) don't have critical features like a true manual mode, car-level handling, and easy to use interface with the infotainment system like the commander system. Why did they cheap out in these areas ?!?!

I'm surprised and disappointed that these competitors (CR-V, Rogue) don't have critical features like a true manual mode, car-level handling, and easy to use interface with the infotainment system like the commander system. Why did they cheap out in these areas ?!?!
Mazda's competitors didn't cheap out on these features IMHO. These are the choice of marketing or they aren't capable of doing it. In the sense the competitors are correct from marketing point of view as Honda CR-V、Ford Escape、Toyota RAV4、Nissan Rogue are the top four best-selling compact CUV's in the US. Mazda CX-5 is way behind.

Back