2016 CX-5 At 1500 Miles

moontom

:
Mazda CX 5
Just a short "review" of the CX 5 in its early days......in case prospective buyers are curious.

I have the GT w/ Tech package and (as documented in a thread in the Running Gear forum) I swapped the 19" wheels for 17s and put on Goodyear Comfortred Touring tires on, in hopes of smoothing out the ride a bit. (We live in NJ, land of endless potholes....)

in the last year, for a variety of boring reasons, I've spent time in the Jeep Cherokee Limited (horrid, esp if you expect a transmission to respond basic forward/reverse commands!) and Honda CR-V. was about to buy a CRV for my daily driver, as the new version of it is a very tight solid car. on a whim I went to Mazda to look at the 2016 -- I'd driven the 2014 CX and didn't love. this one is a different beast in every way.

it's quieter and the interior has been very thoughtfully updated. didn't like the Nav and info interface before -- this one is very straightforward and easy to use while driving. excellent in full sunlight.
the road noise improved w/ the goodyears but there is still wind noise, I think coming from the side mirrors. the audio system is good not great -- Bose centerpoint thing does seem to offer a surround-like experience.
driver view of the road is tremendous, the seats are way more comfortable than those in the Honda. front of cabin feels spacious.
it handles/corners brilliantly, even with the less sporty wheel/tire config. I completely trust the brakes and have already gotten spoiled by the steering feel -- nothing else in small SUV category responds like this vehicle. unlike the Toyota and the Honda, Sport mode offers a true change in driving dynamic.
the engine is not super-quick but it does go when asked. I notice a slight vibration under acceleration right at 60 mph -- I plan to ask dealer about it but it doesn't appear all the time and goes away after an increase in 5 mph or so. actually like the engine note. wish there was a full-time gauge for temperature; I don't like the blue icon for cold engine (luckily haven't seen the red one for hot engine yet!)
safety stuff is great but not too much of a babysitter...actually like the Rear cross traffic alert and the blindspot monitor is where it should be -- in the mirror, not on the info screen. I didn't get the I-Assist package.
pleasantly surprised by the depth of the cargo area and the cargo cover design is really smart. I keep it pulled over to hide contents all the time.

overall, I am tremendously impressed by the design and execution. I am not one of those who needs all the tech in a car (was looking for a nice mostly analog vehicle and think the Scion xB might be the last one out there) but have to admit that Mazda has integrated the tech very nicely here. it's a joy to drive and I can only hope it's a joy to own in terms of reliability as well.

Just a short "review" of the CX 5 in its early days......in case prospective buyers are curious.

I have the GT w/ Tech package and (as documented in a thread in the Running Gear forum) I swapped the 19" wheels for 17s and put on Goodyear Comfortred Touring tires on, in hopes of smoothing out the ride a bit. (We live in NJ, land of endless potholes....)

in the last year, for a variety of boring reasons, I've spent time in the Jeep Cherokee Limited (horrid, esp if you expect a transmission to respond basic forward/reverse commands!) and Honda CR-V. was about to buy a CRV for my daily driver, as the new version of it is a very tight solid car. on a whim I went to Mazda to look at the 2016 -- I'd driven the 2014 CX and didn't love. this one is a different beast in every way.

it's quieter and the interior has been very thoughtfully updated. didn't like the Nav and info interface before -- this one is very straightforward and easy to use while driving. excellent in full sunlight.
the road noise improved w/ the goodyears but there is still wind noise, I think coming from the side mirrors. the audio system is good not great -- Bose centerpoint thing does seem to offer a surround-like experience.
driver view of the road is tremendous, the seats are way more comfortable than those in the Honda. front of cabin feels spacious.
it handles/corners brilliantly, even with the less sporty wheel/tire config. I completely trust the brakes and have already gotten spoiled by the steering feel -- nothing else in small SUV category responds like this vehicle. unlike the Toyota and the Honda, Sport mode offers a true change in driving dynamic.
the engine is not super-quick but it does go when asked. I notice a slight vibration under acceleration right at 60 mph -- I plan to ask dealer about it but it doesn't appear all the time and goes away after an increase in 5 mph or so. actually like the engine note. wish there was a full-time gauge for temperature; I don't like the blue icon for cold engine (luckily haven't seen the red one for hot engine yet!)
safety stuff is great but not too much of a babysitter...actually like the Rear cross traffic alert and the blindspot monitor is where it should be -- in the mirror, not on the info screen. I didn't get the I-Assist package.
pleasantly surprised by the depth of the cargo area and the cargo cover design is really smart. I keep it pulled over to hide contents all the time.

overall, I am tremendously impressed by the design and execution. I am not one of those who needs all the tech in a car (was looking for a nice mostly analog vehicle and think the Scion xB might be the last one out there) but have to admit that Mazda has integrated the tech very nicely here. it's a joy to drive and I can only hope it's a joy to own in terms of reliability as well.

Howdy Moontom,

Thanks so much for the review and your thoughts. I had to laugh about the part of the Scion xB,
as I'd looked at those for years and years and would have probably gotten one if they hadn't
changed the design and weight which really knocked down the Gas Mileage.

Can't wait till it's my turn hopefully the middle of June/ early July.

Thanks Again, !!!! Take Care,

CK

i love my CX-5 as well (also in NJ) but i would say the "Sport" mode is pretty useless. all it does it hold onto revs and increase engine noise with no performance advantage. then again, the CX-5, but compact CUV standards is already in "sport-mode" compared to the competition. ;) See you on the Jersey turnpikes!

Im New Jersey driver as well. I love every minute spend in my GT AWD 2016. I was just to buy crv2015 but found out this annoying vibration. I feel sorry for those who bought that crappy lemon.
I actually like those 19 inches wheels. They give a car sport character.
Is it noticeable comfort difference driving with 17's?
sorry for my English

@TommyW: the new tires help w/ road noise a bit, that's perhaps the biggest plus. I found a slight but appreciable difference in terms of how the CX5 responds to the road -- it's lighter and more nimble w/ the 19s, more planted w/ the 17s. I like the more planted feel.

i love my CX-5 as well (also in NJ) but i would say the "Sport" mode is pretty useless. all it does it hold onto revs and increase engine noise with no performance advantage. then again, the CX-5, but compact CUV standards is already in "sport-mode" compared to the competition. ;) See you on the Jersey turnpikes!

In my hilly city of San Francisco sport mode serves a useful function.

Shift into manual and use a lower gear. I do this all the time when trailering snd descending a steep or long hill.

Back