Dimensions for the Factory OEM Roof Rack

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech & i-Activesense
Could someone please post up the dimensions of the factory OEM roof rack? I've included a picture of what I'm looking for (the blue lines). This will help me determine if the bike carriers I currently have will fit with out problem on top of the factory rack. I also think it would be useful information for anyone else looking at bike, ski, cargo carriers for the top of their CX-5's. I am leaning towards going with the factory side rails and cross bars since I like the look of OEM over any aftermarket system. If I my bike carriers won't fit up there the way I want I will be looking at after market roof racks. I know how to search and there are plenty of other threads about what roof rack people like for different things so please keep the opinions on what rack is "best" to your self. I only want the dimensions of the factory rack at this time. Thanks

attachment.php

And yes I know I asked this another thread but thought it might be better to have it's own thread for ease of searching if anyone else looks for the same info.

I've taken some of these measurements for another member here, so I can relay them here.

The distance across the crossbars of just the bar itself, not including the end pieces:
Front: 28.5"
Rear: 27"

For reference the total "flat" width of the cross bar including the end pieces before they angle downwards:
Front: 36"
Rear: 34"

The approximate maximum distance between the front and rear crossbars:
Distance between crossbars: ~30"

I haven't measured the distance between the rear cross bar and the rear of the car, but in the thread below, you can get an idea of how my bike carrier works with the rear hatch.

My guess is that like you, I have a set of bike carriers with universal mounts that I used on my P5 with a factory roof rack. I wanted to use the same bike carriers on the cx5 and they transferred over just fine. Here is a thread that I posted a while ago about this.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...Installed-on-CX5-Factory-Roof-Rack&highlight=

However, after using this set up for awhile, climbing up and down the CX5 to load and unload the bike became more hassle than it's worth. I had an occasion or two where my foot slipped on the door sill while loading/unloading the bike and fell, banging up my knee or almost rolling my ankle. The extra height makes it quite a bit harder compared to the P5.

I have since invested in a Curt 2" tow hitch and a hitch mounted bike rack and never looked back. It's just SOO much easier to load the bikes. I still kept the factory roof rack for any future use of the bike carriers again, ski racks, kayak or roof cargo box.

Kayak on roof with J-style rack.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-J-Style-rack-on-factory-roof-rack&highlight=

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, it helps. I actually had to cut my bike carriers (Yakima forklifts) shorter to fit on my p5 forward facing and still be able to fully open the hatch. I am hoping for a similar situation with the cx-5. The rack seems to be wide enough to put two bikes up there side by side so that's good. I now just need the measurement from the front bar to the rear hatch when open and I'll have all the info I need. so if anyone could get me the front bar to hatch open measurement I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
Just went out to take the measurement. The minimum distance between the leading edge of the front crossbar to the spoiler when the hatch is open is: 45" The dimension grows slightly as you increase in height because the spoiler isn't completely vertical.

There is definitely enough room for 2 bikes to fit side by side on top. This was before I got my tow hitch.
IMG_20131006_105928_619_zps777ff61d.jpg

Thank you for getting that for me. That is not very far at all, even less then what my protege5 has! I would have thought, that since the cx-5 is almost 10" longer, the bike racks would fit with out a problem. Looks like I'll either have to get a hitch rack, mount them backwards or find a full aftermarket roof rack that can be mounted more towards the front.

Back