2015 Mirror Shake?

I have a 2015 CX-5 and the driver's side mirror shakes a ton when driving at highway speeds. The passenger side mirror is completely fine. I know there was a TSB for the 2013 MY.

Is anyone ese experiencing the same thing with their 2015? I would have thought Mazda would have taken care of this with the older models.

Yup, mine does too, just haven't decided if it's bad enough to justify letting their techy tear my door apart to get to my mirror mechanics?!?!?!? What are the chances they're going to screw something up worse while they're in there??

Yup, mine does too, just haven't decided if it's bad enough to justify letting their techy tear my door apart to get to my mirror mechanics?!?!?!? What are the chances they're going to screw something up worse while they're in there??
Totally agree!!! Each time I bring our cars to any dealers for warranty services, the tech screws something up 100% of the time!

4/2014 and later '15 models have the new style mirrors. I assume your build date is before that?

4/2014 and later '15 models have the new style mirrors. I assume your build date is before that?

Mine was bult in 03/2014....is the problem with that specific mirror design? I knw the 2016 Mazda 6 shares the same mirror. I thought the issue had to do with the miror internals.

Talked to the dealer today. There is a new/revised TSB that covers the 2015 models. It calls for installing a whole new mirror assembly on the driver's side. The bad news is the parts manager says there are no parts in North America. I will update once its fixed.

My dealer is doing the same fix on a 2014 cx-5 for me. It has old style mirror's & they are replacing with new style that appear on the later 2015 models. Concerning parts, I think the new mirror assembly just arrived in PA. That where mine is coming from.

My dealer is doing the same fix on a 2014 cx-5 for me. It has old style mirror's & they are replacing with new style that appear on the later 2015 models. Concerning parts, I think the new mirror assembly just arrived in PA. That where mine is coming from.

I do not believe I am receiving the new teardrop style mirrors. I could be wrong, but I was left with the impression that I would be receiving the exact same design, just updated to fix the shake. I do not believe they are doing anything to the passenger side mirror, but I will verify.

IMO.. if you can get the 4/14+ mirrors installed you won't experience any vibration. I have never experienced any vibration issues on mine with newer design.

my cx-5 build date is 03/2014. it has the old style mirrors and there is vibration in the driver side at high speeds on the freeway. does anyone know if they fix the driver's side mirror with the new model mirrors, will they change the passenger side too?

For Canadian models, they have revised the "older" style mirror (non tear drop). They have ordered a whole new mirror that is revised, but it's not the newer style.

The 2016 Mazda 6 still shares this older style, so it's not a mirror Mazda has completely phased out - at least not yet.

I will update once mine is fixed.

Just got a new 2016 CX-5 and both of my mirrors shake like crazy, i am so pissed off that when i test drove the car did not catch this, or maybe because i was test driving around the dealer on roads with low speed limit that this did not happen, but once i went on the highway man what a shake.

Hope they can fix this problem

Talked to the dealer today. There is a new/revised TSB that covers the 2015 models. It calls for installing a whole new mirror assembly on the driver's side. The bad news is the parts manager says there are no parts in North America. I will update once its fixed.

I had vehicle in last week to have the new revised mirror installed. Basically, Mazda sent the black mirror housing only (with new internals and wire harness). The dealer transferred the outer bezel and mirror glass. The new housing looks to be filled with an epoxy...maybe used to stiffen the mirror? It looked like they just gobbed it inside a small section of the housing.

HE PROBLEM HAS NOT BE RESOLVED. Even with the modified mirror, it still shakes as bad as it did with the original mirror. The dealer put in a ticket to Mazda, so we will see what happens. It looks like some Mazda dealers are simply replacing both mirrors with the new tear drop style (4/2014 2015 MY and 2016 MY).

Just got a new 2016 CX-5 and both of my mirrors shake like crazy, i am so pissed off that when i test drove the car did not catch this, or maybe because i was test driving around the dealer on roads with low speed limit that this did not happen, but once i went on the highway man what a shake.

Hope they can fix this problem

I took my vehicle back to the dealer and they finally ordered the 2016 style mirrors for both sides. The problem is not fixed. Although the mirrors vibrate less than the original mirrors did, there is still a very noticeable vibration/shake on the driver's side mirror while driving 65-70mph. I'm not sure if the issue is with the mirror itself or the lack of structural support in the doors (the body panels are super thin).

I do not believe Mazda will ever have a fix for this - its something I will have to learn to live with.

I took my vehicle back to the dealer and they finally ordered the 2016 style mirrors for both sides. The problem is not fixed. Although the mirrors vibrate less than the original mirrors did, there is still a very noticeable vibration/shake on the driver's side mirror while driving 65-70mph. I'm not sure if the issue is with the mirror itself or the lack of structural support in the doors (the body panels are super thin).

I do not believe Mazda will ever have a fix for this - its something I will have to learn to live with.

Yeah, my dealer is willing to attempt the fix, but, he didn't seem to have a very high confidence level that it would actually fix the problem without messing something up from having the door mechanics taken apart. High likely-hood of creating a new problem.

The door panel and mirror removal/installation is super easy and straightforward. Other than a few door clips on the interior door panel, nothing should break as long as the mechanic doing the work is competent. I will say that the mirror housing, turn signal LED, glass and bezel all come separate and have to be assembled prior to mounting the mirror, as opposed to the entire assembly coming as one part.

This whole mirror issue has been well documented by Mazda, but they can't seem to resolve it. Here is a brief history that I have come to understand from the service manager as my dealer (he is a great guy and knows his stuff):

1) Original mirror - Mazda issued a TSB which involved installing a steel brace between where the mirror mounts and the side impact beam. The idea was to provide a more rigid mount thus eliminating movement. This steel brace eventually made its way into new production vehicles after a certain VIN (the brace became part of the door structure and was welded to the door, as opposed to the bolt on part provided for the TSB).

2) The fix above did not solve the problem, so Mazda began using the same original styled mirror assembly except this time they put a large gob of epoxy inside the housing. The idea was to increase rigidity by strengthening/supporting the black plastic housing. This also did not solve the problem.

3) Mazda (in the USA) under warranty, began installing the 2016 styled mirrors (introduced to mass production starting in April 2014 for the later 2015 model year) on 2014/2015 models. This also has not solved the problem. However, compared to the original mirror without the brace, epoxy, etc, it is an improvement, but still not considered resolved as the mirror still shakes when driving at highway speeds.

What has stumped me is why the passenger side mirror doesn't seem to exhibit the same problems.

Last edited:
Back