Rear Parking sensors

garrett62

:
possible 2016 CX-5 owner
Has anyone added the dealer option rear parking sensors to their CX-5? If so, what was the cost? Did they color match them to the bumper?

(by the way, I can not believe rear parking sensors are not part of one of the packages, along with remote start)

Not sure how much my mom paid for it, but they're like $500 separately from this site: http://accessories.mazdausa.com/web...ected=2014&modelSelected=&modelName=2015+CX-5

our dealer at least didn't paintmatch them , taking pics now
yli13TF.jpg

Last edited:
I have them on my 2015 and never notice them. I'm pretty sure all CX-5's have the holes for them in the bumpers, just missing the sensors. The cost should be listed on the website, and truecar.com, for dealer installed options. Some dealers actually install random options on different vehicles, so it could be a matter of finding a vehicle that the dealer installed them on. That's how I ended up with roof rails and wheel locks, the car I wanted just happened to have these extra options installed by the dealer.

I'm pretty sure remote start isn't a part of a package because honestly, it's not that great, I mean it is when you need it, but it's an extra fob, and who wants that? And the rear parking sensors aren't integrated with any systems in the vehicle, you can't even adjust the volume on the darn things, which can become pretty annoying.

I have them on my '14 GT, they were already installed when I bought it. Above, CX5671, his picture looks like they are mounted on the painted portion of the bumper...I believe this is incorrect. Mine are on the lower plastic portion of the rear bumper - the installation instructions posted above also show them at this location (plastic part). The color of the sensors is a perfect match to the plastic color. There is an on/off switch located inside the rear hatch area to the left.

As for how well they work...they work, maybe a bit too well. I had parking sensors on my previous '12 Ford Focus and they were a lot more precise. Precise meaning, they beeped when you were actually in real danger of hitting something. The senors on the CX5 start beeping when there is a lot of space between the car and an object - this is bad because it may confuse you on why they are beeping when your mirrors show a lot of clearance between the car and an object.

Another example, on the Focus sensors, they would give a constant beep when you were 1 foot or less from hitting an object. The CX5 starts a constant beep with much more than 1 foot of space.

That being said, I still use them - but rely on them much less than on my Focus. Definitely have to use the back up camera & your mirrors a lot more to confirm what is going on then just relying on the beeps from the sensors when pulling into tight spaces -(always use your mirrors/ turning your head when backing into traffic!)

A little off topic but I had a loaner Q50X Sport last year and it had rear fender that was smashed on the side. Someone obviously relied a little too much on the car saving them. This is the one that will basically drive itself down the freeway. It has the top view monitor in addition to rear view monitor as well as all the automatic back up braking options. The toys are fun to have but still use your mirrors and look over should as well. Think of them as supplemental safety and not replacements.

Back