Text Messaging for iphone 6 on 2016 CX5

Yes,it will "read" the text to you. You have to go into "settings " on the iPhone---> Bluetooth--->Mazda. Next to Mazda, click the "I", then turn on "show notifications ".

...sent...

Yep, I can verify that it works with my iPhone 6. If you are moving, it won't display the text, instead it reads it aloud to you.

Pull over and get your phone out?

I can't think of a way one can text and drive, even if you're dictating your text message, without being distracted to the point that you're a hazard on the road.

Many new cars are enabling Siri right from the steering wheel, but I don't believe Mazda has not incorporated this feature into their 2016 models yet. When I took my BMW in for an oil change I was given a brand new loaner with this feature. I could have the car read the text and voice reply using this feature.

This is where I am confused. As you mention the instructions start on page 5-103 of the manual but it does not seem to work as described in the manual. The screen in the car as well as the manual show a reply arrow. However that is always greyed out even when I am stopped. In addition, the call the sender icon is always greyed out. So how do I reply or call the sender? I have an iPhone 6s.

Lots of other questions about the system too:

1) it won't download any texts already on my phone. It will only show/read a text that comes in when I am in the car and the car is running and as soon as I shut the car off, the message goes away and cannot be viewed or read again later from the infotainment system. When I choose the "update" selection nothing happens.
2) the manual shows receiving emails as well... but that does not even appear on the menus of my 2016 CX 5

Does Mazda simply print one manual for all it cars and slap on a cover specific to your model even though many of the features described may not be available on your car?

Last edited:
I avoid all this and just call Siri to read my text and respond through blue tooth. It just gets rid of the middleman. I have my phone mounted on the dash so it's not too distracting to push and hold the home button. Or I could turn on "Hey Siri" but I find that holding the home button is faster.

This is where I am confused. As you mention the instructions start on page 5-103 of the manual but it does not seem to work as described in the manual. The screen in the car as well as the manual show a reply arrow. However that is always greyed out even when I am stopped. In addition, the call the sender icon is always greyed out. So how do I reply or call the sender? I have an iPhone 6s.

1) it won't download any texts already on my phone. It will only show/read a text that comes in when I am in the car and the car is running and as soon as I shut the car off, the message goes away and cannot be viewed or read again later from the infotainment system. When I choose the "update" selection nothing happens.
2) the manual shows receiving emails as well... but that does not even appear on the menus of my 2016 CX 5

Does Mazda simply print one manual for all it cars and slap on a cover specific to your model even though many of the features described may not be available on your car?

Wow, That's EXACTLY the way my Iphone 6S and 2016 CX-5 work. Only get texts when car is running and they go away when car shuts off. A guess that's the way its supposed to work , sort of a useless feature

Wow, That's EXACTLY the way my Iphone 6S and 2016 CX-5 work. Only get texts when car is running and they go away when car shuts off. A guess that's the way its supposed to work , sort of a useless feature

Why would you want all your phone txt msgs in the car system when they are already on your mobile?
Frankly if it is that important, pull over and use the phone then instead of being one of those unpredictable distracted drivers.

Yes,it will "read" the text to you. You have to go into "settings " on the iPhone---> Bluetooth--->Mazda. Next to Mazda, click the "I", then turn on "show notifications ".

...sent...

mine is not working at all.

is there any update? I got my '16 last January, so I am thinking it should be updated already

I work for Mazda and have a lot of people that always ask how to activate the text message feature thats typically greyed out in the Mazda infotainment system when pairing a iphone.
Androids will connect the text message feature automatically as no additional steps are needed once paired. As Srad600 mentions:
You have to go into "settings " on the iPhone---> Bluetooth--->Mazda. Next to Mazda, click the "I", then turn on "show notifications ".
This is correct. BUT, one last step is important. You must turn off your iphone and turn it back on. Once it re-boots, your text message feature will now display and function.
It will not, pull the entire text log from your phone. It will pull and read taxt as you get them. Once you arrive at your destination, simply go through your phone to retrieve older texts.

i am experiencing this not working consistently.... In other words if I'm sitting in my driveway with the car on and I receive a text message it shows up on my screen.... But then subsequent text messages do not.... They show up on my phone but not on the infotainment screen.... Have you ever experienced this?

i am experiencing this not working consistently.... In other words if I'm sitting in my driveway with the car on and I receive a text message it shows up on my screen.... But then subsequent text messages do not.... They show up on my phone but not on the infotainment screen.... Have you ever experienced this?

You need the delete and reset up your connection. On my 2014, with an iPhone 6s, this and several other issues exist.

You have to go into "settings " on the iPhone---> Bluetooth--->Mazda. Next to Mazda, click the "I", then turn on "show notifications "

This ^^^ I had my BT Module updated on my 2014 last month and the dealership service guy gave me the 'Mazda says it wont work with iPhone' line, but he neglected to enable the 'show notifications' setting in the phone .

When the car is moving, it always shows me notification but will not display the text. It will read it to you, however.

iOS itself will not support text reply from the infotainment, not just in Mazda. GM and Ford are the same way, from what I know.

In the communications section of the infotainment it shows and allows you to edit pre selected responses from a list yet when ever I get a text I never have an option to select any of these messages for response. Am I missing something

I had wondered for 6 months why I couldn't get my text messages to show up on my 2016 Touring screen; thanks for the simple tip of turning on "show notifications". It worked!

Back